The Student Room Group

Urgent help democracies

What is the significance of a representative democracy?
Original post by faithsykes9090
What is the significance of a representative democracy?

Its the only effective way to have democracy.
Balances government accountability with actually giving time and opportunity to get on with the day-to-day itinerary of running the state.
Original post by mnot
Its the only effective way to have democracy.
Balances government accountability with actually giving time and opportunity to get on with the day-to-day itinerary of running the state.

So kinda like the manifesto then? Sorry im really **** at politics and my deadline is tonight
So kinda like the manifesto then? Sorry im really **** at politics and my deadline is tonight

No,
a manifesto is the agenda of what someone wants to do.

Representative democracy is basically the terminology used where one person votes on behalf of a group of people such as in the UK, we have MPs, every area selects 1 person who represents us and castes a vote on behalf of us for every piece of legislation.

A true "direct democracy" would be a referendum for every legislation, and thus is simply not reasonable way to manage a nation state.

Thanks for trying but im still confused, i only need the signifcance of the representative demoncracy. that video just confused me more.
Thanks for trying but im still confused, i only need the signifcance of the representative demoncracy. that video just confused me more.

To vote on things you need to spend a lot time & energy researching and educating yourselves. So running direct democracies are too complicated as the system would be slow and sluggish and get very little done.

Instead we vote for people on a broad set of principles and ideas that best represent us, and the representative people work full-time spend time researching the ideas and debating the pros & cons. This way we can balance what the majority of people want with the practicalities of progress.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by mnot
To vote on things you need to spend a lot time & energy researching and educating yourselves. So running direct democracies are too complicated as the system would be slow and sluggish and get very little done.

Instead we vote for people on a broad set of principles and ideas that best represent us, and the representative people work full-time spend time researching the ideas and debating the pros & cons. This way we can balance what the majority of people want with the practicalities of progress.

OMG i totally understand what you mean now thank you so much for this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending