The Student Room Group

Chirality

75E00D00-CE04-4E72-9645-1CE4271400A6.jpg.jpeg
Would this be a chiral centre?
A carbon attached to a different length of carbon/different primary, secondary or tertiary carbon etc?
Reply 1
a chiral centre is just a carbon that's attached to 4 different functional groups and is able to produce optical isomers (non-superimposable mirror images), from what I know that should be a chiral centre but I've never seen a question with just hydrocarbons. Did you come up with that yourself?
Reply 2
Original post by Butene
a chiral centre is just a carbon that's attached to 4 different functional groups and is able to produce optical isomers (non-superimposable mirror images), from what I know that should be a chiral centre but I've never seen a question with just hydrocarbons. Did you come up with that yourself?

Yeah we’re going over chiral centres and stuff but they said like you said it has to be attached to different functional groups but I just wasn’t sure if different carbons would count as a different functional group
Reply 3
Original post by Yazomi
Yeah we’re going over chiral centres and stuff but they said like you said it has to be attached to different functional groups but I just wasn’t sure if different carbons would count as a different functional group

I went over it recently as well and I'm pretty sure the answer's yes since they're all different functional groups (hydrogen, methyl, propyl and hexyl) but they'd never ask you a question that's just purely a hydrocarbon so I wouldn't worry about it, from all the examples I've seen they always use different elements or compounds for the functional groups.
Reply 4
Original post by Yazomi

Yes, this would be a chiral centre. Whatever the four groups attached to the carbon are, if they are all different then the two isomers are non-superimposable mirror images of each other.
Reply 5
If in doubt, build with a molecular modelling kit! :smile:
Reply 6
Ahhhh that makes sense thanks!
Reply 7
Oh wait just one more question
8D9516A8-DDF6-4ABF-8EB6-8FE30EE3BA34.jpg.jpeg
Would this be chiral too?
Reply 8
Original post by Yazomi
Oh wait just one more question
8D9516A8-DDF6-4ABF-8EB6-8FE30EE3BA34.jpg.jpeg
Would this be chiral too?

Yes it would be chiral (you are missing 2 H's off the carbon on the left but I know what you mean)
Reply 9
Original post by BDavies1
Yes it would be chiral (you are missing 2 H's off the carbon on the left but I know what you mean)

ahaaa got ya thankssssss

Quick Reply

Latest