The Student Room Group

Resitting twice - need advice please!

Hi so I’m in a bit of a difficult situation. I sat my a levels in may/june 2023 and due to not having the right teachers and other situations I did quite poorly in them (EED) and resat them in Oct/Nov 2023. I was a bit too ambitious thinking that I only needed 1 month to get A’s and only got CCD in these retakes. I need AAB for pharmacology and am very determined to go to UCL or KCL and am 100% willing to put in the effort. I want to still start uni in September 2024 but I need to retake in May/June 2024 and thus will need to apply now (jan 2024) with predicted grades. My question is how likely will I get offers from any uni and if they are able to see my previous retakes. If you have any advice on my whole situation please let me know I'm so devastated.
Increasing your grades by the amounts you are looking just doesnt happen. You need to be more realistic with your options.
Original post by ghosty080
Hi so I’m in a bit of a difficult situation. I sat my a levels in may/june 2023 and due to not having the right teachers and other situations I did quite poorly in them (EED) and resat them in Oct/Nov 2023. I was a bit too ambitious thinking that I only needed 1 month to get A’s and only got CCD in these retakes. I need AAB for pharmacology and am very determined to go to UCL or KCL and am 100% willing to put in the effort. I want to still start uni in September 2024 but I need to retake in May/June 2024 and thus will need to apply now (jan 2024) with predicted grades. My question is how likely will I get offers from any uni and if they are able to see my previous retakes. If you have any advice on my whole situation please let me know I'm so devastated.

You need to declare all prior sittings of your exams on your UCAS application - failure to do so can lead to UCAS declaring your application fraudulent and any unis that have made you offers being free to nullify those offers. UCAS can also exclude you not only from that year's application cycle, but future years as well. So yes, they will see your previous resit grades as you need to declare them. In terms of getting offers, probably variable depending on the uni.

I think the potential issue for unis like UCL and similar are that they will see you've repeatedly retaken the exams and only gotten relatively marginal gains each time and they would the be concerned about your ability to perform in the course - as you usually just get one chance to resit exams at degree level (sometimes two if you repeat a year, but that has other implications in terms of student finance), and your grades get capped in resits at uni. So they may worry you'll need to resit most of your exams at in the degree as well, and due to having a large number of capped results, come out with a poor classification in the end.

In any event no harm in applying, but be realistic about your chances and choose other courses as well as suitable backups and/or be prepared for the possibility of going through clearing.
Original post by artful_lounger
You need to declare all prior sittings of your exams on your UCAS application - failure to do so can lead to UCAS declaring your application fraudulent and any unis that have made you offers being free to nullify those offers. UCAS can also exclude you not only from that year's application cycle, but future years as well. So yes, they will see your previous resit grades as you need to declare them. In terms of getting offers, probably variable depending on the uni.

I think the potential issue for unis like UCL and similar are that they will see you've repeatedly retaken the exams and only gotten relatively marginal gains each time and they would the be concerned about your ability to perform in the course - as you usually just get one chance to resit exams at degree level (sometimes two if you repeat a year, but that has other implications in terms of student finance), and your grades get capped in resits at uni. So they may worry you'll need to resit most of your exams at in the degree as well, and due to having a large number of capped results, come out with a poor classification in the end.

In any event no harm in applying, but be realistic about your chances and choose other courses as well as suitable backups and/or be prepared for the possibility of going through clearing.

Agree with all of this.

They must list their previous results and even if they have A*A*A predictions this time around they're likely to be viewed with a degree of scepticism.

No harm in applying this cycle, but they need to prioritise getting the results rather than dwelling on their chances of an offer.
Reply 4
Original post by ghosty080

how did you resit in october/ november when they don’t offer results for then anymore? it’s only the summer exams you can resit in right?
Reply 5
Original post by Lime248

how did you resit in october/ november when they don’t offer results for then anymore? it’s only the summer exams you can resit in right?

I took the CIE Cambridge exams. They offer the Oct/Nov resits
Original post by Lime248

International A levels offer autumn resits
what happened did you get any offers mate?
Original post by artful_lounger

Wait even if I took international IGCSE and IAL they can see the resits or no because I didn't get the certificates stamped at British council and it isn't the national GCSE and AL?
Original post by Springback
Wait even if I took international IGCSE and IAL they can see the resits or no because I didn't get the certificates stamped at British council and it isn't the national GCSE and AL?

You need to declare them in your UCAS application (they very clearly state this multiple times in the application itself you must declare all attempted qualifications) therefore unis will see them. Not declaring all qualifications would make UCAS consider your application to be fraudulent, and they can withdraw you from that year's application cycle, universities that have made you offers will be notified and can (and likely will) nullify any offers made, and you can even be excluded from applying via UCAS in future application cycles.

Note also they will be able to cross reference your Unique Learner Number as I understand (I believe even IAL/IGCSE students have this) to see what exams and subjects you have attempted directly from the exam boards. So if you don't declare your subjects (which would make the application fraudulent) they would in fact discover this (and thus you would have all the ramifications of having made a fraudulent application fall upon you).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending