The Student Room Group

Academic researcher

I am finalizing my university options. I have decided on biomedical science because i am extremely, extremely passionate to become an academic who wins awards and progresses the fields of science. How hard is it to become an academic as a biomedical scientce graduate. Assuming I graduate from a top uni like Cambridge how difficult is it to start becoming a person who researches and publishes papers with new ideas ??
Reply 1
You will need to do doctoral and postdoctoral work as well. It is arduous and pretty competitive because the academic job market is dire and has been for the past 10 years. So not impossible but you need to go in with your eyes open.
Reply 2
It is difficult to quantify that. It is a competitive path, of course. Hopefully if you are keen and work hard then things will work out for you.
Reply 3
Original post by AF2Dr
It is difficult to quantify that. It is a competitive path, of course. Hopefully if you are keen and work hard then things will work out for you.

Original post by gjd800
You will need to do doctoral and postdoctoral work as well. It is arduous and pretty competitive because the academic job market is dire and has been for the past 10 years. So not impossible but you need to go in with your eyes open.

Is it easier to become a academic in biomedicine than in maths or physics for example?
Reply 4
Original post by Fermat42647
Is it easier to become a academic in biomedicine than in maths or physics for example?

There might be more funding in certain areas but I think it's a question that cannot really be quantified in any meaningful manner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending