The Student Room Group

Dropping out of intercalation?

Hi there,

Am a 5th year medical student who is currently intercalating after completing my finals last year. Currently on an intercalated MSc, which in addition to me hating the course, personal circumstances have driven me to consider dropping out. I have caring responsibilities at home and have recently lost a family member, leading to a further deterioration in my already poor mental health. I came to ask if anyone has any knowledge on the process of dropping out of intercalation? I know I will have to explain to my med school, but will it effect the NHS bursary I receive next year? I know many people will tell me to keep going and persevere, but I am worried for my mental state for trying to continue this degree along with everything else currently going on at home and outside. Any advice or experience would be appreciated, thanks!
I would’ve first said that since it’s February and if you can keep going for a couple more months then you’d be done. But if it’s damaging your mental health then I think you should drop it. What’s the point of doing a MSc and then getting a mental illness in the world. It’s not worth it.
Reply 2
Original post by SparkleFace
I would’ve first said that since it’s February and if you can keep going for a couple more months then you’d be done. But if it’s damaging your mental health then I think you should drop it. What’s the point of doing a MSc and then getting a mental illness in the world. It’s not worth it.

Thanks for the reply - the dates are deceiving, we started late because of covid so we started in October and wouldn't finish until July/August, should've clarified this earlier. I have had agreements on the latter, just trying to make sure ending my intercalation early won't mess up my final year of med school
I think the only way forward is to talk to those leading your course and the med school.

I don't know the answers to your questions I'm afraid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending