The Student Room Group

My gf thinks my dad is using me ?

She thinks my 80-year old dad is using me but not maliciously.

Let me explain as briefly as possible.

I love my dad to bits but ever since I moved to France, he's been asking me to do a lot of things for him.

For instance yesterday I had to drive to his second house (3h round trip) to switch on the electricity and heating.

Another example is while ago he wanted his car resprayed. So I had to find a suitable garage. The car was there for several months and it was up to be go visit (another 3h round trip) several times to see how its going on.

My gf says it's affecting her because it's affecting me. I think she sees that it's a big inconvenience for me and not great on the moral. I don't want her to see me as a pushover.

Is she right to think my dad's going overboard with his requests ?
Reply 1
I mean it's your dad?? I don't know about you, but if my mum asks me to do something and I'm able to do, then I do my best to help. Your dad is getting older, he needs the support. I don't understand what your girlfriends deal is to be honest.
Reply 2
Original post by Gelgirl
I mean it's your dad?? I don't know about you, but if my mum asks me to do something and I'm able to do, then I do my best to help. Your dad is getting older, he needs the support. I don't understand what your girlfriends deal is to be honest.

It's not like my dad is asking me to do stuff from time to time, it's far more than that. My dad's 80 but he's not your common 80 year-old he still works.

I accept to help him because he's my dad, but I've forgotten about myself in the process, and I think that's what's troubling my gf. She here's him asking for stuff like driving 3 hours to and from his just to turn on the electricity and heating when he could ask other people or simply do it himself. Like for his car.

I have my own life my own problems that I need to focus on.

If the roles were inversed and I had asked him to turn on the heating, he would rightly say no that it's up to me.
Your gf may believe that your father is taking your help for granted or in the habit of exploiting you by making far too many demands and being a nuisance.
Talk to her and see whether you agree with her opinions.
Reply 4
Original post by londonmyst
Your gf may believe that your father is taking your help for granted or in the habit of exploiting you by making far too many demands and being a nuisance.
Talk to her and see whether you agree with her opinions.

Honestly, I think she's right.
We had a talk about it last night and she's pretty spot on.

If the roles were in inversed and I had asked my dad to come turn our heating on or whatever, he would have said no.

Making me drive a 3 hours round trip to turn the heating on so he can be warm, when all the other times he's coming during the winter he's been fine, is ridiculous. I mean he can light one of the fireplaces until the heater starts, can't he, it's a heat source pump too.
Original post by Anonymous #1
It's not like my dad is asking me to do stuff from time to time, it's far more than that. My dad's 80 but he's not your common 80 year-old he still works.

I accept to help him because he's my dad, but I've forgotten about myself in the process, and I think that's what's troubling my gf. She here's him asking for stuff like driving 3 hours to and from his just to turn on the electricity and heating when he could ask other people or simply do it himself. Like for his car.

I have my own life my own problems that I need to focus on.

If the roles were inversed and I had asked him to turn on the heating, he would rightly say no that it's up to me.

Wow your dad works at 80 what does he do?. How does he manage that? I had the impression that he was frail and needed support. I am confused where you had to turn the heating on. Is it to keep your dad warm or something else?
Reply 6
Original post by Kutie Karen
Wow your dad works at 80 what does he do?. How does he manage that? I had the impression that he was frail and needed support. I am confused where you had to turn the heating on. Is it to keep your dad warm or something else?

He's a builder. He has several jobs on the go. He does everything from masonry to plumbing. Honestly, you would think he's in his late 60s.

I had to turn the heating on at his second home here in France. He's coming over with my sisters for a few days.
Original post by Anonymous #1
He's a builder. He has several jobs on the go. He does everything from masonry to plumbing. Honestly, you would think he's in his late 60s.

I had to turn the heating on at his second home here in France. He's coming over with my sisters for a few days.

Oh I see. So he couldn't physically do it himself which seems fair if he needs to do it for him.
Maybe suggest a remote thermostat to avoid the 3hr round trips.

If he's active enough to have a job, I don't really see why these chores should fall on you. If you were around the corner, fair enough, but it sounds a bit impractical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending