The Student Room Group

Rejected from Kings Law, do I have a chance at LSE and UCL

I just got rejected from KCL Law yesterday for my LNAT, I’ve also applied to LSE and UCL but haven’t heard back. Currently hold offers from Queen Mary and SOAS. Not really sure how I feel about my LNAT MCQ but i’m feeling pretty confident about the essay.

For SOAS I received a reduced offer and when I checked the website it says they do this for people who complete the LNAT and do promisingly well. After looking at some stats I found that the minimum score that SOAS accepts is 25. I’m not sure if this is true or not so I’m really not sure how I did in my LNAT and if I have a chance at the others.

Really considering a gap year at this point as my mind is set on going to either UCL, KCL or LSE. Do I have a chance at LSE and UCL, I also saw as part of a thread that someone got rejected from KCL but then proceeded to receive offers from UCL and LSE.

UPDATE: I received a 27 in my LNAT which explains the reduced offer. Kings have been pretty strict this year with their LNAT as usually the average is 26. I will update this thread once I hear back from LSE and UCL but hoping I still have a chance as I wasn’t rejected during the time UCL were giving lots of LNAT rejections.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lunaisokay
I just got rejected from KCL Law yesterday for my LNAT, I’ve also applied to LSE and UCL but haven’t heard back. Currently hold offers from Queen Mary and SOAS. Not really sure how I feel about my LNAT MCQ but i’m feeling pretty confident about the essay.

For SOAS I received a reduced offer and when I checked the website it says they do this for people who complete the LNAT and do promisingly well. After looking at some stats I found that the minimum score that SOAS accepts is 25. I’m not sure if this is true or not so I’m really not sure how I did in my LNAT and if I have a chance at the others.

Really considering a gap year at this point as my mind is set on going to either UCL, KCL or LSE. Do I have a chance at LSE and UCL, I also saw as part of a thread that someone got rejected from KCL but then proceeded to receive offers from UCL and LSE.

No one can say for sure. Like you said, someone was rejected from KCL but accepted to LSE and UCL, so it is a definite possibility.

Statistically speaking, though, it is unlikely. On average, LSE and UCL accept applicants with higher MCQ scores than KCL and are slightly more competitive, so if it was your LNAT that let you down for KCL, it is more than likely it will for UCL and KCL too, unfortunately.

I also think it is unlikely SOAS require a score of 25 or higher, when more competitive and “prestigious” law schools than SOAS like Durham or Bristol accept applicants with lower scores than that while receiving many more applicants than SOAS.

EDIT: apparently, according to a FOI request, SOAS has a cut off of 24 (or it did in 2019), which is shocking considering the school is not so highly regarded for law. Perhaps this is indicative of a score of/above that point. But the original point still stands.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by fec1864
No one can say for sure. Like you said, someone was rejected from KCL but accepted to LSE and UCL, so it is a definite possibility.

Statistically speaking, though, it is unlikely. On average, LSE and UCL accept applicants with higher MCQ scores than KCL and are slightly more competitive, so if it was your LNAT that let you down for KCL, it is more than likely it will for UCL and KCL too, unfortunately.

I also think it is unlikely SOAS require a score of 25 or higher, when more competitive and “prestigious” law schools than SOAS like Durham or Bristol accept applicants with lower scores than that while receiving many more applicants than SOAS.

EDIT: apparently, according to a FOI request, SOAS has a cut off of 24 (or it did in 2019), which is shocking considering the school is not so highly regarded for law. Perhaps this is indicative of a score of/above that point. But the original point still stands.

Thank you for your reply, I’m very gutted to say the least. Do you think it would be sensible to go queen mary or take the gap year and reapply to a different course at UCL etc. Also I would say that SOAS is highly regarded for law, especially due to its different way of teaching, I was also shocked to find out that their LNAT score was so high. Hope I do receive the offers but not relying on it, I’ve mentally prepared myself.
Thank you for your reply, I’m very gutted to say the least. Do you think it would be sensible to go queen mary or take the gap year and reapply to a different course at UCL etc. Also I would say that SOAS is highly regarded for law, especially due to its different way of teaching, I was also shocked to find out that their LNAT score was so high. Hope I do receive the offers but not relying on it, I’ve mentally prepared myself.

I think only you can answer that question, but QM is a good uni and you would still be able to get a City job if that is what you want.

Maybe it depends on what you think is highly regarded. It doesn’t do well with employment outcomes at the top firms, and is currently ranked 43rd in the country. QM is a lot stronger than SOAS.

It appears as though you want to stay in London, but if your LNAT score is 24 or above, you would have had a really strong chance at, say, Bristol or Durham, both of which are better than QM and SOAS.
(edited 1 year ago)
Of course you have a chance. There is literally nothing you can now but wait on the outcome.

I’m not sure I’d advise a gap year after getting into Queen Mary. You don’t need to consider a gap year tho until you receive all your replies. I think you’d have to be unlucky to get rejected from all 3 unis.
Original post by LawStudent456
Of course you have a chance. There is literally nothing you can now but wait on the outcome.

I’m not sure I’d advise a gap year after getting into Queen Mary. You don’t need to consider a gap year tho until you receive all your replies. I think you’d have to be unlucky to get rejected from all 3 unis.

Let’s be a bit realistic here. KCL is the least competitive of the 3, with the lowest average LNAT score, and you think she would be unlucky to get rejected from the other two, when they are more competitive and admit people with higher scores? Don’t want anyone to get their hopes up.
Reply 6
I was rejected from King’s for Law but accepted to UCL so it’s definitely possible but that was mostly due to my other qualifications, not my LNAT.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Arno11
I was rejected from King’s for Law but accepted to UCL so it’s definitely possible but that was mostly due to my other qualifications. I can’t speculate on your odds though.

What was the reason you were rejected from Kings?
Reply 8
What was the reason you were rejected from Kings?

No A-levels. UCL were a lot more holistic about my unconventional qualifications. I was not expecting them to accept me. Obviously, we have different situations but each uni’s admission’s process will be different despite having identical entry requirements on paper.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Arno11
No A-levels. UCL were a lot more holistic about my unconventional qualifications.

Was your LNAT score strong? :smile:
Original post by fec1864
I think only you can answer that question, but QM is a good uni and you would still be able to get a City job if that is what you want.

Maybe it depends on what you think is highly regarded. It doesn’t do well with employment outcomes at the top firms, and is currently ranked 43rd in the country. QM is a lot stronger than SOAS.

It appears as though you want to stay in London, but if your LNAT score is 24 or above, you would have had a really strong chance at, say, Bristol or Durham, both of which are better than QM and SOAS.

Why is it always Londoners who don’t want to move away from home? Even sacrificing applying for the best unis for crap ones. Maybe it really is true that southerners are soft as shite?

OP options are reasonable tho tbf.
Why is it always Londoners who don’t want to move away from home? Even sacrificing applying for the best unis for crap ones. Maybe it really is true that southerners are soft as shite?

I’m not a Londoner.
Original post by fec1864
Let’s be a bit realistic here. KCL is the least competitive of the 3, with the lowest average LNAT score, and you think she would be unlucky to get rejected from the other two, when they are more competitive and admit people with higher scores? Don’t want anyone to get their hopes up.

Yes they are the least competitive but all universities are different and look for different things.

This really is a very narrow way of looking at something lmao. All 3 are competitive unis to get into.

Yeah, I don’t get it! You can always go back to London for employment anyway, which is where all the best jobs are…

The only three STRONG law schools in London are LSE, KCL and UCL, with all three of them being ridiculously difficult to get into and usually if you’re rejected from one you will be from all three because they are very similar with admissions (lean heavily on LNAT). You’re better off apply for one or two of them MAX and add some of the other very strong schools like Durham and/or Bristol which can be more forgiving with the LNAT. Got all your bases covered then, and a smaller chance of having to go to a “less respected” school.
Yes they are the least competitive but all universities are different and look for different things.

This really is a very narrow way of looking at something lmao. All 3 are competitive unis to get into.

They all rely heavily on the LNAT. Logic dictates if one is rejected from KCL for your LNAT, then you will also for the other 2 which have an average successful LNAT score which is not far off Oxford’s and higher than KCL’s. No? :biggrin:

I’m not saying it’s impossible. Just very unlikely.
(edited 1 year ago)
You never know as they say no news is good news so all you can do is wait no point weighing up your chances it won't affect the outcome of the uni decision.
Original post by fec1864
Yeah, I don’t get it! You can always go back to London for employment anyway, which is where all the best jobs are…

The only three STRONG law schools in London are LSE, KCL and UCL, with all three of them being ridiculously difficult to get into and usually if you’re rejected from one you will be from all three because they are very similar with admissions (lean heavily on LNAT). You’re better off apply for one or two of them MAX and add some of the other very strong schools like Durham and/or Bristol which can be more forgiving with the LNAT. Got all your bases covered then, and a smaller chance of having to go to a “less respected” school.

I understand where your coming from, I applied to all schools in London as I love the city and want the chance to study there, and I know the only way and chance Id get to live in London is through University. Hence I am so set on the idea I will reapply next year to a different course at these prestigious universities, i’m not just going to study somewhere which my heart is not set on.
Original post by fec1864

Bro what sort of logic is this lmao. There will be hundreds of people on the website who hold an offer for one of KCL:u:CL/LSE and not the other. Durham is just as competitive to get into as well.

Man’s calling Durham less respected for law 💀🤡
I understand where your coming from, I applied to all schools in London as I love the city and want the chance to study there, and I know the only way and chance Id get to live in London is through University. Hence I am so set on the idea I will reapply next year to a different course at these prestigious universities, i’m not just going to study somewhere which my heart is not set on.

How come it’s your only chance? Are you an international? :smile:
Original post by fec1864
They all rely heavily on the LNAT. Logic dictates if one is rejected from KCL for your LNAT, then you will also for the other 2 which have an average successful LNAT score which is not far off Oxford’s and higher than KCL’s. No? :biggrin:

I’m not saying it’s impossible. Just very unlikely.

£20 says OP receives an offer from LSE or UCL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending