The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1020
K.T.
... surely it's going to sink? :p:

:rofl: it's crap and funny at the same time :biggrin:
Reply 1021
acrosstheuniverse
Meh, I wouldn't bother with the Air, looks good but entirely unpractical and I've heard not so great things. I got my Macbook on Wednesday and was going to bump up the hard drive to 250 but just got a 250GB external hard drive instead. I'm not sure they actually offer the 4GB RAM and 250Gb in the actual stores, not with the current Macbooks anyway. May have to order them, or order online which I didn't want to do as I wanted mine before Uni. Higher education discount has the added bonus that until October 31st you can get a rebate of £95 off ipods, and currently you can also get a £60 rebate on printers. Bah, I don't think the new laptops will come on October 14th, nice predicition but they keep pushing it back!:mad:

Yeah, the Air is stunning but a bit too limited for my needs - portability is important for me but not the ultimate factor in deciding. You can get 250GB and 4GB RAM online with the current ones, so I assume you can get even bigger hard drives with the new ones, since you can get 500GB laptop drives now. That's what they want people to do, buy up all the old stock for going to uni and then launch the new ones for Thanksgiving in the US and Christmas. I've waited 6 months, what's another month? I won't get it before I start on the 4th anyway. Thanks for the rebates info!
Reply 1022
Do you language people find it easier to learn a language when systematically learning grammar, vocab and other linguistic elements, or do you find it easier to just immerse yourself in the language and kinda pick it up from there? I remember learning German and I honestly detested learning stuff systematically, even if someone repeated something a million times it wouldn't get through into my head... but I went to Germany and the grammar + vocab sort of magically registered and I became a bit better at it :s-smilie:. I don't know really, as linguists you're probably good at both, but I was wondering what you're better at?
Zoedotdot
I don't have as much stuff as I thought I did either. Admittedly, I haven't started packing my clothes yet, but I'm only on my third box! Thought I was going to have to streamline a lot more, but I'm managing to take about 20 scarves with me so I'm not exactly pushed for space. And thank you for the rep Jolly Louis :smile: I am feeling okay ta!

Good :smile:. I'm on my first box and have packed everything that my parents will let me take. So I've got 1 mug, a bar of soap, some shampoo, a multio-socket plug and some towels. Oh well, I'll be able to get everything else when I'm there.
Reply 1024
invisibleforest
-hides because i got sent that stuff-

... well, links to that stuff anyway. xD

Did you get the 'outline of mims lectures' and the cell biology shizzle? :smile:

<3

No :frown:
lauuuura

Oh, and ukebert, i can play bridge, sort of :smile:

Excellent, one more for the Bridge Meet :p:

How many have we got now? 4? 5?

And 'sort of' is about my standard too :o:
n1r4v
Do you language people find it easier to learn a language when systematically learning grammar, vocab and other linguistic elements, or do you find it easier to just immerse yourself in the language and kinda pick it up from there? I remember learning German and I honestly detested learning stuff systematically, even if someone repeated something a million times it wouldn't get through into my head... but I went to Germany and the grammar + vocab sort of magically registered and I became a bit better at it :s-smilie:. I don't know really, as linguists you're probably good at both, but I was wondering what you're better at?

heya, im a linguist and i find that its much more enjoyable to learn the language by being immersed in it, but i find that if i really try i make much more progress (at least in the beginning stages) when i just sit with a textbook. although the latter method requires so much concentration.

lol i was just sitting with my arabic textbook then, and getting really bored so came online :p:
Zoedotdot
I've done two questions, thank you very much :p: I can now say "Mary is an English student. She understands the English language and speaks in English" in Russian. My book is so exciting. About to do a lovely bit of translation :love:

I take it all back :puppyeyes: That's actually very impressive for a person that has begun Russian completely from scratch :smile:

Translation is always lovely, I miss French :frown: I'll have to keep my French cinema fetish going while I'm at uni to try and maintain a reasonable level :smile:
Reply 1028
Have you seen this too Danielle?
http://www.bio.cam.ac.uk/sbs/facbiol/mvst/fabflier_2008-09.pdf
Looks like we'll have some awful photos taken on the Wednesday morning. Nooooooooooooooo. :frown:
Hehe.
*stars and stripes*

Translation is always lovely, I miss French :frown: I'll have to keep my French cinema fetish going while I'm at uni to try and maintain a reasonable level :smile:

have you seen 'au revoir les enfants' or 'la vie en rose'? i have those and really like them!
Reply 1030
ukebert
Excellent, one more for the Bridge Meet :p:

How many have we got now? 4? 5?

And 'sort of' is about my standard too :o:

:woo:
Bidding isnt my strong point and i always end up going terribly under or over! My dad tried to teach me my mum and my sister over various summers - we would always play on holiday in the evenings!!

Talking of holidays, im so excited, I'm going to Australia next year :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Just thought id share my excitement, and sorry for spamming!
zedliv
Have you seen this too Danielle?
http://www.bio.cam.ac.uk/sbs/facbiol/mvst/fabflier_2008-09.pdf
Looks like we'll have some awful photos taken on the Wednesday morning. Nooooooooooooooo. :frown:
Hehe.

I hadn't seen that, no, and now I wish I hadn't. Oh deary, deary me...that's not good *wails* Those are the kind of pictures you can never banish- they pop up everywhere :eek: Maybe if we pretend that this document doesn't exist we can get away with it :wink:
lauuuura
:woo:
Bidding isnt my strong point and i always end up going terribly under or over! My dad tried to teach me my mum and my sister over various summers - we would always play on holiday in the evenings!!

Don't worry about that, the bidding is the difficult bit :p:
Reply 1033
*stars and stripes*
I hadn't seen that, no, and now I wish I hadn't. Oh deary, deary me...that's not good *wails* Those are the kind of pictures you can never banish- they pop up everywhere :eek: Maybe if we pretend that this document doesn't exist we can get away with it :wink:

Or just have photos with a very surprised and perplexed expression? :p:
lavalse
have you seen 'au revoir les enfants' or 'la vie en rose'? i have those and really like them!

I've seen both :smile: Au revoir les enfants is a bit of a tear jerker (or maybe I'm just a film wimp :wink:) and La vie en rose is crazy genius :love: Anything by Truffaut is also amazing though :smile:

Foreign films are just great. If anyone wants to watch a good tear jerker I'd recommend a German film, the one about Sophie Scholl...I forget what it's called, hang on...Sophie Scholl Die letzten Tage *sobs* Thank goodness for subtitles though- I don't speak any German!
Reply 1035
n1r4v

Saying english words in a funny accent and gesticulating wildly is where most of my 'talent' lies... Ah, that would be funnier if it weren't also true :s-smilie:
zedliv
Or just have photos with a very surprised and perplexed expression? :p:

I had an awful exam card taken in these kind of circumstances and I could really do without another hideous photo to carry around with me :yep:

Though maybe if I try to look surprised or perplexed then the photo will come out normally...? :p:
Quoting's too difficult, I cannot be bothered :p:

n1r4v - I like the systematic learning, at least to start off with. Language immersion terrifies me. I like learning the basics from scratch first and having lots of rules in my head before I start trying to use them! I'm a bit of a grammar freak :o:

Danielle - I'm quite impressed with myself actually :yep: Although really, you shouldn't be too impressed, that's only the end of chapter 2 out of 7, and I basically just copied the example and changed the gender :p: (Thank you for the lovely PM btw, I will reply a little later when I've finished my translation. It made me smile anyway :smile:)

Jolly Louis (a much more exciting name than LJoll, I feel) - Come and visit meeeee, we have a John Lewis right across the road! I'm taking just slightly more than you :p:
*stars and stripes*
I had an awful exam card taken in these kind of circumstances and I could really do without another hideous photo to carry around with me :yep:

Though maybe if I try to look surprised or perplexed then the photo will come out normally...? :p:

Hahaha... over the past two years... passport photos have become so horrible... you cant look normal on them... they made me retake some because all of my hair didn't fit in...:s-smilie:
Zoedotdot
Jolly Louis (a much more exciting name than LJoll, I feel) - Come and visit meeeee, we have a John Lewis right across the road! I'm taking just slightly more than you :p:

Yep. LJoll is an inexcusably bad name. I'll definitely be visiting you and John Lewis, although I'll probably be quite wobbly on the way back if I end up buying too much. I might take Russian at the languages centre next year too, so you can help me with that while I'm up there.

Latest

Trending

Trending