The Student Room Group

I don't use heat protectant

I have curly hair and am wondering if I have damaged my hair, and whether it'll grow back strong and be how it used to be. I first straightened my hair at 12, and then didn't until the age of 14. I only straighten my hair once ever 2-3 months, or whenever I feel like it. I am now 17 and straighten my hair every 1-2 months to change up my style. It never occurred to me to use heat-protectant, until my dad mentioned it, and now I am an anxious mess. I read the side effects of not using heat protectant and am scared that my hair is just going to get weaker and fall out. I have to straighten my hair when cutting it because my curls are all different lengths.

Is too late to start using it, and if any damage has been caused, can it be repaired? Also which heat protectant should I use? I know the roots are with me, meaning that my hair grows fine and i produce plenty of keratin, but now I'm doubting myself. My mum said my hair is okay, and not too damaged and that has sent me over the edge into a panicked frenzy. She also said that hair protectants have chemicals in them and she doesn't want me using them, but I am freaking out.
it sounds like you very rarely use heat on your hair, so if you have a decent diet and minimised colour treatment your hair is probably fine. I would suggest using one in future if you can, you can get some pretty decent drugstore ones from like boots and superdrug for under £10 to minimise appearance of damage but hair is literally dead anyway, all this will do is smoothen the surface of your hair
If you're not regularly using heat on your hair (blow drying as well as styling) then this isn't something you need to be worrying about. Straightening it once in a blue moon isn't going to cause you any problems.
Reply 3
Original post by sinfonietta
If you're not regularly using heat on your hair (blow drying as well as styling) then this isn't something you need to be worrying about. Straightening it once in a blue moon isn't going to cause you any problems.

i blow dry my hair on a medium heat setting and i tend to use a diffuser to shape my curls. i wash my hair twice a week, once on Wednesday and again on Sunday. I sometimes don't blowdry my hair and tend to let it dry naturally, but if it is winter or a cold day i blowdry it because i don't want to risk catching a cold.

Quick Reply

Latest