The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Anglia Ruskin Film

I am interested in going to Anglia Ruskin University as I am very keen to join the footlights, however, I want to make sure the actual course was worth it when compared to somewhere like Falmouth, or Aberystwyths film courses. How practical is it? I don't want to spend most of my time analysing other peoples work, I'd rather be learning the skills to make my own, as well as gain the opportunities to build a portfolio of work before I've even left.
Essentially I just want to know other people experiences of the Film, or Writing and Film courses here. Thanks, and sorry for the waffle lol
Original post by Anonymous
I am interested in going to Anglia Ruskin University as I am very keen to join the footlights, however, I want to make sure the actual course was worth it when compared to somewhere like Falmouth, or Aberystwyths film courses. How practical is it? I don't want to spend most of my time analysing other peoples work, I'd rather be learning the skills to make my own, as well as gain the opportunities to build a portfolio of work before I've even left.
Essentially I just want to know other people experiences of the Film, or Writing and Film courses here. Thanks, and sorry for the waffle lol

Hello,

That's great that it sounds like you know what you want! And we're really happy to hear you might be considering ARU. I'll give you a bit more information below to help you, but hopefully some students will be along soon to speak more personally about their experience.

Film Studies / Writing & Film Studies has some analytical elements that you mention above, that our Film Production course has less of.

However, all courses offer areas to develop your film-making techniques and you will have the opportunity to make something that you're passionate about, depending what optional modules you take and which course you study. Our equipment, cameras, studios, green-screens and editing suites are available to all students in this particular area, you just have to book them :smile: - This is all explained in your induction weeks, of course.

So both courses are practical but in different ways. The key for our Cambridge School of Creative Industries is to make sure you are ready for your career, prepared and knowledge on industry standard equipment and you ready to approach your next steps when you graduate.

Our BA (Hons) Film Production degree has modules such as
- creating your own portfolio of films
- advanced screen skills for Producing, Directing Performance, Cinematography, Editing, Screenwriting, Sound Post-Production and more.
- We also have a TV module, which will introduce you to the practical discipline of producing television content for broadcast and online platforms. This is a highly practical course than will see you produce content weekly in the TV studio with some programs being streamed live!

Meanwhile, our BA (Hons) Writing and Film Studies offers areas that are more fiction based like:
- Introduction to Short Fiction or writing in a wider sense such as Writing for the Stage and Screenwriting.
- modules on the fundamentals of publishing
- there will definitely be more analytical modules that look at Classical Hollywood or Theorising Spectatorship - which are not in the Film Production course. If these are the areas you want to avoid, it may be that the Film Production degree is better for you.
It should be noted than all degrees will require a certain amount of analysis, in the form of self critique, critical studies or reflection.

I hope I've given you a bit of the information you're after and remember, our Open Days are available On Demand and you can message lecturers for more information that might help you decide what's right for you. If there's particular areas you know you want to cover, let us know below and we will all do our best to get back to you.

Take care
Megan
(edited 3 years ago)
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending