The Student Room Group

I need help choosing my GCSE options...

I'm in year 9 and need help choosing my GCSE options. We have pathways and I got given Pathway A so I have to take ebacc. If I decide to take triple science I won't be able to pick an additional subject as it's worth 3 gcses so it'll take up all the spaces since RE is a compulsory subject for our school. I really want to keep my subjects broad because I dont really know what I want to do.

I want to take ICT, French, and Geography.

For the sciences I wanted to take triple but if I did I wouldn't be able to take the additional subject (ICT).

So it'll be:
French, Geography and Triple with the compulsory subjects, maths, English lit/lang and RE...

But if I take it without triple it would be:
French, Geography, ICT, Combined Science, maths, English lit/lang and RE...

I really want to keep my options broad because I don't know what I want to do in the future so what should I choose for my GCSEs?
tbh I feel GCSE's are more about the grades and A-levels/BTEC are where subjects matter, so I think go for the ones you can guarantee good grades in. Since apart from STEM courses at uni, I don't think other courses really look at specific subjects apart from English language and maths. You could also take extra GCSE's privately.
Choose easiest subjects
Original post by geortx
I'm in year 9 and need help choosing my GCSE options. We have pathways and I got given Pathway A so I have to take ebacc. If I decide to take triple science I won't be able to pick an additional subject as it's worth 3 gcses so it'll take up all the spaces since RE is a compulsory subject for our school. I really want to keep my subjects broad because I dont really know what I want to do.

I want to take ICT, French, and Geography.

For the sciences I wanted to take triple but if I did I wouldn't be able to take the additional subject (ICT).

So it'll be:
French, Geography and Triple with the compulsory subjects, maths, English lit/lang and RE...

But if I take it without triple it would be:
French, Geography, ICT, Combined Science, maths, English lit/lang and RE...

I really want to keep my options broad because I don't know what I want to do in the future so what should I choose for my GCSEs?

ICT isn't a well-regarded GCSE - do triple.
As above, your GCSE subjects won't constrain you, as the only subjects "required" in any way for university study directly are English (language), maths, and science (i.e. combined/double award science).

Triple science isn't required to do science A-levels as far as the exam boards setting the syllabus are concerned, and that only assumes knowledge from combined/double award science. Some schools might structure their teaching in a way which assumes the content from the individual science GCSEs, and hence require triple science to continue to a science A-level, but this is entirely down to the school and isn't a universal matter.

So you are fairly free to choose what you wish to, based on whatever you find most interesting and/or you think you will do well in. Not taking triple science won't limit you from doing science A-levels and/or a STEM degree later on.
Quick question, maybe Mutley might know. Is the Ebacc compulsory like this? It was pushed on to both of my two and the eldest took the ebacc, but youngest didn't want the language so we pushed it back and she didnt have to take it.
So just wondering if each ruling whether its compulsory is according to the individual school?

Quick Reply

Latest