The Student Room Group

Crime rates and punishments

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have often said they would benefit from editing, but that is not calling for a ban.

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth is the fairest model developed.

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind".

Yes, the the Scandinavian model achieves (roughly) the same result as SA and the Gulf States in terms of crime. But it forgoes the right of revenge for the victim and the victims family.

"Yes, the Scandinavian model leads to a safer, fairer, more equitable society - but where is the opportunity for violent vengeance?"
And you really think that is supposed to convince rational people?
Reply 21
Original post by The RAR
As someone who supports the death penalty for terrorists, serial killers and cold blooded murderers I really wouldn't mind if they were to be executed in public. Like am I meant to feel sorry for these people? Because their executions seemed "barbaric"? They certainly didn't have any problems being barbaric when they did their heinous deeds.

You aren't meant to feel sorry for them.
However, you are meant to acknowledge the hypocrisy of "killing is so fundamentally wrong that anyone who does it should be killed".
You are also meant to acknowledge the many miscarriages of justice that would have led to the executions of innocent men and women who are now able to regain some freedom and redress.

It's really not a difficult concept.
Reply 22
Original post by QE2
"Yes, the Scandinavian model leads to a safer, fairer, more equitable society - but where is the opportunity for violent vengeance?"
And you really think that is supposed to convince rational people?

It seems to be lost on our cosplay Colonel that part of what makes advanced societies so successful is forgoing the "right" of irrational actions.
Original post by Napp
We both know thats a fallacious argument. There are plenty f unjust laws (and plain idiotic ones) that should be ignored. To blindly follow every law simply because it exists is not only impractical its moral cowardice in my book. To take an example i'll eat my hat if you havent broken a law in your time, be it drinking, using a phone etc.

My point was, again, more that whether he was 'high as a kite' or not is immaterial and shouldnt be considered as a rationale here. It being entirely someones personal business if they wish to engage in private drug use, in my book.

I would point out i have made no comment on this particular aspect, only on the people using the alleged drug taking as a reason the guy deserved what he got. That is it.

He might well be, and this is someting i noted in another thread. Or, more specifically, that he cant have a fair trial one way or the other. However, at the end of the day he did thrttle a man to death in spite of pleas to the contrary. I think the idea that it was a racial thing is tosh but his actions were quite clearly beyond what is acceptable - aptly demonstrated by having a body in the morgue.

I don't entirely agree im afraid whilst obviously I have broken a few laws in my time eg taking drugs for instance, the point is I wasn't stupid enough to get caught doing it / commit another crime whilst doing so.

And I do not think it is immaterial that he was on drugs at the time. This obviously contributed to him not responding in a rational manner. If I got hammered at the pub and Accidentally ran over someone would not A) the drinking be a factor in this and B) would I not be personally responsible for getting into that state.
Original post by QE2
Yes. Fear.
What's the crime rate like in Xinjiang Province?

Good.

That's how it should be.

Original post by QE2
Some children are well behaved because they are encouraged to be so by example and explanation.
Some children are well behaved because they are regularly beaten.
Presumably you consider the latter to be as acceptable and commendable as the former?

Depends on the child and what constitutes "beating" and why you are doing it.

But yes. I would say that things like smacking work really well with some (possibly most) children BUT do not work at all with others. Just like people, kids have different learning styles.

Original post by QE2
You aren't meant to feel sorry for them.
However, you are meant to acknowledge the hypocrisy of "killing is so fundamentally wrong that anyone who does it should be killed".
You are also meant to acknowledge the many miscarriages of justice that would have led to the executions of innocent men and women who are now able to regain some freedom and redress.

It's really not a difficult concept.

In that case then why not completely scrap the armed forces and disarm the police?

Obviously not.

The point is it's different when the state does it. Just as me stealing from you is different to the state taxing you.
Original post by Ascend
It seems to be lost on our cosplay Colonel that part of what makes advanced societies so successful is forgoing the "right" of irrational actions.

Eh ? We have more rights to do irrational actions in the west than in Authoritarian states.
Reply 26
Original post by Starship Trooper
Eh ? We have more rights to do irrational actions in the west than in Authoritarian states.

That was a specific reference to the proposed state-sanctioned "right" for revenge.

In that case then why not completely scrap the armed forces and disarm the police?

Obviously not.

The point is it's different when the state does it. Just as me stealing from you is different to the state taxing you.

I'm a bit confused. I'm certain I don't understand this point. It feels to me like a 'False dichotomy', where the only options are to allow the State to murder with impunity or utterly abolish all policing.

Can you clarify? I don't want to argue with a point you didn't make.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
I'm a bit confused. I'm certain I don't understand this point. It feels to me like a 'False dichotomy', where the only options are to allow the State to murder with impunity or utterly abolish all policing.

Can you clarify? I don't want to argue with a point you didn't make.

Uh, yeah I obviously I don't support the right of the state to kill people with impunity...

I am pointing out the fact that there is a difference between someone murdering someone and the state executing that person for murder after a fair legal trial Which QE2 claimed was hypocritical.

Just as it's different for me to steal a cut of your salary without your consent and the state doing that in the form of taxes.
Uh, yeah I obviously I don't support the right of the state to kill people with impunity...

I am pointing out the fact that there is a difference between someone murdering someone and the state executing that person for murder after a fair legal trial Which QE2 claimed was hypocritical.

Just as it's different for me to steal a cut of your salary without your consent and the state doing that in the form of taxes.

Okay. Yes. I can agree with that. Thank you for clarifying.
Having looked further at the website, this "crime index" does not actually reflect crime statistics at all. Instead it is based on a survey on what people feel about crime, which is not the same as crime itself.
Actually this guy does:

Screenshot_2021-04-23-12-05-54-92.jpg

And actually I do too. One day these liberals will be put in gulags for triggering me with their stupidity.
What people perceive crime to be and what crime actually is are not the same thing, so this index is not a reliable source on true crime levels. All this survey can really be used for is crime perception.

In any case, even if you were to use this index as an indicator of true crime then it still doesn't justify your point about public executions. Iran and Somalia also conduct public executions but have a crime index score worse than that of most / all European countries.
Reply 33

So any action taken by the state is morally and rationally justifiable simply because it is taken by the state? No other explanation required.

If killing another person is so beyond what is acceptable and justifiable, why is it accepted and justified to kill someone as a punishment for killing when there are other, better options available?

And making a contribution to the cost of running society is not comparable to theft. If the government obtained that contribution by breaking down your door and taking your valuables without any consideration to value and share, perhaps you would have a point.
Reply 34
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Okay. Yes. I can agree with that. Thank you for clarifying.

You think that it's not hypocritical for people who are opposed to killing people on moral grounds, to support killing people as a punishment for killing people? Bearing in mind that the people being killed may be innocent and that there are more effective ways of deterring other people from killing people than killing other people.
Reply 35
Well, I had already clarified that I didn't propose banning them - but thanks for your support anyway.
Original post by QE2
So any action taken by the state is morally and rationally justifiable simply because it is taken by the state? No other explanation required.

If killing another person is so beyond what is acceptable and justifiable, why is it accepted and justified to kill someone as a punishment for killing when there are other, better options available?

And making a contribution to the cost of running society is not comparable to theft. If the government obtained that contribution by breaking down your door and taking your valuables without any consideration to value and share, perhaps you would have a point.

That is one hell of a stretch my liberal friend! Of course context is important. But in principle I am not opposed to the state / police killing people in certain conditions and I'm sure you support the same unless you don't think those Isis nutters should have been shot by police etc?

Well there's a number of points here. For one I think it's subjective that better options are available. Executing heinous criminals should in theory be cheap and effective (they are not going to reoffend!)

As for why it's acceptable well it comes down to something which liberals like you are very squeamish about: and that's Authority. EG A parent can impose their will on their child to eat certain meals, go to bed and tidy their room against their will (within reasonable confines) whilst the child cannot do these things to their parents . Similarly the state can impose it's will upon its citizens (within reasonable confines) because it has a similar Authority to do so.

Why not? Do you think that Boris Johnson is better to spend your money than you are? (I'm not arguing against taxation I am just pointing out it's subjective) the state has the authority to take my money irrespective of whether I think it's right for them to do so.

Again to reiterate I am not in favour of giving the state cart blanche power to do what they want but simply that the state exists in a separate state to us. In short there is (to use another word QE2 probably hates) a hierarchy
Reply 37
That is one hell of a stretch my liberal friend! Of course context is important. But in principle I am not opposed to the state / police killing people in certain conditions and I'm sure you support the same unless you don't think those Isis nutters should have been shot by police etc?

Well there's a number of points here. For one I think it's subjective that better options are available. Executing heinous criminals should in theory be cheap and effective (they are not going to reoffend!)

As for why it's acceptable well it comes down to something which liberals like you are very squeamish about: and that's Authority. EG A parent can impose their will on their child to eat certain meals, go to bed and tidy their room against their will (within reasonable confines) whilst the child cannot do these things to their parents . Similarly the state can impose it's will upon its citizens (within reasonable confines) because it has a similar Authority to do so.

Why not? Do you think that Boris Johnson is better to spend your money than you are? (I'm not arguing against taxation I am just pointing out it's subjective) the state has the authority to take my money irrespective of whether I think it's right for them to do so.

Again to reiterate I am not in favour of giving the state cart blanche power to do what they want but simply that the state exists in a separate state to us. In short there is (to use another word QE2 probably hates) a hierarchy

The authority and hierarchy of a liberal state is both legitimised and reined in by public accountability. The state-sanctioned violence and "theft" (taxation) is all part of the social contract.

PRSOM
Original post by Ascend
The authority and hierarchy of a liberal state is both legitimised and reined in by public accountability. The state-sanctioned violence and "theft" (taxation) is all part of the social contract.

Ok... How does that deflect from anything I've said? Where have I said they shouldn't be accountable?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending