The Student Room Group

if u studied the great gatsby pls help!

im writing an essay on how fitzgerald made the theme of the american dream interesting by using literary techniques. does anyone have any ideas on what i could write about. i need things in the book that like embody the american dream.
I'm just bullet pointing ideas, so don't come for my incomplete clauses.

Maybe Gatsby's house? How it is described as an "imitation" - links to how even he, a self-made man, will only ever be an "oxford man in a pink suit".... The American Dream is not achievable.
Gatsby's tragic arc and his fall from elevation - not even those who appear to have achieved the dream are safe.
The green light as a symbol of Gatsby's yearning for the American dream. His strong sense of purpose and determination to achieve the dream and, in consequence, Daisy. Perhaps, Daisy becomes a symbol of the American dream for Gatsby - the lines between Love and Ambition blur.
Reply 2
Original post by TooManyCobwebs
I'm just bullet pointing ideas, so don't come for my incomplete clauses.

Maybe Gatsby's house? How it is described as an "imitation" - links to how even he, a self-made man, will only ever be an "oxford man in a pink suit".... The American Dream is not achievable.
Gatsby's tragic arc and his fall from elevation - not even those who appear to have achieved the dream are safe.
The green light as a symbol of Gatsby's yearning for the American dream. His strong sense of purpose and determination to achieve the dream and, in consequence, Daisy. Perhaps, Daisy becomes a symbol of the American dream for Gatsby - the lines between Love and Ambition blur.

thank you very much! this was helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending