The Student Room Group

GCSE

I’m in year 9 and want have to pick my options by Friday I am considering Triple Science, Geography, Computer science and Media studies or Buissness. I don’t really understand the point of picking buissnes can someone give me some info please like why is it useful?
Original post by Sargodah123
I’m in year 9 and want have to pick my options by Friday I am considering Triple Science, Geography, Computer science and Media studies or Buissness. I don’t really understand the point of picking buissnes can someone give me some info please like why is it useful?

Hi!

I think it would depend on what you want to do in the future. It's very early of course, but do you have any careers in mind that you can see yourself doing? Look into college courses and university courses for that type of career - do they specify that they would like to see specific subjects?

Both Media Studies and Business GCSEs have their uses - they can both build your critical thinking skills, for example. It might be beneficial to hunt down the subject specifications for each one and see if any modules/units stand out as particularly interesting in each one, then you can see what might suit you more. What draws you towards choosing either of them in the first place?

This point is off the record, but your choices are unlikely to have a massive impact on your future, so don't stress yourself out about choosing the 'right' thing. I chose a lot of art-related subjects and am now studying Midwifery, so I know from experience that plans change and it doesn't ruin your life to have a couple of unrelated GCSEs!

Just think about what you would prefer to spend the next two years studying. Business studies would teach you skills such as managing money and employees, how business survive and thrive in our current society, as well as why they fail. Media studies teaches you about industries such as film and TV, video games and radio... You'd learn how advertising changes how we think, and the role that the media plays in the world. Both would be interesting, but you know yourself which is more interesting to you!
Reply 2
Original post by WhoopsItsHannah
Hi!

I think it would depend on what you want to do in the future. It's very early of course, but do you have any careers in mind that you can see yourself doing? Look into college courses and university courses for that type of career - do they specify that they would like to see specific subjects?

Both Media Studies and Business GCSEs have their uses - they can both build your critical thinking skills, for example. It might be beneficial to hunt down the subject specifications for each one and see if any modules/units stand out as particularly interesting in each one, then you can see what might suit you more. What draws you towards choosing either of them in the first place?

This point is off the record, but your choices are unlikely to have a massive impact on your future, so don't stress yourself out about choosing the 'right' thing. I chose a lot of art-related subjects and am now studying Midwifery, so I know from experience that plans change and it doesn't ruin your life to have a couple of unrelated GCSEs!

Just think about what you would prefer to spend the next two years studying. Business studies would teach you skills such as managing money and employees, how business survive and thrive in our current society, as well as why they fail. Media studies teaches you about industries such as film and TV, video games and radio... You'd learn how advertising changes how we think, and the role that the media plays in the world. Both would be interesting, but you know yourself which is more interesting to you!

Thank you very useful gave me a good idea of the subjects and what might I pick btw I want to go into dentistry:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest