The Student Room Group

Pgce worries about subject knowledge on placement

Hello I am currently studying my PGCE and really enjoying the experience. I have passed my first placement however my mentor raised concerns to my university tutor regarding my subject knowledge (please keep in mind he was not open to any questions and decided that I should know everything by now). It has really knocked my confidence and i'm worried that going into my KS2 placement, if I get a picky mentor who has a similar outlook my subject knowledge that I will fail my PGCE. I am reflecting and working on gaps in my knowledge continuously to ensure I am doing my best for my class. However I feel really anxious about failing my PGCE due to inadequate subject knowledge. Is this even a thing? Is it possible to fail your PGCE due to this? Just to give some context the subject knowledge he was concerned about was that during one lesson on placement I failed to identify the correct word to define buoyancy (it completely left my head!) and because I asked a question about something that was described differently in the teacher handbook to the way he described it to the class. It seems two strikes and your out! I have a first class degree in psychology I have gained a first in all my PGCE assignments to date and have A-C in all my GCSE's and A-levels. Thanks!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Pgce2020jen
Hello I am currently studying my PGCE and really enjoying the experience. I have passed my first placement however my mentor raised concerns to my university tutor regarding my subject knowledge (please keep in mind he was not open to any questions and decided that I should know everything by now). It has really knocked my confidence and i'm worried that going into my KS2 placement, if I get a picky mentor who has a similar outlook my subject knowledge that I will fail my PGCE. I am reflecting and working on gaps in my knowledge continuously to ensure I am doing my best for my class. However I feel really anxious about failing my PGCE due to inadequate subject knowledge. Is this even a thing? Is it possible to fail your PGCE due to this? Just to give some context the subject knowledge he was concerned about was that during one lesson on placement I failed to identify the correct word to define buoyancy (it completely left my head!) and because I asked a question about something that was described differently in the teacher handbook to the way he described it to the class. It seems two strikes and your out! I have a first class degree in psychology I have gained a first in all my PGCE assignments to date and have A-C in all my GCSE's and A-levels. Thanks!

This reads to me very much like a case of a picky mentor based on what you've described.

Are you primary PGCE? I'm surprised words like buoyancy are even in the curriculum!
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
This reads to me very much like a case of a picky mentor based on what you've described.

Are you primary PGCE? I'm surprised words like buoyancy are even in the curriculum!

Hi thank you for your reply, I was actually doing a Science lessons on materials and one of the children asked me whether an item sinking or floating had anything to do with it being waterproof. The term to explain this is buoyancy and it just totally left my mind! I agree he has been harsh and has really knocked my confidence. I have been left feeling really anxious about my next placement.
Hi thank you for your reply, I was actually doing a Science lessons on materials and one of the children asked me whether an item sinking or floating had anything to do with it being waterproof. The term to explain this is buoyancy and it just totally left my mind! I agree he has been harsh and has really knocked my confidence. I have been left feeling really anxious about my next placement.

Are you primary PGCE?
I'm secondary history, so if you're primary the set up for me is a bit different in terms of members of staff observing and mentor arrangements etc.

But for sure to devote time in your lesson to answering a question on buoyancy when perhaps the majority of the room won't understand or remember that term is something I'd question. Many of my younger pupils are very curious and have lots of questions, so usually my response is "that's a really good question and it's something you're going to find out this lesson/next lesson/next week/at time."

Did you pass? Yes it is possible, I left my chosen subject due to subject knowledge.
Reply 5
Hi i'm not on my final placement in Y4 and I am doing really well. I am due to finish in June
Hi i'm not on my final placement in Y4 and I am doing really well. I am due to finish in June

That's good. I'm went back to teaching after a near 3 year break. I am only teaching KS2/3. I feel it is too hard. I never did an NQT year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending