The Student Room Group

Teaching at schools—the big problems

Hi guys,

Just thinking about your biggest bugbears with regard to teaching at school. You ever feel that you aren't being supported enough? Or not challenged enough? Obviously this would be very school-dependant but was curious to see what others thought. I saw somewhere that some public/private schools go beyond the syllabus in small tutorials which apparently helps in developing thinking skills (than simply teaching to the test). Was wondering if people would go for this if it was available to everyone? Or you'd just be ok with getting good results at GCSE?
Original post by ickabog
Hi guys,
Just thinking about your biggest bugbears with regard to teaching at school. You ever feel that you aren't being supported enough? Or not challenged enough? Obviously this would be very school-dependant but was curious to see what others thought. I saw somewhere that some public/private schools go beyond the syllabus in small tutorials which apparently helps in developing thinking skills (than simply teaching to the test). Was wondering if people would go for this if it was available to everyone? Or you'd just be ok with getting good results at GCSE?

As a public school student, I am predicted 7's but if it meant i could get 8's and 9's I defo would go for it. Sadly, it probably wont happen and if it does, i will be long gone into college/ uni
Reply 2
Original post by nataliegorenx
As a public school student, I am predicted 7's but if it meant i could get 8's and 9's I defo would go for it. Sadly, it probably wont happen and if it does, i will be long gone into college/ uni

So you are saying that you are more worried about the exam results regardless of how you've been taught?
Original post by ickabog
So you are saying that you are more worried about the exam results regardless of how you've been taught?

Kind of, but i guess they both go hand in hand really. Ive been to more than one high school and at my previous school (which was shut down by Ofsted) I was targeted grade 3 but since moving, the way my teachers teach is a dramatic difference to at my old school. If i get good grades i dont mind how teachers teach- they all have their ways
Reply 4
Cool. So if there's an online tool that teaches you tailored lessons to suit your ability, would you pay to use it? Say something that covers the curriculum but doesn't cut down on the rigour? Like a uni-style tutorial?
Original post by ickabog
Cool. So if there's an online tool that teaches you tailored lessons to suit your ability, would you pay to use it? Say something that covers the curriculum but doesn't cut down on the rigour? Like a uni-style tutorial?

perhaps, depends on the price and the usefullness
Original post by ickabog
Hi guys,

I don't think I would go for it as I think my time would be better spent learning for exams.

Quick Reply

Latest