The Student Room Group

Does your University provide a microwave for students to use?

Hi, the Uni I attend will not provide a Microwave for students to use to warm up food when they are on campus. Apparently it’s a health and safety issue, so I’m wondering if other UK University’s have the same problem. The staff have microwaves available but not the students.
Let me know.
Many thanks
(edited 3 months ago)
My uni provides microwaves in multiple common areas for students and staff.

I don't buy the health and safety line tbh.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
My uni provides microwaves in multiple common areas for students and staff.

I don't buy the health and safety line tbh.

Thank you, I’m challenging it, if other Uni’s can manage ‘the risk’ I’m sure ours can. What uni are you attending.

Cheers
Original post by Sadie RJ
Thank you, I’m challenging it, if other Uni’s can manage ‘the risk’ I’m sure ours can. What uni are you attending.

Cheers

I'm staff at a Russell Group uni. I don't disclose exactly where for privacy reasons but we're not exactly mickey mouse when it comes to health & safety so it's a bit of a bizarre spin from yours.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
I'm staff at a Russell Group uni. I don't disclose exactly where for privacy reasons but we're not exactly mickey mouse when it comes to health & safety so it's a bit of a bizarre spin from yours.

Thank you, fully understand not wanting to disclose. Unfortunately the uni I attend appears to use Health and Safety and Safeguarding as reasons to withhold quite a few things. Can I request a Freedom of Information request to get the microwave risk assessment as it’s not ‘available for students’.
Cheers
Thank you, fully understand not wanting to disclose. Unfortunately the uni I attend appears to use Health and Safety and Safeguarding as reasons to withhold quite a few things. Can I request a Freedom of Information request to get the microwave risk assessment as it’s not ‘available for students’.
Cheers

You could, I dont see any reason why that would be sensitive info that couldn't be released via FOI.

Have they actually said what the concern was? Food contamination? Fires? Pranks?
Have you spoken to the SU about this? Where I work it was the SU that campaigned to get microwaves installed in the main canteen (for everyone to use).
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Have you spoken to the SU about this? Where I work it was the SU that campaigned to get microwaves installed in the main canteen (for everyone to use).

Unfortunately we don’t have a SU on site, it’s a very small uni. We have Student Representatives meeting, which is where this issue is being raised. But we are just getting a flat no, due to health and safety. I’ve just submitted a freedom of information request asking for a copy of the risk assessment. I’m a mature student and have previously been a Health and Safety rep for the Communication Workers Union, so I know a good risk assessment when I see one 😂.
Hi, the Uni I attend will not provide a Microwave for students to use to warm up food when they are on campus. Apparently it’s a health and safety issue, so I’m wondering if other UK University’s have the same problem. The staff have microwaves available but not the students.
Let me know.
Many thanks

Hey!

I am not sure about other universities in UK, but University of Southampton has microwave facilities on campus. Staff and students can heat up food in the Hartley Library at the Highfield Campus and in WSA Cafe at the Winchester Campus.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Let me know.
Many thanks

Hey there @Sadie RJ !

I believe some universities don't offer it because it's an issue to do with food allergies. I think it's something about if you heat your food up in the same microwave that someone with a serious allergy uses after you, there's something to do with the food being able to contaminate. That's what I've heard anyway, I've never actually asked but have always been told it's to do with food allergies. Maybe none of the staff have serious allergies? I'm not sure why they can but you can't to be honest.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 10
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey there @Sadie RJ !

I believe some universities don't offer it because it's an issue to do with food allergies. I think it's something about if you heat your food up in the same microwave that someone with a serious allergy uses after you, there's something to do with the food being able to contaminate. That's what I've heard anyway, I've never actually asked but have always been told it's to do with food allergies. Maybe none of the staff have serious allergies? I'm not sure why they can but you can't to be honest.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Thank you Lucy
Reply 11
Original post by UoS PG students
Hey!

I am not sure about other universities in UK, but University of Southampton has microwave facilities on campus. Staff and students can heat up food in the Hartley Library at the Highfield Campus and in WSA Cafe at the Winchester Campus.

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Thank you Priya
Let me know.
Many thanks

Do you mean the accommodation won't provide microwaves for students, or is this a separate space within your university course department that students can use? :smile:

If its individual accommodation with flatmates it strange, all the uni's I've attended have provided one...
If you purchased one yourself, or split the cost between flatmates, would could be allowed

If you mean within the actual university on campus, my uni department has a kitchen but I think only staff and PhD students are meant to use it, although my dissertation supervisor says third years are welcome to use it but you're definitely supposed to clean up.

I reckon on health and safety grounds they can make that excuse just so they don't have loads of students making a huge mess lol
Reply 13
Original post by Chronoscope
Do you mean the accommodation won't provide microwaves for students, or is this a separate space within your university course department that students can use? :smile:

If its individual accommodation with flatmates it strange, all the uni's I've attended have provided one...
If you purchased one yourself, or split the cost between flatmates, would could be allowed

If you mean within the actual university on campus, my uni department has a kitchen but I think only staff and PhD students are meant to use it, although my dissertation supervisor says third years are welcome to use it but you're definitely supposed to clean up.

I reckon on health and safety grounds they can make that excuse just so they don't have loads of students making a huge mess lol

Hi, it’s for the students to use in campus. For heating up lunch etc. Not student accommodation.
Let me know.
Many thanks

Hi @Sadie RJ,

I know here at UCLan we have several microwaves around campus including 2 in Foster building for students and staff to heat up their food.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending