The Student Room Group

Career help needed.

Hello folks,I am in a very tough situation and I could use your help. I am 22 I currently hold 3 GCSE's 4 in math, 5 in both english language and literature. I want to study computer science at University but I dont have the right qualifications. I was thinking of going back to college and getting 2 more GCSE's then getting my three A levels after that. I'll be 25 when thats all done. Thats option one, option 2 is Access to higher education in IT, it'll take me a year and about £3,500. Brunel University is the one i wish to attend. Please help me make my decision.
Original post by Rashid0101
Hello folks,I am in a very tough situation and I could use your help. I am 22 I currently hold 3 GCSE's 4 in math, 5 in both english language and literature. I want to study computer science at University but I dont have the right qualifications. I was thinking of going back to college and getting 2 more GCSE's then getting my three A levels after that. I'll be 25 when thats all done. Thats option one, option 2 is Access to higher education in IT, it'll take me a year and about £3,500. Brunel University is the one i wish to attend. Please help me make my decision.

According to the entry requirements of the degree, you need:
Obtain a minimum of 120 UCAS tariff points in the Access to HE Diploma in Computing, Computer Science, Information Technology, IT or Engineering with 45 credits at Level 3.
Five GCSEs at grade C or grade 4 and above are also required, to include Maths and English Language (this is irrespective of whether you choose to do the A Levels or Access course)

Access course should be free if it's your first level 3 qualification (and the college often is wiling to forego the cost of the qualification if you go to uni straight afterwards). If in doubt, check with Student Finance.

As you're fine with Maths and English Language, you need 2 more GCSEs at grade 4 or above.
You can do 3 A Levels instead of the Access course, but I think you would get things done quicker if you opt for the Access course + 2 GCSEs.

The pickle that you have is that most adult colleges would only do Maths and English Language as their main GCSE subjects (for obvious reasons). Finding 2 more GCSEs to do is going to be a bit difficult if you choose not to do it via online courses/colleges.
What subjects will you choose to do them in?
Reply 2
Hi MindMax2000

I can study Biology and Chemistry (GCSE Adults only) at the city of Westminister College, it'll take me a year.
Hi MindMax2000

I can study Biology and Chemistry (GCSE Adults only) at the city of Westminister College, it'll take me a year.

So long you're happy with the choices, then so be it.
Reply 4
Original post by MindMax2000
So long you're happy with the choices, then so be it.

Just to confirm, you believe I should take the Access course and the 2 GCSE's in the same year rather then 2 GCSE's then 2 years doing A levels.
Just to confirm, you believe I should take the Access course and the 2 GCSE's in the same year rather then 2 GCSE's then 2 years doing A levels.

Yes, because doing the Access course is shorter and very likely to be cheaper. It will give you a gentler introduction to university education as opposed to A Levels.

Having said that, A Levels give you more options in terms of universities. However, if you're set of Brunel alone, then Access is more than adequate.
If you don't just want to look at Brunel, then you need to be a bit more specific, as not all universities accept Access courses.
Reply 6
Just bear in mind that these Access courses can be intense and require a lot of work.
Will you be able to attend college to do one or is it online?
Reply 7
I work from home atm, i have plenty of time. However, I will have to go in 3 days a week.

Original post by Cote1
Just bear in mind that these Access courses can be intense and require a lot of work.
Will you be able to attend college to do one or is it online?
Reply 8
These courses are intense so I would be careful not to spread yourself too thin

You need enough distinctions to get 120 tarrif points.
Reply 9
Original post by MindMax2000
Yes, because doing the Access course is shorter and very likely to be cheaper. It will give you a gentler introduction to university education as opposed to A Levels.

Having said that, A Levels give you more options in terms of universities. However, if you're set of Brunel alone, then Access is more than adequate.
If you don't just want to look at Brunel, then you need to be a bit more specific, as not all universities accept Access courses.

There are plenty of Universities in London that accept Access courses, University of Westminister is another one im looking at. Having more options does sound nice. :/
Reply 10
Original post by Cote1
These courses are intense so I would be careful not to spread yourself too thin

You need enough distinctions to get 120 tarrif points.

I believe that would be 23 distinctions Minimum and 22 merits for 121 UCAS Points sheshh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending