The Student Room Group

Keep Your Ion The Prize | Shyleen’s First Year University GYG | 2022 - 2023

70A0EB31-6484-43E3-9EF3-A9142EBC338C.jpeg

Hello and welcome! My name is Shyleen and I am about to enter my first year (again!) studying BSc Chemistry at Cardiff University.

Why am I entering my first year again? Over the past year, I have experienced three close bereavements (the third bereavement occurring in the middle of my first year) which resulted in my mental and physical health quickly deteriorating. This meant I was unable to complete all of my first year modules. It was suggested that I repeat the year (as a first attempt) so I have the best chance of getting the grades I need.

Last year, I managed to complete two compulsory modules: Introduction to University Chemistry and the Foundation Practical. I achieved 88% and 80% respectively. I also managed to complete two optional modules: Forensic Chemistry and Spanish. I achieved 52% and 70% respectively. This year, I have four more modules to complete: Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry and Mathematical Method for Chemists. I will be completing these modules as an internal student which means I will be attending lectures, tutorials and workshops.

My goals for this academic year is to look after my mental health, drink more water, start reading books and, of course, enjoy my first year. I also aim to update this blog every Sunday.

Thank you for being here and supporting me on my journey. 🤍

Tags (please let me know if you would like to be added or removed)

(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 5hyl33n

70A0EB31-6484-43E3-9EF3-A9142EBC338C.jpeg

Hello and welcome! My name is Shyleen and I am about to enter my first year (again!) studying BSc Chemistry at Cardiff University.

Why am I entering my first year again? Over the past year, I have experienced three close bereavements (the third bereavement occurring in the middle of my first year) which resulted in my mental and physical health quickly deteriorating. This meant I was unable to complete all of my first year modules. It was suggested that I repeat the year (as a first attempt) so I have the best chance of getting the grades I need.

Last year, I managed to complete two compulsory modules: Introduction to University Chemistry and the Foundation Practical. I achieved 88% and 80% respectively. I also managed to complete two optional modules: Forensic Chemistry and Spanish. I achieved 52% and 70% respectively. This year, I have four more modules to complete: Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry and Mathematical Method for Chemists. I will be completing these modules as an internal student which means I will be attending lectures, tutorials and workshops.

My goals for this year is to look after my mental health, drink more water, start reading books and enjoy my first year. I also aim to update this blog every Sunday.

Thank you for being here and supporting me on my journey. 🤍

good luck shyleen:smile:
Will be following and cheering you on :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Wise Goldie
good luck shyleen:smile:

Thank you, Goldie. 🙂
Original post by Muttley79
Will be following and cheering you on :smile:

Thank you for your support, Muttley. 🙂
Good luck! :jumphug: you've got this :gthumb:
(edited 1 year ago)
Proud of you :penguinhug: Posting to subscribe :h:
best of luck shyleen! :hugs: :rave:
Original post by Chronoscope
Good luck! :jumphug: you've got this :gthumb:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Proud of you :penguinhug: Posting to subscribe :h:

Original post by flaurie
best of luck shyleen! :hugs: :rave:

Thanks! :grouphugs:
best of luck shyleen!!
Original post by absolutelysprout
best of luck shyleen!!

Thank you! :jumphug:

I hope you are well.
Sunday, 16th October 2022
Update 1

Hello everyone!

Things are going pretty well on my end so far. I moved into my university accommodation yesterday and spent most of the weekend organising my room and meeting my new flat mates. They are all wonderful people and I’m looking forward to spending the year with them. :yy:

The accommodation room itself is great. I just need to call maintenance tomorrow as my bedroom window isn’t opening. Seems to be a recurring problem with me, as this happened in the accommodation I was in last year as well! :lol:
Apart from that, I’m very happy with the place. :woo:

Tomorrow my lectures begin. I will definitely leave slightly earlier, as I can’t remember where a few of the lecture theatre’s are. Hopefully, I find them easily. It also seems the rules developed due to Coronavirus have relaxed as when I looked at my timetable, they have kept one lecture theatre free for students who might want a quiet space to revise. I will definitely make use of that, especially when I have a gap between lectures. :work:

I hope you all have a wonderful week. Speak soon. :grouphugs:

(edited 1 year ago)
Good to hear you are settling in :smile:

Hope the window gets fixed soon ...
Original post by 5hyl33n
Sunday, 16th October 2022
Update 1

Hello everyone!

Things are going pretty well on my end so far. I moved into my university accommodation yesterday and spent most of the weekend organising my room and meeting my new flat mates. They are all wonderful people and I’m looking forward to spending the year with them. :yy:

The accommodation room itself is great. I just need to call maintenance tomorrow as my bedroom window isn’t opening. Seems to be a recurring problem with me, as this happened in the accommodation I was in last year as well! :lol:
Apart from that, I’m very happy with the place. :woo:

Tomorrow my lectures begin. I will definitely leave slightly earlier, as I can’t remember where a few of the lecture theatre’s are. Hopefully, I find them easily. It also seems the rules developed due to Coronavirus have relaxed as when I looked at my timetable, they have kept one lecture theatre free for students who might want a quiet space to revise. I will definitely make use of that, especially when I have a gap between lectures. :work:

I hope you all have a wonderful week. Speak soon. :grouphugs:

glad uni is going well for you:five:
Yay for lovely people and nice room, though I hope that window issue can be sorted out pronto!

Glad there is a quiet space for you to work in when needed :hugs:
To-Do List
Monday 17th October 2022 - Sunday 23rd October 2022

Foundations of Inorganic Chemistry
Lecture 1: Make Detailed Notes
Lecture 1: Attempt Quiz
Lecture 2: Make Detailed Notes
Lecture 2: Attempt Quiz

Foundations of Organic Chemistry

Foundations of Physical Chemistry

Mathematical Methods for Chemists
Algebra: Make Flashcards
Algebra: Attempt Practice Worksheets
Functions: Make Flashcards
Functions: Attempt Practice Worksheets
IMPORTANT - SUBMIT WORKSHEET
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
To-Do List
Monday 17th October 2022 - Sunday 23rd October 2022

Foundations of Inorganic Chemistry

Foundations of Organic Chemistry

Foundations of Physical Chemistry

Mathematical Methods for Chemists
Algebra: Make Flashcards
Algebra: Attempt Practice Worksheets
Functions: Make Flashcards
Functions: Attempt Practice Worksheets
IMPORTANT - SUBMIT WORKSHEET

clever shyleen:biggrin:

i dont know most of what that even is
Important question: will the flashcards be in pretty-coloured fonts? :colone:

:colondollar:
Original post by Wise Goldie
clever shyleen:biggrin:

i dont know most of what that even is

You are clever too, Goldie. 🙂
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Important question: will the flashcards be in pretty-coloured fonts? :colone:

:colondollar:

Of course! I will send a picture of my flashcards once I’ve finished making them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending