The Student Room Group

foundation year in comp science (help!!!)

hi all, i just applied to sheff hallam for computer science with a foundation year in clearing, and i did biology, sociology and psychology as a-levels (got A*A*A). I was just wondering if its a mistake applying for this course when i didn't take computer science at a-level or maths at a-level. does the foundation year overcome this gap in my knowledge? also if youre wondering why i applied to comp sci its because i became interested around a year ago and now i am fluent in python and i just enojy it so much, but i was just wondering is the mathematic and computer science gap in knowledge too much to the point that i should withdraw my application? (note: i meet the entry requirements and got an 8 in my gcse maths)
thx :smile:
Original post by hi123456789012jb
hi all, i just applied to sheff hallam for computer science with a foundation year in clearing, and i did biology, sociology and psychology as a-levels (got A*A*A). I was just wondering if its a mistake applying for this course when i didn't take computer science at a-level or maths at a-level. does the foundation year overcome this gap in my knowledge? also if youre wondering why i applied to comp sci its because i became interested around a year ago and now i am fluent in python and i just enojy it so much, but i was just wondering is the mathematic and computer science gap in knowledge too much to the point that i should withdraw my application? (note: i meet the entry requirements and got an 8 in my gcse maths)

Hi there :hi:
I've moved your thread into the computer science forum :smile:

I reckon the foundation year will give you a great intro to any learning you need to have before starting the course. It sounds like you are already enthusiastic about the subject and have a good background from GCSE maths so should be fine :yy:

:bump:
Reply 2
Original post by hi123456789012jb

Na, 90% who apply to CS (even having done a level and GCSE) cant code so you will be ahead of us. Plus it aint hard to learn (you mostly just use google and YouTube. CS wise dw bc CS courses will teach the fundamentals as Unis don't expect every student to have take it at a level. However, maths could be a big problem. Although, with a foundation year I assume they will teach you enough. I have to say your probably smart enough to get it but their is a MASSIVE difference between a level maths and gcse. Having done a level CS I only ever you used maths when looking at time complexity of an algorithm, which is a measure of how efficient an algorithm is. You needed to know Logs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UNkQcBrLaQ&ab_channel=InfinityLearnNEET .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending