The Student Room Group

Access to HE - Medicine

Hi all,

I just was hoping to get in contact with anyone who has taken an Access to HE medicine course and actually got into a medical school. I’m starting an Access to HE course at the City of Bristol in September after working in the RUH in Bath for 2 years.

Could you guys let me know about your UCAT scores and how you found the access course? How easy/hard did you find getting distinctions in the modules?

I know none of it really matters, as it’s not going to affect my chances of getting in but it’s always nice to hear what others have to say.

Thanks all
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Original post by JP_1967
Hi all,

I just was hoping to get in contact with anyone who has taken an Access to HE medicine course and actually got into a medical school. I’m starting an Access to HE course at the City of Bristol in September after working in the RUH in Bath for 2 years.

Could you guys let me know about your UCAT scores and how you found the access course? How easy/hard did you find getting distinctions in the modules?

I know none of it really matters, as it’s not going to affect my chances of getting in but it’s always nice to hear what others have to say.

Thanks all

You want to talk to people who have done the access course at Bristol. Access courses leave a lot up to the teacher(s) to decide.
A higher UCAT score will give you more options. Practicing will give you a higher score.
Original post by BoomBoxBeitch
You want to talk to people who have done the access course at Bristol. Access courses leave a lot up to the teacher(s) to decide.
A higher UCAT score will give you more options. Practicing will give you a higher score.

You should do the access to medicine course at the College of West Anglia. It has the highest rate of success and is the most widely accepted. 8/9 of my class got offers from places: Exeter, Kent and Medway, Cambridge, Liverpool, Lancaster, Edinburgh. I am the only one without an offer, due to my UCAT and BMAT. I am reapplying for 2024 entry, all of my class got distinctions all round, owing to the standard of teaching, guidance and push of the teachers.

If you earn under £30,000, the college can pay £450 towards the cost of your rent during term time. I came into my own on this course, being surrounded by driven people.

I sing the praises to the quality of the course and teachers.
Reply 4
Original post by Max Sirius 2
You should do the access to medicine course at the College of West Anglia. It has the highest rate of success and is the most widely accepted. 8/9 of my class got offers from places: Exeter, Kent and Medway, Cambridge, Liverpool, Lancaster, Edinburgh. I am the only one without an offer, due to my UCAT and BMAT. I am reapplying for 2024 entry, all of my class got distinctions all round, owing to the standard of teaching, guidance and push of the teachers.

If you earn under £30,000, the college can pay £450 towards the cost of your rent during term time. I came into my own on this course, being surrounded by driven people.

Not sure I could stomach the 4.5 hours journey each day Ahaha
Original post by Max Sirius 2

out of interest is that £450 per term? my college ESCG has a travel bursary with a similar criteria, covered my travel from Brighton to Lewes.

good luck :smile:
Original post by BoomBoxBeitch
out of interest is that £450 per term? my college ESCG has a travel bursary with a similar criteria, covered my travel from Brighton to Lewes.

good luck :smile:

It was per month during term time. Out of term, say Christmas holidays, you would pay the outstanding for the 2 weeks you were not in college.
Original post by JP_1967
Not sure I could stomach the 4.5 hours journey each day Ahaha

If you meet the financial criteria, you could relocate. It is about investing in yourself and giving yourself the best chance. I relocated from London. How I pushed through having no medical school offers was the sacrifice I had made travelling back and forth.
Reply 8
Original post by JP_1967
Hi all,

Thanks all

Hi,

I am thinking of applying to Bristol. If you had already started are you able to share how your experince has been?

Many thanks
Reply 9
Original post by xfox
Hi,

I am thinking of applying to Bristol. If you had already started are you able to share how your experince has been?

Many thanks

Hi there,

I'm still doing the access course. Around half way through or so now. I've one interview at St George, and have Bristol and Manchester in Jan. Getting the interviews is just about your UCAT score. I got 2840 B1 this summer. Still waiting to hear from Liverpool though.

The access course is definitely manageable. First few months was tiring though especially if you are working. Getting all distinctions definitely adds to the pressure. Let me know if you have any other Qs.
I did Access to HE but it was in science rather than medicine. It is certainly possible to get full distinctions for all units but it requires dedication and commitment. This is helped considerably if the group as a whole or several people in it are similarly motivated- group up with them and their enthusiasm will shine on you. If the teaching staff know this they will also be inclined to push you harder than they otherwise might. One of our teachers formerly worked in an NHS pathology laboratory and the so the course was orientated in such a way that we could create assignments based on subjects that fitted with our intended area of study. For example, for a physics unit I created a very detailed presentation on brachytherapy.

I treated the Access course as if it was University itself: every piece of work was prepared, written and referenced to a standard that would have been acceptable in any undergraduate degree program. It is an excellent way to prepare for the demands of any degree and completing it will give you a great confidence boost in the years ahead. I recall that Bristol had very stiff entry requirements in terms of grades from the Access course so you need to be pretty dedicated from day 1 of the course.

If you live in or near Bristol and intend to study medicine I strongly suggest you apply for the Pathways to health sciences (formerly access to Bristol) which is aimed at people living in the region who wish to study med/dent/vet. If you have been working in the RUH (which is an ace hospital btw) the pathways team will definitely look carefully at your application.

Keep up the focus, keep doing some healthcare shifts and if you need any other help by all means PM me as I have done exactly what you are intending to do.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by ErasistratusV
I did Access to HE but it was in science rather than medicine. It is certainly possible to get full distinctions for all units but it requires dedication and commitment. This is helped considerably if the group as a whole or several people in it are similarly motivated- group up with them and their enthusiasm will shine on you. If the teaching staff know this they will also be inclined to push you harder than they otherwise might. One of our teachers formerly worked in an NHS pathology laboratory and the so the course was orientated in such a way that we could create assignments based on subjects that fitted with our intended area of study. For example, a for a physics unit I created a very detailed presentation on brachytherapy.

I treated the Access course as if it was University itself: every piece of work was prepared, written and referenced to a standard that would have been acceptable in any undergraduate degree program. It is an excellent way to prepare for the demands of any degree and completing it will give you a great confidence boost in the years ahead. I recall that Bristol had very stiff entry requirements in terms of grades from the Access course so you need to be pretty dedicated from day 1 of the course.

If you live in or near Bristol and intend to study medicine I strongly suggest you apply for the Pathways to health sciences (formerly access to Bristol) which is aimed at people living in the region who wish to study med/dent/vet. If you have been working in the RUH (which is an ace hospital btw) the pathways team will definitely look carefully at your application.

Keep up the focus, keep doing some healthcare shifts and if you need any other help by all means PM me as I have done exactly what you are intending to do.

Ah nice to hear! Did you end up studying medicine?

I finished access to Bristol a few weeks ago actually. Pathways to Health sciences has gone now. Was definitely a useful experience.
did you end up studying medicine?
Reply 13
Original post by tanishaqueen02
did you end up studying medicine?

who me? I'm still doing the access course atm. Have 2 interviews coming up. One is Bris on the 22nd
Original post by JP_1967
who me? I'm still doing the access course atm. Have 2 interviews coming up. One is Bris on the 22nd

Let me know if you need any help whatsoever.
Reply 15
Original post by JP_1967
Hi there,

I'm still doing the access course. Around half way through or so now. I've one interview at St George, and have Bristol and Manchester in Jan. Getting the interviews is just about your UCAT score. I got 2840 B1 this summer. Still waiting to hear from Liverpool though.

The access course is definitely manageable. First few months was tiring though especially if you are working. Getting all distinctions definitely adds to the pressure. Let me know if you have any other Qs.

Thanks for getting back to me! Sounds promising!

I am going to apply and might have some more questions down the line

Good luck with the rest of it 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending