The Student Room Group

Research proposal method question.

For my research project I want to test Aloe Vera for anti fungal properties.
I’ve read papers that have used an agar disk diffusion method to do this. Where they put those paper disks, soaked in what they were testing, onto the inoculated medium and then measure the zone of inhibition around the disks. I’d be using 10 different concentrations of AV to make sure I would (hopefully) get a positive result.

Does anyone know if this is an actual method I could use? It’s the most easy to understand and do in a lab so I’d like to do it. But I can’t find a peer-reviewed paper saying that you ‘should’ use this method. So when it comes to justifying why I chose this, I’d be a bit stuck.

The only thing I can think for the justification is saying that it’ll generate quantitative data that I can analyse - zone of inhibition measured in mm.

The aim of this study is to see if Aloe Vera has anti fungal properties, so that test would definitely show that at least. But it also would show which concentration of AV is the most effective, which isn’t what I’m researching but could I include that in my results anyway?

So, do you think I can use this as my method?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending