The Student Room Group

GCSE Further Maths: Yes or No?

I am a year 11 student doing Higher Edexcel Maths GCSE at the moment, and I have just been offered to be entered into AQA Level 2 Certificate: Further Maths.

Is this worth it?

My school only offers this to a small group of people in year 11 and it's completed an hour a week after school, but mostly independent learning at home.

I have been getting grade 9s on my maths exams since year 10 and find most the work right now relatively easy, and I am planning on taking maths next year for A-level.

To anyone who takes this qualification or has been in this situation, should I start the course? And if so, what's it like?

Thank you!
Original post by miiaa450
I am a year 11 student doing Higher Edexcel Maths GCSE at the moment, and I have just been offered to be entered into AQA Level 2 Certificate: Further Maths.

Is this worth it?

My school only offers this to a small group of people in year 11 and it's completed an hour a week after school, but mostly independent learning at home.

I have been getting grade 9s on my maths exams since year 10 and find most the work right now relatively easy, and I am planning on taking maths next year for A-level.

To anyone who takes this qualification or has been in this situation, should I start the course? And if so, what's it like?

Thank you!

Hi! I take Level 2 Additional Maths on WJEC (I’m pretty sure they’re very similar) as one of my option choices and I would 100% recommend it, especially if you want to take a-level maths! I find it really interesting, and it has definitely helped me with my GCSE maths too. I find it so much better than GCSE maths because the topics are more in depth, and you cover some of the things that come up in the pure maths part of a-level maths. It’s probably my favourite option choice! So yes, I would highly recommend it. I don’t find it too hard, and I would definitely say it’s worth it if you want to do maths next year at a-level because it gives you a head start! It’ll also push you a bit more if you are comfortably within the grade 9 in GCSE maths. Hope this helps! :smile:

Is this worth it?

Thank you!

If you are interested in taking Maths A-level, then yes, I would advise taking it. For the most part, the qualification just comprises maths you've already learned in class, but with more challenging questions. Doing these harder style questions now will prepare you for A-level, which requires you to be quite confident with algebra especially. There are only two 'brand new' topics : differentiation and matrices. Differentiation features heavily in A-level maths and matrices come up if you do Further Maths A-level. Learning the basics of these topics early is helpful, if you're able enough, which you clearly are.
Reply 3
Original post by Hannah29482
Hi! I take Level 2 Additional Maths on WJEC (I’m pretty sure they’re very similar) as one of my option choices and I would 100% recommend it, especially if you want to take a-level maths! I find it really interesting, and it has definitely helped me with my GCSE maths too. I find it so much better than GCSE maths because the topics are more in depth, and you cover some of the things that come up in the pure maths part of a-level maths. It’s probably my favourite option choice! So yes, I would highly recommend it. I don’t find it too hard, and I would definitely say it’s worth it if you want to do maths next year at a-level because it gives you a head start! It’ll also push you a bit more if you are comfortably within the grade 9 in GCSE maths. Hope this helps! :smile:

Original post by bluebeetle
If you are interested in taking Maths A-level, then yes, I would advise taking it. For the most part, the qualification just comprises maths you've already learned in class, but with more challenging questions. Doing these harder style questions now will prepare you for A-level, which requires you to be quite confident with algebra especially. There are only two 'brand new' topics : differentiation and matrices. Differentiation features heavily in A-level maths and matrices come up if you do Further Maths A-level. Learning the basics of these topics early is helpful, if you're able enough, which you clearly are.

Thank you!
Reply 4

Is this worth it?

Thank you!

Only take it if you are confident that you're going to get a 9 in GCSE maths. Otherwise it could affect your maths grade and that's the one that matters.

There is very little benefit in taking GCSE FM since you will learn all the content again in Y12 if you do A Level maths.

Quick Reply

Latest