The Student Room Group

Alevel subjects advice

Hello,
I'm currently in Year 11, and I've been giving some serious thought to my A-level subject choices. I'm planning to take Computer Science , Maths , Further maths.
I'd love to hear from those of you who have experience with these subjects at the A-levels. Do you think taking computer science, maths, and further maths is too much of a workload? Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Computer Science, Maths, and Further Maths are all rigorous subjects, and taking all three can be challenging, but it's definitely manageable if you have a strong interest in the subjects. Consequently, effective time management is vital if you want to succeed.
Reply 2
Original post by NoeliaGe
Computer Science, Maths, and Further Maths are all rigorous subjects, and taking all three can be challenging, but it's definitely manageable if you have a strong interest in the subjects. Consequently, effective time management is vital if you want to succeed.

Thank you so much for the reply
Are you doing any of these subjects right now or in university?
Reply 3
Original post by Ryan.Seb
Hello,
I'm currently in Year 11, and I've been giving some serious thought to my A-level subject choices. I'm planning to take Computer Science , Maths , Further maths.
I'd love to hear from those of you who have experience with these subjects at the A-levels. Do you think taking computer science, maths, and further maths is too much of a workload? Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, I’m a current year 13 student taking these subjects and physics as well. It’s definitely an intense combo but definitely well suited and manageable. If you have any other questions I’m happy to help and feel free to send me a message!
Reply 4
Original post by Izzy-06
Hi, I’m a current year 13 student taking these subjects and physics as well. It’s definitely an intense combo but definitely well suited and manageable. If you have any other questions I’m happy to help and feel free to send me a message!

Helloo, Did you take further maths during your GCSE? If yes , should i take it or no?
I am predicted a grade 9 for maths.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Ryan.Seb
Helloo, Did you take further maths during your GCSE? If yes , should i take it or no?
I am predicted a grade 9 for maths.

I didn’t as my school didn’t offer it. As far as I’m aware it covers some of the AS content so could be helpful but it may be better to just focus on your current GCSEs to get the best possible grade in those as you’ll understand AS maths fine if you’re predicted a 9. I didn’t have to many issues and I achieved a grade 8 which was like 2 marks of a nine. However, I’m unaware of your workload so it could be a great thing to take on but be aware of the extra time and attention needed.

Quick Reply

Latest