The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Dadeyemi
infinity + 1 = infinity so induction infinity - (- infinity) = infinity + infinity = infinity.

You can't induct to infinity.

yusufu
Yes, but the string is also continuous. :yep:

Ah, but it most certainly isn't, not if it's real! It would only be continuous if between any two atoms we can find another atom, but this is obviously not true if you have two adjacent atoms. The string is discrete!

And what if space itself is discrete? Hehe.
Reply 81
tan 90

:woo:
Simba
It's interesting to note that you can have infinitely many different sizes of infinity. We usually donate the size of N (the natural set) as N\displaystyle \mathbb{N} and proceed from there. This is known as a 'countably infinite' set, as is any set A if we can find a bijection f: N\displaystyle \mathbb{N} -> A.

As an example, consider the set A of all even, positive integers, i.e. A = {2, 4, ...} Then we can construct a bijection f: N\displaystyle \mathbb{N} -> A; let f(x) = 2x. This implies that the set of all even, positive integers is the same size as the set of all positive integers.

As for there being infinitely many different sizes of infinity, here is a proof (and indeed a test of Simba's study of set theory :p: ...)

"Consider the set A. If A is a finite set, then we know that the power set, P(A) (the set of all subsets of the set) is larger in magnitude than A. Indeed, |P(A)| = 2^|A|. This is quite easy to prove if you consider each element of A and whether or not it is included in each subset of A.

Now we move onto the pressing matter - proving that we can create a set bigger than any existing set; even infinite sets. Let our infinite set be B.

For two sets to be of the same size, we require f: B -> P(B) to be a bijective function. If this is not the case, the sets are not the same size. Our aim is to prove that f can not be a bijection.

Define C={xBxf(b)} where CB.\displaystyle C =\lbrace x \in B | x \notin f(b) \rbrace\ where \ C \subseteq B.

Now suppose f is a bijective function. Then xB\displaystyle \exists x \in B such that f(x)=C\displaystyle f(x) = C.

Then xC    xf(x)    xC\displaystyle x \in C \iff x \notin f(x) \iff x \notin C.

A clear contradiction, so f is not a bijection. Hence the power set is larger than the infinite set we started with."

It's a really interesting field to look into if you are interested in set theory and such :smile: .

Here's an interesting tidbit: you can also prove XP(X)X \neq P(X) using diagonalization.

For the purposes of explanation, I'm going to first show the idea with sets that can be listed. Of course, none of the uncountable ones are this way, but doing them is the same idea.

Let X={x1,x2,x3,...}X = \{x_1,x_2,x_3,...\}.

Then, we can represent any subset of XX by the "sequence" (0,1,0,1,1,...)(0,1,0,1,1,...), where the value is 1 if the element is in the subset, and 0 otherwise. For that particular subset, x1,x3x_1,x_3 are not in it, while x2,x4,x5x_2,x_4,x_5 are.

So assume there is a bijection. It would look something like this:

x1(0,1,0,0,1,0,...)x_1 \to (0,1,0,0,1,0,...)
x2(0,1,1,0,1,1,...)x_2 \to (0,1,1,0,1,1,...)
x3(1,0,0,0,1,0,...)x_3 \to (1,0,0,0,1,0,...)

So define the sequence xx as: the nth element if x is the negation of the nth element of xnx_n.

Clearly, xx differs from all xnx_n (at the nth element), so it cannot be in this bijection. This contradicts that the bijection is onto.

------

To do this with uncountable sets, we note that the index of a sequence doesn't necessarily have to be the natural numbers, they can be the elements of XX itself.

So we represent each subset of XX by a sequence: S={sα}αXS=\{s_\alpha\}_{\alpha \in X}, with sα=1s_\alpha=1 if α\alpha is in the subset, and 0 otherwise.

So assume there is a bijection. It would look something like
αSα\alpha \to S_\alpha
βSβ\beta \to S_\beta
γSγ\gamma \to S_\gamma

etc. In fact, we could just write SαS_\alpha as the subset being mapped to by αX\alpha \in X, and there'd be no ambiguity.

So we define the "bad" subset xx similarly: the α\alphath element of x is the negation of the α\alphath element of SαS_\alpha.

Clearly, xx differs from all SαS_\alpha at the α\alphath element. This contradicts that the bijection is onto.

Therefore, P(X) is bigger than X.
Oh, and the definition of the set C in your post is slightly wrong.
Bead

and while we're on it, there is another question regarding infinity. if we have 0.9 recurring, when do we actually reach 1? is 1 just an approximation of 0.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999?

The archemedian principle: given a real number x0x \geq 0,

If x<1nx < \frac{1}{n} for all nNn \in \mathbb{N}, then x=0x =0.

You can prove it by assuming the real numbers are a valid field (I.e if you multiply or divide 2 reals, with the exception of 0, the answer is a real. Hint: would you agree that, for any real number y, there exists natural number N greater than y?)
Reply 85
zero
Reply 86
(read the whole thread)

wow thanks for explaining stuff for me, guys :smile: although i don't understand all, mind 0.0 (i will be looking up on that set theory). but it's weird that infinity, which is not a number, should be treated like a number in maths :rolleyes:
Reply 87
Kolya
Don't forget that:
INFINITY IS NOT A REAL NUMBER

surely it's not a complex number :p:
Hmmm, the answer to this has something to with Cantor's levels of infinity or something like that. basically, infinity is NOT a number, it is a set of numbers, all infinitely bigger than the last. Maybe.
Reply 89
Infinity is not a number, it has NO position on the umber line (complex or real), and can be thought of as the process of counting without end.
Reply 90
DeanK2
Infinity is not a number, it has NO position on the umber line (complex or real), and can be thought of as the process of counting without end.

What about the ends of the real line?

EDIT: And there's no such thing as the complex number line. :smile:
Reply 91
DeanK2

Oh, i thought infinity was a number - thanks for helping me out :smile:

Wouldn't it just be an infinity bigger then the other two?
They can be bigger then one another y'know :s-smilie:
Reply 92
DeanK2
I've spent months (literally months) wandering about infinity.

Did you get there?
Reply 93
I'm vaguely amused by the fact that the real number line is a closed set, yet its boundary is empty. It's somewhat mind-boggling.
Reply 94
There is no actual end to the number line. However, there does seem to be some coonfusion (slighlty off topic) as to why a circle's circumference is not exact.
A rational number can be expressed in the form (p/q). So, taking a rational number (such as 2) and splitting it half. And then one of those pieces in half again. And so on... you can create an infinite series that will CONVERGE to 2.

The difference with pi is that it is IRRATIONAL. A series can be used to converge to pi, but you cannot terminate the series, or add up infintely many terms. So, the circle's circumference can be 'trapped' between values, yet will not have an exact value.
Reply 95
It has an exact value, defined by the limit of the series. It just so happens that value is not rational.
DeanK2
There is no actual end to the number line.Loosely speaking, \infty lies at both ends of the number line following one-point compactification.

A rational number can be expressed in the form (p/q). So, taking a rational number (such as 2) and splitting it half. And then one of those pieces in half again. And so on... you can create an infinite series that will CONVERGE to 2.
I don't know what you think this is proving; it's not exactly hard to produce an infinite series that will CONVERGE (sic) to pi, y'know.
Reply 97
It isn't hard to produce one at all. When using pi in calculations, you will ALWAYS obtain (unless dividing pi by pi etc) an irrational number hence circumference can only be trapped between two values on the number line, but can never be thought of as a point.
Reply 98
But the definition of convergence means that the limit is trapped between two values that can be arbitrarily close, therefore, it can be considered a point on the real number line.
Reply 99
But pi is a transcendental number and therefore is not required to be given a point on the number line even though the sequence converges.

Latest