The Student Room Group

Economics Extracurriculars

Hi! I'm currently preparing for my AS as an international student and I am studying Economics, Physics, Business and Maths. I plan on studying Economics as my main subject in uni so what extracurriculars should I be doing to get into top unis like LSE, UCL, etc? I know they prefer extracurriculars that are related to the subject you're going to study so what would that be for me?
Original post by ruqqqqq
Hi! I'm currently preparing for my AS as an international student and I am studying Economics, Physics, Business and Maths. I plan on studying Economics as my main subject in uni so what extracurriculars should I be doing to get into top unis like LSE, UCL, etc? I know they prefer extracurriculars that are related to the subject you're going to study so what would that be for me?

Unfortunately both LSE and UCL being top unis for Econ, they largely require an applicant to take Further Maths at A Level. It's normally a very low chance of an offer for someone who hasn't taken FM, that is if their college offered it.
Also, both LSE and UCL, particularly LSE strongly look at subject combination, preferring traditional subjects. I know LSE doesn't like Business being taken as an A Level at all, and as it's too closely linked to Economics, while also not being a traditional subject. It shouldn't be too detrimental since Business is your 4th subject, but ideally the 4th should've been Further Maths for such hypercompetitive unis like these.

As for the extracurriculars (actually termed 'Supercurriculars'), these are normally just:
Books, Lectures, MOOC's, Essay Competitions, Podcasts etc. Basically anything that you do outside of your school environment and A Level syllabus that directly relates to the course of Economics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending