The Student Room Group

Placement Commute

Hi all,

I've been reading some stories about nightmare commutes to placements! I will be relocating to England from NI for my PGCE in September with my partner and we are planning on leasing an apartment/house for a year!

I've seen posts of students who have had to move to other parts of their county during the course due to insane commute times... this wouldn't be feasible for me as my partner will be working full time from our "base" home for the year+ and we would be sharing a car (I also have 2 cats!)

Would this be enough for the uni to prioritise allocating my placement to commutable distances?

When do you typically get allocated your placements?

I'll be doing a physics PGCE if that helps give more context for your answers!

Thanks 🙏
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Depends on the university policy. Myself and my partner are both university of Manchester pgce students. Me primary and him secondary. On my course they guarantee your commute won't be more than 2 hours. On my partners course they say an hour and a half. Generally though most people's are an hour or less. If you're in a city city you should be fine, but if you choose a university in a small place youll be shooting yourself in the foot because there are a lot less schools nearby
Original post by tsuna0mi
Hi all,

I've been reading some stories about nightmare commutes to placements! I will be relocating to England from NI for my PGCE in September with my partner and we are planning on leasing an apartment/house for a year!

I've seen posts of students who have had to move to other parts of their county during the course due to insane commute times... this wouldn't be feasible for me as my partner will be working full time from our "base" home for the year+ and we would be sharing a car (I also have 2 cats!)

Would this be enough for the uni to prioritise allocating my placement to commutable distances?

When do you typically get allocated your placements?

I'll be doing a physics PGCE if that helps give more context for your answers!

Thanks 🙏

With some universities, they give you the option to find your own placement which would allow you to choose where you are located, but otherwise each university will have a policy where you are within a certain time radius away from the university. They try to place you close but due to the amount of students from partnering universities it can be difficult to secure placements for students nearby. At my university, you can submit your preferences for travel such as if you do/don't have a car or if you can drive a hire car and would be happy to car share. So you wouldn't have to worry about sharing a car with your partner in those circumstances because they could give you another option.

I hope your placements are successful and you enjoy your PGCE!

Rachel
York St John Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending