The Student Room Group

2020/21 Detective Constable Met Police Grad Scheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vikingqueen90
I wouldn't put much thought into that theory, we've all passed and will eventually get an offer/start date. Whilst recruitment said they're doing Aug/Sept start dates at present, she did tell me they have Oct/Nov intakes also. Plus i'm sure there will be more start dates in 2022

I think the inconsistency is the frustrating part. Plus, I appreciate police recruitment is not a case of a month's notice like ordinary jobs, but people have applied in Nov '20 and waiting for a '22 start is crazy as you're left in the dark for so long!
Which BCU are decent? I'm not from London and I've only been twice (for the day 2 and medical). I'm looking West ways but does anyone have any advice?
Original post by Twrees
Thank you! I don't have a clue to be honest, I've looked for the scores in my email/portal and can't find them, but I don't remember them being exceptional.

Ah no worries, thanks for looking though :smile:
Original post by Eagle2404
Which BCU are decent? I'm not from London and I've only been twice (for the day 2 and medical). I'm looking West ways but does anyone have any advice?

They’ll all have something different to offer and different problems - although as a TDC it’s not quite as different as it is for PCs.

AW, CN and AS are your classic central London boroughs with the exciting trendy bits as well as some outer bits. CE has a lot of deprivation and a lot of hipster nonsense places. NW and NA have big suburban areas and also some crazy gang problems in places like Brent and Haringey. WA is just huge covering massive boroughs. The south ones I don’t know a lot about - I hear the one with Croydon in it is just pure suburbia.

I’d go with two of AW, CN, AS and CE and then any one of the others.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lolalee
Beginning of June I passed everything and now vetting has disappeared off my portal too. So confusing. It seems they are placing people dependent on their first day score, mine was about average. So I don’t expect a quick call. I did call recruitment and the guy said that it’s too late for a July start and they are not doing a start date in August so the next one will be 15th September. So fingers crossed for us all.

The next start date is September?
What is everyone doing whilst they are waiting? I can’t really take a “proper job” and I’m currently having to work in an Amazon warehouse! I haven’t had a grad job since completing my masters, but I don’t want to apply for any as I’m set on the police. It feels like I’m in some form of purgatory. It’s really starting to get me down tbh.
Original post by Twrees
I might have been lucky to be fair. I hope you get a call soon! The wait sucks but it's worth it 😁

I think it’s just unpredictable. I too applied beginning November 2020.
Original post by augustusiii
What is everyone doing whilst they are waiting? I can’t really take a “proper job” and I’m currently having to work in an Amazon warehouse! I haven’t had a grad job since completing my masters, but I don’t want to apply for any as I’m set on the police. It feels like I’m in some form of purgatory. It’s really starting to get me down tbh.

I'm the same as you, it's really hard to plan! I've had to get a part time role just to make some money, but feel bad that at some point I'll be quitting. That's the frustrating part, can't plan anything really life wise
Original post by Lolalee

Same here, did you get the results for assessment day 1? I'm still waiting.
Original post by CW9710
I'm the same as you, it's really hard to plan! I've had to get a part time role just to make some money, but feel bad that at some point I'll be quitting. That's the frustrating part, can't plan anything really life wise

Me too. I’m in a temporary role that goes on until December. Not knowing when I’ll be starting with the MET is making me feel like I’m deceiving them.
FYI some new slots for the medical assessment have just become available 👍🏽
Original post by Lolalee

Me too. Where are you on your application?
Original post by Lolalee
Me too. I’m in a temporary role that goes on until December. Not knowing when I’ll be starting with the MET is making me feel like I’m deceiving them.

That is the reason I’ve turned down a few offers. I don’t want to quit after starting a role and I would have to lie at interview. I am, however, doing 10 hour shifts in an Amazon warehouse and getting treated like dirt. I just want some certainty.
Original post by augustusiii
Me too. Where are you on your application?

Waiting for a start date now, I think my day one scores were average, if that’s what they going by. I cleared everything beginning of June. How about you?
Reply 1194
Has anyone due to start completed the Babcock\apprenticeship online tests?
Original post by Lolalee
Waiting for a start date now, I think my day one scores were average, if that’s what they going by. I cleared everything beginning of June. How about you?

Wow, congrats, your application got through relatively fast.
Original post by Lolalee

I really hope you hear soon. I’m waiting for the internal review of my vetting to be completed.
Original post by Kratos unkind
Wow, congrats, your application got through relatively fast.

I applied in November 2020, so about average at the moment. 7 months. How about you?
Original post by Lolalee
I applied in November 2020, so about average at the moment. 7 months. How about you?

Feels like it's been forever so thought I had applied in late 2020 lol. Turns out I had applied in late January 2021. Refreshing emails everyday and checking the portal 50 times a day is a nightmare, but I guess we're all in the same boat lol. The uncertainty and hope that I'll land the job is preventing me from applying to other jobs which is annoying. Happy for you still,
Original post by Kratos unkind
Feels like it's been forever so thought I had applied in late 2020 lol. Turns out I had applied in late January 2021. Refreshing emails everyday and checking the portal 50 times a day is a nightmare, but I guess we're all in the same boat lol. The uncertainty and hope that I'll land the job is preventing me from applying to other jobs which is annoying. Happy for you still,

Thanks. Yes we all are in the same boat. Refreshing the portal several times a day! But hopefully we all hear soon. I heard that they are putting all the new starters in each cohort together at the same Uni so that we could bond better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending