The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What exactly is the problem with "over preparing"? Like does it slow you down in the exam?
Reply 581
Original post by the.cricketer
What exactly is the problem with "over preparing"? Like does it slow you down in the exam?

Makes you burn out

you will slow down in the exam if you burn out, but there's always red bull to speed you up again lol
Original post by A_J_B
Makes you burn out

I did 5 weeks prep last time round. Is that an ideal length of time for practise?
I did 5 weeks prep last time round. Is that an ideal length of time for practise?

Differs person to person. Generally 4-6 weeks is probably good enough, so that is probably fine.
Reply 585

Depends on how burnt out you felt really.
Usually I would recommend 1-2 months of practice

like others said, you burn out and feel incredibly saturated :frown: i personally think i over-prepared last time and so my scores suffered so that's why i'm back here on the UCAT thread; just take it easy to begin with and then gradually build up

In addition to what everyone said, you may also run out of practice material.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Original post by WTSBLG
like others said, you burn out and feel incredibly saturated :frown: i personally think i over-prepared last time and so my scores suffered so that's why i'm back here on the UCAT thread; just take it easy to begin with and then gradually build up

Yh that's probably what happened to me then lol.. I did over 10K questions in 5 weeks, even when I was getting average 700 in the mocks I ended up getting 2670
I had that problem, I ran through all the questions on medify but luckily i couldnt remember any answers to any questions when I saw them for a 2nd/3rd/4th time
Original post by becausethenight
A BSc thesis, perhaps? :tongue:

3 in fact! Not for a month but I’ll probably disappear for a few weeks soonish :biggrin:
Thank you :hugs:

I’m only on a 109 day streak, I defer to your expertise! :biggrin:

I know, I’m going to keep doing it religiously even after exams in case of resits - at least by then the numbers of cards per day will be pretty low :tongue: Interesting to hear it’s still as popular at Oxford when your course is pretty different?

Yeah, mega popular here. We have both MCQ exams and essay exams, I use them for the MCQ component and it works well. The more I use it, the more I get into the add-ons and MOD packages. Do you use things like Image occlusion enhanced and cloze??

James 😊
Y2 Oxford Medical Student
Medic Mind
Original post by McGinger
You don't need either. These are commercial companies set up purely to extract ££ from gullible 17 year olds.
If you needed this sort of 'help, the Uni would run their own courses - they dont, because you dont need it.

UCAT is an aptitude test - you cannot be coached for this as it is not a test of knowledge. There are plenty of past UCAT questions etc online - practise some and get familiar with the format of the test. That is all you need to do.

Thousands of people excel at UCAT every year and get places at Med School without doing any of these daft courses.
Don't waste your money.

Hey @McGinger :smile:

While I admire your passionate stance on this topic, please be careful with the the advice that you give. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'you cannot be coached' but you absolutely can learn techniques and methods that will improve your UCAT score.

I would encourage candidates to look back through this thread and read posts from myself and others on methods and tips that can help improve your UCAT score! You can find lots of free resources online that will help with developing good UCAT technique.

James 😊
Medic Mind
Original post by gogrizz123
you will slow down in the exam if you burn out, but there's always red bull to speed you up again lol

@gogrizz123

Recently I've started drinking darjeeling tea, and oh boy that stuff is like a natural, healthy alternative to red bull. You just feel so alive. Honestly, give it a go. I think I buy mine from tescos. Really helps me study.

This post is not in anyway a paid promotion for darjeeling tea growers or tescos. @redbull please don't sue.

James 😊
Medic Mind
Original post by Medic Mind
Yeah, mega popular here. We have both MCQ exams and essay exams, I use them for the MCQ component and it works well. The more I use it, the more I get into the add-ons and MOD packages. Do you use things like Image occlusion enhanced and cloze??

James 😊
Medic Mind

Didn't realise you guys had MCQs as well - only ever hear from people complaining about the essays :biggrin:
Of course - how could I screengrab all my lecture slides for highly efficient Ankification without IO :lol: I quite like Cloze too but it can become a bit of a lazy shortcut, just pasting in a huge chunk of text from Grey's or something.
Original post by Medic Mind
@gogrizz123

Recently I've started drinking darjeeling tea, and oh boy that stuff is like a natural, healthy alternative to red bull. You just feel so alive. Honestly, give it a go. I think I buy mine from tescos. Really helps me study.

This post is not in anyway a paid promotion for darjeeling tea growers or tescos. @redbull please don't sue.

James 😊
Medic Mind

il give it a try!
I am planning on doing the UCAT as soon as they start testing (26th July) and begin preparing steadily from late may/early june. Are there any disadvantages of doing the UCAT in the really early slots?
I am planning on doing the UCAT as soon as they start testing (26th July) and begin preparing steadily from late may/early june. Are there any disadvantages of doing the UCAT in the really early slots?

I have the same question

Original post by Paranoiaa
I have the same question @ecolier

The only slight disadvantage I can think of, is NOT knowing how other people have done.

The interim UCAT scores will usually be released in September... but knowing it - will it be to your advantage or add to your pressure? Who knows.

I would still advise doing it early - you don't want to be leaving it until the end of September in case you can't take it for whatever reason, then you'd be really stressed.

Post originally created by ecolier.
Reply 598
It’s exactly the same test regardless of when you sit it. The only difference is that it may be more convenient to sit it early and get it out of the way. It makes no difference on the difficulty, questions or scores given.
I will be taking it nice and early because if the interim scores are high again (as I expect they will be) it will just make me more anxious to know the bar I have to clear. I'm going to get it over and done with, then spend my summer thinking about anything but GEM.

Latest

Trending

Trending