The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

What are my chances of getting into LSE/UCL?

Hello,

I currently have offers for Durham, Warwick, Leeds, Newcastle, for accounting and finance. However, I was told I'd have no chance of getting into the London unis (LSE, UCL), though they were my dream ones because of where they're located.

I have 5 A*S, 4 As and 2Bs at GCSE (I know, not great for these unis) and just got 3 A*s in business, economics, maths in my mock exams, I think that's what I'll get (if I'm lucky!) at the end of the year.

My question is, should I apply for these unis next year? Would I have a good chance of getting in? Should I take physics A level next year to replace business, or should I just go to one of the unis I have an offer from? Thank you.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello,

I currently have offers for Durham, Warwick, Leeds, Newcastle, for accounting and finance. However, I was told I'd have no chance of getting into the London unis (LSE, UCL), though they were my dream ones because of where they're located.

I have 5 A*S, 4 As and 2Bs at GCSE (I know, not great for these unis) and just got 3 A*s in business, economics, maths in my mock exams, I think that's what I'll get (if I'm lucky!) at the end of the year.

My question is, should I apply for these unis next year? Would I have a good chance of getting in? Should I take physics A level next year to replace business, or should I just go to one of the unis I have an offer from? Thank you.

If you really want LSE/UCL, then yes you should switch out business or econ for something else. Physics sounds like a good choice as long as you enjoy it and you know what you're getting into. Really there's nothing wrong with the unis you've already applied to (I understand that Durham and Warwick are extremely reputable) but ultimately it's up to you; I really think the two London unis will not accept you if you have both business and economics as part of 3 A levels.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by _Jonneh_
If you really want LSE/UCL, then yes you should switch out business or econ for something else. Physics sounds like a good choice as long as you enjoy it and you know what you're getting into. Really there's nothing wrong with the unis you've already applied to (I understand that Durham and Warwick are extremely reputable) but ultimately it's up to you; I really think the two London unis will not accept you if you have both business and economics as part of 3 A levels.

That's what I was thinking. But, say I took a gap year and took physics. Achieved an A* and applied with Maths, economics, physics A*. I still don't think they'd 100% accept me because taking a year out to study an A level suggests maybe a lack of direction?
That's what I was thinking. But, say I took a gap year and took physics. Achieved an A* and applied with Maths, economics, physics A*. I still don't think they'd 100% accept me because taking a year out to study an A level suggests maybe a lack of direction?

If you really nail your application you'll have a good chance I reckon. It's either you take a gap year to do another subject to be more competitive for the top unis or you save that year and go to one you already have an offer for, it's your decision and good luck with it either way
Reply 4
Hello,

I would recommend that you refer to the guidance regarding subject combinations here. Our preference is for candidates offering a broad mix of traditional subjects. Students offering a narrow range of subjects, such as Economics, Business Studies and one other, may be at a disadvantage compared to those offering a broader combination.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending