The Student Room Group

Parametric equation to cartesian Exam question

Hi people,
I've struggled with tyhsi question once I get to the last step, could someone explain how they would get teh domain for the cartesian equation and range, and maybe a method which works quite well for these types of questions, as a lot of them come up with parametrics.

Thank you!!
P.s. I don't know why my computer did this, but I think the range listed in the question has greater than/less than symbols!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
The square root and the divide by 1-x, should be red flags?
Also the domain for t limits the values of the curve as does the definition.
What interval for x do these suggest?
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
The square root and the divide by 1-x, should be red flags?
Also the domain for t limits the values of the curve as does the definition.
What interval for x do these suggest?

I just wasn't sure as the t limits gave me an x value of 3 and then the denominator gives an x value of 1 but then I don't know how to represent the domain
Reply 3
You should get a range of values from the t domain?
For info: Here is the markscheme from Edexcel Practice Paper C, 9MA0.

The final line is gibberish, IMO.

Untitled.jpg
Reply 5
Interesting model solution.
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
You should get a range of values from the t domain?

Yeah although both ends of the range of t give the same x value
Reply 7
Original post by BartGR3
Yeah although both ends of the range of t give the same x value

But what happens in the middle? It may not always be essential, but should be known in general.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
But what happens in the middle? It may not always be essential, but should be known in general.

What do you mean by what happens in the middle?
Reply 9
x(pi/4) = x(-pi/4) = 3
But x(t) is not constant. What is its actual range?
Reply 10
Original post by mqb2766
x(pi/4) = x(-pi/4) = 3
But x(t) is not constant. What is its actual range?

Oh does the middle of the sec^2x graph go to a minimum below those points? How would you find this minimum?
Reply 11
Okay now I got x=2 in the middle of that range, so would that mean that the domain would range from 2 to 3? I think the mark scheme above confused me, I wasn’t sure why they put x<1 as the domain and then x...2
Original post by BartGR3
Okay now I got x=2 in the middle of that range, so would that mean that the domain would range from 2 to 3? I think the mark scheme above confused me, I wasn’t sure why they put x<1 as the domain and then x...2

In red - that's partly why I said the last line is gibberish (in the mark scheme).

And, yes, the range of x as a function of t is 2 to 3, and that becomes the domain of the cartesian equation.

The markscheme's answer is also incorrect in that it takes the positive square root to get y, whereas y can be negative if t is < 0.

It would have been better if they'd left it as y^2=..., which would have been correct.

If you've any graphing software that can handle parametric definitions, I'd recommend plotting the curve and you'll be able to see what's going on; if you can't visualise it already. I can run one off, if not.
Original post by BartGR3

Yes, the "suitable" in the question is ambiguous as x<1 or x>=2 is valid for the final function (model solution), but doesn 't consider the range of x(t) which is [2,3]. As sec=1/cos, it should be easy to see the range as the min of sec^2+1 is 2 and the max values occur at the end points. But sketch/plot in desmos.com for learning?
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest