Reply 1
Just expand the brackets and collect the like terms
Reply 2
wouldnt i have to write it with a Pie notations
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Selekt1234
wouldnt i have to write it with a Pie notations

What level are you working at? If you just want a factorization, just take out all the obvious factors you can see - the Pi notation for a product is overkill unless this is for some university course...
Reply 4
Would the answer be let f(x) =(x^3-3)(x^4-4)
Pie Notation f(x)
X=1.....n
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
Would the answer be let f(x) =(x^3-3)(x^4-4)
Pie Notation f(x)
X=1.....n

I'm still not clear on what you're being asked to do here?

Is this a school level question or a university one? Your function has no dependency on an index like 'n', so I'm not clear what value the "product notation" is supposed to have! Are you sure you're not being asked to factorize the expression?
Reply 6
It may be a trivial product (no expansion necessary) involving two terms, starting with i=* and finishing with i=*?
The symmetry in the exponent and constant in each factor suggests it might be, though I'd look at the surrounding questions to see if its likely to be that easy.

Original post by davros

Is this a school level question or a university one? Your function has no dependency on an index like 'n', so I'm not clear what value the "product notation" is supposed to have! Are you sure you're not being asked to factorize the expression?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by mqb2766
It may be a trivial product (no expansion necessary) involving two terms, starting with i=* and finishing with i=*?
The symmetry in the exponent and constant in each factor suggests it might be, though I'd look at the surrounding questions to see if its likely to be that easy.

Just seems a strange way to phrase it tbh. I was rather hoping the OP would come back with more info / background or an image of the question :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by davros
Just seems a strange way to phrase it tbh. I was rather hoping the OP would come back with more info / background or an image of the question :smile:

Hard to argue with that.
Reply 9
Original post by mqb2766
Hard to argue with that.

PRSOM

Actually just realized what you meant by the symmetry of the exponent and constant - could well be that. My mind had jumped into "factorization mode" so I wasn't looking to reformat the expression to introduce an index, but that would make sense.

As you say, without context it's a bit difficult to tell :smile:
Original post by davros

Here is the picture of the actual question

Thanks. Is it expected to be a 1 liner (couple of marks), based on what you've covered in class and surrounding questions?
Reply 12

OK so no more info in the question :smile:

Have you covered similar examples in class for practice? @mqb2766 gave a hint in post #7 but it's difficult to give more without giving the solution away.

Can you think of a way of writing the factors x^3 - 3 and x^4 - 4 in terms of some parameter i which would allow you to introduce the product notation?
Original post by davros
OK so no more info in the question :smile:

Have you covered similar examples in class for practice? @mqb2766 gave a hint in post #7 but it's difficult to give more without giving the solution away.

Can you think of a way of writing the factors x^3 - 3 and x^4 - 4 in terms of some parameter i which would allow you to introduce the product notation?

yeah i figured it out but i just didnt understand the wording in '

product notation'

i got

product_(n=3)^4(x^n - n) = (x^3 - 3) (x^4 - 4)
Thanks for the help guys
Reply 14
yeah i figured it out but i just didnt understand the wording in '

product notation'

i got

product_(n=3)^4(x^n - n) = (x^3 - 3) (x^4 - 4)
Thanks for the help guys

Yeah that's what we were basically getting at - the product notation seems like overkill for such a simple example, but we didn't know what other practice questions you'd seen :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest