The Student Room Group

Do I need maths or physics for architecture in the future (uni)?

I’m choosing my a level options and I’m unsure with what I’m choosing. I want to do architecture in the future so I’ve let that influence my options. I’m thinking of taking fine art, economics and physics, but I’ve been told by many teachers and advisers not to take physics (probably because it’s not my strongest subject). I would rather take fine art, economics and English literature but physics is a lot more helpful (apparently to my teachers and advisers) in architecture.

What should I do?
Original post by am4ya
I’m choosing my a level options and I’m unsure with what I’m choosing. I want to do architecture in the future so I’ve let that influence my options. I’m thinking of taking fine art, economics and physics, but I’ve been told by many teachers and advisers not to take physics (probably because it’s not my strongest subject). I would rather take fine art, economics and English literature but physics is a lot more helpful (apparently to my teachers and advisers) in architecture.

What should I do?

It's a common misconception that physics (or maths) is required for architecture. Architecture is a design-based degree and the maths involved is around GCSE level. The majority of unis don't have any required subjects. Have a look at the following thread regarding 'A levels for Architecture':

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

Definitely don't take physics if it is not one of your strong subjects - it gets a lot harder at A level. Choose subjects you enjoy and do well in as you will need to achieve high grades. :smile:
Reply 2
Some Architecture courses are more engineering focussed than others - and for all courses you will still need an understanding of Physics and Engineering principles with the ability to add up. It isnt just 'design', you also need to understand how buildings are constructed and why they don't fall down.

Check that the course is accredited by RIBA - if it isn't it has no professional value.
And look at the optional units for each course carefully - it this the stuff you thought an Architecture degree would be all about? Go to some Open Days and listen to the subject presentations, and think realistically about 'Is this for me'?
No as above. Only Strathclyde and Bath require just one ir the other. No other architecture course I'm aware of requires either or prefers them.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
It's a common misconception that physics (or maths) is required for architecture. Architecture is a design-based degree and the maths involved is around GCSE level. The majority of unis don't have any required subjects. Have a look at the following thread regarding 'A levels for Architecture':

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

Definitely don't take physics if it is not one of your strong subjects - it gets a lot harder at A level. Choose subjects you enjoy and do well in as you will need to achieve high grades. :smile:

Thank you so much! I’ve been so stressed about this lately. This has helped so much!
Original post by am4ya
What should I do?
Hi,

I hope you are doing well.

It's great to see that you are thinking about your Alevel options.

UEL offers BSc Architecture and applications can be made using the following link: https://uel.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/bsc-hons-architecture-arbriba.

To study this course, we require 120 UCAS points from an equivalent Level 3 qualification listed on the UCAS tariff calculator, including:

A Levels in at least two subjects

BTEC Extended Diploma DDM

Access to HE Diploma

T Levels

International Baccalaureate 24 points including a minimum of 15 points at Higher Level

We also welcome applications from students who are taking Level 3 or higher qualifications not on the UCAS tariff calculator and will assess the suitability, on a case by case basis. All applicants are required to submit a digital portfolio.

In addition to one of the above, you should have:

GCSE English Grade 4/C or Level 2 Functional Skills in English

GCSE Mathematics Grade 4/C or Level 2 Functional Skills in Mathematics

Please note that you may wish to register for our upcoming Open Event Day with the link provided: UEL | Open Event Day

You can also speak to Student Ambassadors studying your course. They can be reached using the following website:
Chat to our students | University of East London (uel.ac.uk)

For further information, please feel free to contact Applicant Engagement via telephone on 0208 223 3333.

-Anisha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending