The Student Room Group

June 2021 IAL exams cancelled. How do you feel?

After the latest announcement, how do you all feel?

Scroll to see replies

Honestly, kinda relieved but also kinda devastated since I missed my Jan series exam too.
I think I have mixed emotions. I'll probably be able to enjoy learning more now that I'm less stressed about exams, but I'll still be on a grind the next few months. My teachers want weird evidence, which means I'll be remaking all my notes 😭
(edited 3 years ago)
(Original post by ilovephysmath)I think I have mixed emotions. I'll probably be able to enjoy learning more now that I'm less stressed about exams, but I'll still be on a grind the next few months. My teachers want weird evidence, which means I'll be remaking all my notes youre

Youre lucky that you have some type of marks. I am a private candidate, hence I have no marks for predicted grades either
Original post by daylight08
(Original post by ilovephysmath)I think I have mixed emotions. I'll probably be able to enjoy learning more now that I'm less stressed about exams, but I'll still be on a grind the next few months. My teachers want weird evidence, which means I'll be remaking all my notes youre

Youre lucky that you have some type of marks. I am a private candidate, hence I have no marks for predicted grades either

oh no, I'm really sorry :frown: this year though they might have special arrangements for private candidates, but we'll probably have to wait for ofqual to release the results of their consultation
Reply 5
Original post by ilovephysmath
oh no, I'm really sorry :frown: this year though they might have special arrangements for private candidates, but we'll probably have to wait for ofqual to release the results of their consultation

I am taking a mock atm. All ppl in the class were like "OK, it doesn't matter". I don't know whether they will change their mind.
Fortunately I have a safety net due to very high AS results. I can be able to meet my conditional offers of grades AAA or below, but A*AA or above will be slightly harder.
Some students of my country are planning of registering for both AS and A2 in hopes of getting free A* after last year's fiasco 😂
Original post by newlad632
Some students of my country are planning of registering for both AS and A2 in hopes of getting free A* after last year's fiasco 😂

brilliant 😂
Original post by 8013
I am taking a mock atm. All ppl in the class were like "OK, it doesn't matter". I don't know whether they will change their mind.
Fortunately I have a safety net due to very high AS results. I can be able to meet my conditional offers of grades AAA or below, but A*AA or above will be slightly harder.

I hope you do well... Same, I do have a safety thankfully which will probably be at AAA too, but it would only be my last option :frown:
i am taking my IAS and IAL at the same year so im relieved that i dont have to write 13 papers but i am stressed out because if the country i live in goes on lockdown before march (thats when my school is planning on doing mocks) i might get an unfair grade that i wouldve otherwise gotten a higher grade if i actually had written the exam :,)
Can someone PLS explain what the decisions are. My teachers are also confused, all I keep hearing is NO we won’t have exams and YES we will. It makes no sense!!!/&2£29/£:92!
Original post by Alishalol
Can someone PLS explain what the decisions are. My teachers are also confused, all I keep hearing is NO we won’t have exams and YES we will. It makes no sense!!!/&2£29/£:92!

we won't have exams. here's why:
https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/campaigns/pearson-covid-19/rest-of-world-covid-19-coronavirus-update.html
Reply 12
Well I am screwed.
I am an international private candidate. I registered with a local test centre to sit AS FM + AS Phy + A level maths for Jan 2021, which I’ve already done. Now I was supposed to finish AS FM and Phy in June 2021 but the exams have just been cancelled internationally. I can’t get a CAG / TAG since they don’t teach me.
And my Cambridge offer is A*A*A + 1,1
Original post by AzimP
Well I am screwed.
I am an international private candidate. I registered with a local test centre to sit AS FM + AS Phy + A level maths for Jan 2021, which I’ve already done. Now I was supposed to finish AS FM and Phy in June 2021 but the exams have just been cancelled internationally. I can’t get a CAG / TAG since they don’t teach me.
And my Cambridge offer is A*A*A + 1,1

Oh no... I'm really sorry to hear that :frown: I really, really hope it works out for everyone, I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you
Not to sound stupid but what does 1,1 mean?
Reply 14
Original post by ilovephysmath
Oh no... I'm really sorry to hear that :frown: I really, really hope it works out for everyone, I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you
Not to sound stupid but what does 1,1 mean?

STEP grades, a 1,1 in STEP
Original post by AzimP
STEP grades, a 1,1 in STEP

Ahh okay
Excited!
Reply 17
I think that I may eventually get under-predicted as the mock boundaries in my school are too high. They should make it lower especially for the top grades. It is very hard to get a top grade in the mocks at school.
Chemistry A2 (4,5), Physics A2 (4,5):
A* 81, A 72, B 63, C 54, D 45, E 36. The Chem A* boundary is higher than all of the exam series since 2010 (highest was 80), and the A boundary is above both U4 new syllabus exams. The Jan 2021 one is also expected to be in the mid-60s maximum. And for Physics, if you get a B in my school, you will get an A* externally. You will get 120 UMS externally if you get an A. It just made A and A* impossible to get. How can you get above 80 in a new spec Physics paper? Only true geniuses can do that!
Unit 6: A* 45, A 40, B 35, C 30, D 25, E 20
45/50 for A* is insane. This is already enough for 60 UMS every time. And 40 for A is above all exam series bar Jan 2013. 37 will be much better.
And for Physics, sometimes even a C in the mock can be an A externally. This is insane.
For Maths, we have A* 68, A 60, B 52, C 44, D 38, E 30. This looks reasonable, but it should be a bit lower as well, such as an A moved down to 56.
Original post by newlad632

Smart😂😂
Original post by 8013
I think that I may eventually get under-predicted as the mock boundaries in my school are too high. They should make it lower especially for the top grades. It is very hard to get a top grade in the mocks at school.
Chemistry A2 (4,5), Physics A2 (4,5):
A* 81, A 72, B 63, C 54, D 45, E 36. The Chem A* boundary is higher than all of the exam series since 2010 (highest was 80), and the A boundary is above both U4 new syllabus exams. The Jan 2021 one is also expected to be in the mid-60s maximum. And for Physics, if you get a B in my school, you will get an A* externally. You will get 120 UMS externally if you get an A. It just made A and A* impossible to get. How can you get above 80 in a new spec Physics paper? Only true geniuses can do that!
Unit 6: A* 45, A 40, B 35, C 30, D 25, E 20
45/50 for A* is insane. This is already enough for 60 UMS every time. And 40 for A is above all exam series bar Jan 2013. 37 will be much better.
And for Physics, sometimes even a C in the mock can be an A externally. This is insane.
For Maths, we have A* 68, A 60, B 52, C 44, D 38, E 30. This looks reasonable, but it should be a bit lower as well, such as an A moved down to 56.

They are really incredible high

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending