The Student Room Group

Pistas and Aloe Striata’s Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pistas
yeah I indeed lost 4 marks there. The rest were mostly all silly mistakes. :'(
that's what I get for not following the book I guess. If I am being honest, I didn't have enough time to cover all of P3, P4 and S2. I only had november and december to cover all three units. I did a lot of past papers but I unfortunately didn't come across a question quite like that. It was just a weird integral. I only got 3/5 in part a and 0/2 in part b.

yeah, i can imagine how that question mustve looked if you had never come across those types before. there are some questions that are like a sort of staple for subjects, and you see them once every 3 or 4 years in past papers. and i was lucky because my teacher had told me about some of them and how to tackle them. (i dont now about the new spec though.)
in my opinion, the best way of solving long integrals that take a lot of space and are easy to mess up in, is using the tabular method. It is a very formulaic approach to these types of questions, and always works.
use this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scl_r00DPwA
inshallah you will find it useful. I did!!
Original post by Pistas
Awh thank you. This helps a lot because I've been feeling sort of disappointed in myself after realizing I missed 180 in P3 and P4 combined by only 4 UMS. The examiners messed up your marking but despite that, you did absolutely amazing in all your units too, I'm super proud of you. You're the best, bless your heart <33

<3 I was feeling kind of low but I realized how blessed I was when I asked around for my friends' grades. Edexcel has definitely messed up the marking. And i barely made it to the other side. I don't even know if I deserve this haha.
lol for me edexcel went quite lenient i think alhamdulillah! but i still lost two marks because i missed out on a negative sign :colonhash: out of all the things i coudve gotten wrong, it were two, small millimeter long lines, that made the biggest difference lmao
Original post by Saleh Furqan
lol for me edexcel went quite lenient i think alhamdulillah! but i still lost two marks because i missed out on a negative sign :colonhash: out of all the things i coudve gotten wrong, it were two, small millimeter long lines, that made the biggest difference lmao

Oh no, P4? They messed up my physics paper :frown: i did manage to get an A*Alhamdolillah but literally by one mark! My friends were not so lucky, unfortunately, and they are all very smart and worked extremely hard. That's what makes it sad :frown:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 24
yeah, i can imagine how that question mustve looked if you had never come across those types before. there are some questions that are like a sort of staple for subjects, and you see them once every 3 or 4 years in past papers. and i was lucky because my teacher had told me about some of them and how to tackle them. (i dont now about the new spec though.)
in my opinion, the best way of solving long integrals that take a lot of space and are easy to mess up in, is using the tabular method. It is a very formulaic approach to these types of questions, and always works.
use this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scl_r00DPwA
inshallah you will find it useful. I did!!

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help. I'll take a look at the video tomorrow after revising my P4 notes. I'm glad your teacher informed you in advance. I made a mistake while preparing for A2 maths by not being active on any kind of study thread. It's already a bit hard for me since I don't have any kind of school/tutor besides examsolutions so I should have asked for help here. I'm glad I can share and receive resources/tips now that I am active here. Thanks a lot again :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Dont be sad, if you tried your best, then anything that happens is just the will of Allah and theres nothing anyone couldve done to change that.
Whenever i get low marks i just remember about things worse than bad marks that other people have to deal with.
For a true believer, theres good in everything that happens to him/her. If something good happens, you can be grateful and learn the value of being grateful getting an oppurtunity to get more reward, and if something bad happens, it is a sincere oppurtunity to show patience and persevere which is also an opportunity to get more reward.
Reply 26
Original post by ilovephysmath
<3 I was feeling kind of low but I realized how blessed I was when I asked around for my friends' grades. Edexcel has definitely messed up the marking. And i barely made it to the other side. I don't even know if I deserve this haha.

Hey, don't you dare say that! If I'm being honest, you quite literally deserve every last bit of it. In fact, you deserve more. I'll repeat this however many times I have to in order to make you believe it. you got an a* despite examiner's messed up marking and that's all that matters. :smile:
It's so unfortunate and sad though that your friends didn't get their expected/deserved grades. Hopefully, their overall UMS will improve a remark/retake if they're going for it.
Original post by Pistas
Hey, don't you dare say that! If I'm being honest, you quite literally deserve every last bit of it. In fact, you deserve more. I'll repeat this however many times I have to in order to make you believe it. you got an a* despite examiner's messed up marking and that's all that matters. :smile:
It's so unfortunate and sad though that your friends didn't get their expected/deserved grades. Hopefully, their overall UMS will improve a remark/retake if they're going for it.

I don't think any of them are going for a remark, they see it as a bit of a gamble. They'll all be registering again for the June exam series, let's see where that goes. Though I think that's not a good move because Edexcel seems like they mean business this time around and will seriously consider the January exam results :frown:
Also, you're the sweetest, thank you so much <3
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 28
Oh no, P4? They messed up my physics paper :frown: i did manage to get an A*Alhamdolillah but literally by one mark! My friends were not so lucky, unfortunately, and they are all very smart and worked extremely hard. That's what makes it sad :frown:

you're such a supportive and caring friend. Your friends are lucky to have you in their lives :smile:

Dont be sad, if you tried your best, then anything that happens is just the will of Allah and theres nothing anyone couldve done to change that.
Whenever i get low marks i just remember about things worse than bad marks that other people have to deal with.
For a true believer, theres good in everything that happens to him/her. If something good happens, you can be grateful and learn the value of being grateful getting an oppurtunity to get more reward, and if something bad happens, it is a sincere oppurtunity to show patience and persevere which is also an opportunity to get more reward.

that's such a beautiful and true perspective on everything. he has the right to be sad for them though, one shouldn't really suppress their emotions unless they're trying to become numb. Speaking from experience here :'D
yes, off course. Sadness is a part of life, and we all feel sad at some point in our lives, sometimes even when we really shouldnt.
by the way, what other subjects are you guys taking and how much have you finished from them?
Reply 31
I don't think any of them are going for a remark, they see it as a bit of a gamble. They'll all be registering again for the June exam series, let's see where that goes. Though I think that's not a good move because Edexcel seems like they mean business this time around and will seriously consider the January exam results :frown:
Also, you're the sweetest, thank you so much <3

I don't think that's a good move either.
But there's absolutely nothing you can do for them except giving them an advice which I am sure you already have. Just focus on your mocks, they'll eventually find their path <3
Original post by Pistas
that's such a beautiful and true perspective on everything. he has the right to be sad for them though, one shouldn't really suppress their emotions unless they're trying to become numb. Speaking from experience here :'D

<3
I'm a she btw 🙈
Reply 33
by the way, what other subjects are you guys taking and how much have you finished from them?

I'm doing maths, economics and history. I've completed all of maths (568/600) but I'll repeat P4 in oct. I'll also do all 4 units of economics in oct. Then finally in Jan 2022, I'll do history. After that I'll focus on SAT/IELTS. What about you?
Reply 34
<3
I'm a she btw 🙈

Are you kidding me? I've been misgendering you all this time :')
Original post by Pistas
Are you kidding me? I've been misgendering you all this time :')

Nope, I'm a girl hahah
Its okay, I just thought I'd clarify :'D <3
Reply 36
Nope, I'm a girl hahah
Its okay, I just thought I'd clarify :'D <3

I'm so sorry haha, I've never felt like such a fool before :') <3
Original post by Pistas
I'm so sorry haha, I've never felt like such a fool before :') <3

It's perfectly okay, I didn't mind at all :'D and i don't blame you considering my profile doesn't say my gender :biggrin: <3
Reply 38
It's perfectly okay, I didn't mind at all :'D and i don't blame you considering my profile doesn't say my gender :biggrin: <3

Gosh hold on, I'm still processing that, give me a minute :')
Reply 39
@8013 you can join us too since you are also doing P4 soon :'D

Quick Reply

Latest