The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tipexmaster25
If it's the one that's currently listed on amazon, yes I think it will be. I used it for 2020 UCAT and it was pretty sound, all the sections (VR, QR etc.) were in there. The only thing I'll say is that the QR section in that part was more difficult than it should be (but question difficulty can sometimes just vary down to what resources you decide to use). For the rest of it, it was still quite useful so I would recommend.

Thank you!!! Anyways, rooting for you to get those offers this cycle.
Thats mad, but all worth it in the end right?

Spoiler

I love to complain about having to do interviews and all, but in a way it is good that they're trying to make us better-informed about the career. Probably after 6 years of studying I should hope most people have accepted that money isn't something that's gonna fly into your bank account really quickly, especially if some of your non-medical friends have graduated 2 years earlier and are in a stable job! Its a good thing that salary isn't the only element of a career eh
Original post by candidate415
Thank you!!! Anyways, rooting for you to get those offers this cycle.

No problem! Let me know if there's anything else you're curious about. And thank you :biggrin::biggrin:
Thats mad, but all worth it in the end right?

Well I'd be biased because I am on the other side, helping to administer the exams :lol:

I love to complain about having to do interviews and all, but in a way it is good that they're trying to make us better-informed about the career. Probably after 6 years of studying I should hope most people have accepted that money isn't something that's gonna fly into your bank account really quickly, especially if some of your non-medical friends have graduated 2 years earlier and are in a stable job! Its a good thing that salary isn't the only element of a career eh

You'd hope so, but a lot of people (I'd ever say the vast majority) don't have a clue about https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6026828

Post originally created by ecolier.
Well you know what they say. You either die an exam-sitter, or live long enough to see yourself become the administrator

For some reason I thought you were gonna link to like, a montage of the worst misconceptions ever posted in the 2020-2021 medicine interviews megathread. Idk if that exists but it should :tongue:
Well you know what they say. You either die an exam-sitter, or live long enough to see yourself become the administrator

Lol I have never heard of that - you learn something every day.

The GMC has limited the amount of times you can retake any part of an exam since 2014 - to 6 times maximum (or less depending on the Royal Colleges).

If one cannot pass within the limits, you'd have to change your specialty!

For some reason I thought you were gonna link to like, a montage of the worst misconceptions ever posted in the 2020-2021 medicine interviews megathread. Idk if that exists but it should :tongue:

I would probably make a separate thread for that :tongue:

That's tough, I mean as an A-Level student 6 times sounds like quite a few but I'm assuming they're not gonna give you a 3-marker on 'Compare and contrast the structure of a vein and an artery'. Can you imagine if they did that for other tests too? 😂Like sorry mate you've failed your driving test twice now, guess you're stuck with your bike for the rest of your life
That's tough, I mean as an A-Level student 6 times sounds like quite a few but I'm assuming they're not gonna give you a 3-marker on 'Compare and contrast the structure of a vein and an artery'. Can you imagine if they did that for other tests too? 😂Like sorry mate you've failed your driving test twice now, guess you're stuck with your bike for the rest of your life

Yep, a lot of these tests are run 3 times a year - you book (and pay for) it yourself and of course have to organise work and leave around these.

There's also a limited period during your training when you can take it... for example you must pass the MRCP (three parts) before IMT3 / ST3, officially you must pass the MRCP Part 1 before finishing IMT1 but the earliest you can take it is FY2!

On the other hand, usually if you fail the exams you'd be given extra time (repeat a year basically) to take them - while still working. So that will delay the "youngest you'll be a consultant / GP" age.

I suppose that's the main difference between a student (school and uni) and junior doctor - as a student everything you do is geared towards preparing for the exams; as a doctor taking the exam seems to be "on the side" (the main bulk of your time is working!).

I didn't end up applying for medicine but took the UCAT, just out of curiosity, who has offers and what score did they get?
That sounds like fun. Wait until you tell the people who are planning on applying to medicine but are also strongly for cancelling 2021 GCSEs and A-Levels, I hope its not too much of a shock to the system! I think the prime purpose you have as a student is exams, through school its always been exams and you never really focus on post-16/ post-18 leaving plans. Ofc I have no clue what's in these big-brain exams that you've gotta do after uni but I'd hope they feel more natural with a bit more work and exam experience through the years!
That sounds like fun. Wait until you tell the people who are planning on applying to medicine but are also strongly for cancelling 2021 GCSEs and A-Levels

The post-grad exams were still continuing even throughout November... but stopped during the March-May 2020 lockdown and it's postponed during the current lockdown as well.

I hope its not too much of a shock to the system! I think the prime purpose you have as a student is exams, through school its always been exams and you never really focus on post-16/ post-18 leaving plans. Ofc I have no clue what's in these big-brain exams that you've gotta do after uni but I'd hope they feel more natural with a bit more work and exam experience through the years!

Exactly - everything is worse when you graduate from med school. But DW, enjoy your next 5 / 6 years and don't think about what happens afterwards (for now)!

Reply 71
I know what you mean about the hourly rate because my daughter is a FY1. I certainly wish FY1's earned more and I think they deserve more.... but they're not on minimum wage. I would say they're in a priveleged position compared with many people in this country.

Somebody their age on a full time (40 hours) minimum wage earns about £17k. The £32k (including shifts) my daughter earns for around 48 hours is 1.5 times the hourly rate and almost double the overall salary.

Apologies if that sounds a bit sensitive but when I was a kid my father was on minimum wage. It was hard for the family, and thankfully something my daughter will never have to experience.

Just to add, you guys on here who give up your time to help young people on TSR alongside a very demanding job are amazing. I bet you're amazing doctors too.

Let's hope the next few months aren't as horrendous for you all as they may well be. I have the greatest admiration for you all.
Original post by meddad
I know what you mean about the hourly rate because my daughter is a FY1. I certainly wish FY1's earned more and I think they deserve more.... but they're not on minimum wage. I would say they're in a priveleged position compared with many people in this country.

I don't disagree that with pay rises they'll eventually reach lofty heights. But officially the pay per hour really is £12.49 per hour, compare that with the national living wage minimum of £8.72 per hour I'd say that's grossly inadequate.

https://www.nhsemployers.org/-/media/Employers/Publications/Pay-circulars/Pay-and-Conditions-Circular-MD-32020-NP5.pdf (Page 20, looking at the Pre-2016 contract section, which applies to Scotland, Wales and NI - the amount is still going up with inflation and applies today).

I do feel very strongly about the poor conditions that FY1 doctors have to endure because they have responsibilities far beyond what they earn, in my opinion.

Let's hope the next few months aren't as horrendous for you all as they may well be. I have the greatest admiration for you all.

:ta:

Reply 73
I don't disagree that they're grossly underpaid for what they do and their level of responsibility, particularly when you look at the hourly rate.

I was just saying they're not on a minimum wage. I associate that term with the take home pay you end up with in your bank account at the end of the month. Somebody on minimum wage is most likely struggling to survive, and making difficult decisions about what food goes on the table.

I suspect we have the same view on the underlying issue.

😁
Original post by meddad
...I suspect we have the same view on the underlying issue.

😁

:yy:

Yeah I was just about to ask what would be going on with these sorts of exams in 2021? Ik it's not traditional school lessons as such but you'd still expect that there's disruption to medical training or whatever it is you do to prepare for the post-grad exams. So I'm glad that someone's had the thought to consider this too (I'm guessing it wasn't Gavin!) especially with the amounts of pressure that nhs staff must have on their plates rn!

Everything is worse, I'll keep that in mind. 😂 Then again, everything seems to get worse as you get older and you don't realise until its too late, like I wish I appreciated my Y11 and even Y12 experience cause the only thing I have to look forward to these days is going to the chippy once a week 😭
Yeah I was just about to ask what would be going on with these sorts of exams in 2021? Ik it's not traditional school lessons as such but you'd still expect that there's disruption to medical training or whatever it is you do to prepare for the post-grad exams. So I'm glad that someone's had the thought to consider this too (I'm guessing it wasn't Gavin!) especially with the amounts of pressure that nhs staff must have on their plates rn!

Not ideal - in person interviews for specialty training selections were scrapped for 2020 and a different selection scheme was drafted.

Everything is worse, I'll keep that in mind. 😂 Then again, everything seems to get worse as you get older and you don't realise until its too late, like I wish I appreciated my Y11 and even Y12 experience cause the only thing I have to look forward to these days is going to the chippy once a week 😭

It does get better after registrar training though. Being a consultant is quite good :u:

oh god imagine if Gavin was in charge of the NHS:s-smilie:
I sincerely hope they didn't use Microsoft teams... I hate Microsoft teams :angry:

How long was registrar training for u? And good to know there's light at the end of the tunnel!

Original post by xsowmix

Gavin Williamson makes 3rd U-Turn in BioNTech vaccine order, decides to sell 10m of stock on e-bay in snap-decision
Original post by xsowmix

...Gavin Williamson makes 3rd U-Turn in BioNTech vaccine order, decides to sell 10m of stock on e-bay in snap-decision

Jeremy Hunt wasn't much better :facepalm:

I sincerely hope they didn't use Microsoft teams... I hate Microsoft teams

I don't know what they used... but so far it's been a mixture of Webex, Teams and Zoom.

How long was registrar training for u? And good to know there's light at the end of the tunnel!

For my specialty it was 5 years, it can last between 3 - 8 years.

Latest

Trending

Trending