The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Listen man, you really need to relax.

You have such a strange fixation with working at a top law firm, I'm not sure your even interested in it for the right reasons. Is it simply for the perceived social prestige that would come along with working at such a place? Stating you would give 10 years of your life to then waste more of it working for a faceless organisation that barely even knows you work for them is an incredibly strange thing to say, from my perspective anyway.

Further, a BBC at A level and a 2:1 would only make it hard to go for those cream of the crop firms. There are still plenty of law firms/legal jobs that count as a period of recognised training that you are more than welcomed to apply for.

You also need to understand, a lot of the people in this thread are actually doing you a massive favour right now giving you this reality check. Something you may not have realised is that client centred work, whether its being a lawyer or not, has a huge aspect of managing expectations. How are you supposed to do this with clients if you cant even manage your own expectations?
Original post by ASMUK
Listen man, you really need to relax.

You have such a strange fixation with working at a top law firm, I'm not sure your even interested in it for the right reasons. Is it simply for the perceived social prestige that would come along with working at such a place? Stating you would give 10 years of your life to then waste more of it working for a faceless organisation that barely even knows you work for them is an incredibly strange thing to say, from my perspective anyway.

Further, a BBC at A level and a 2:1 would only make it hard to go for those cream of the crop firms. There are still plenty of law firms/legal jobs that count as a period of recognised training that you are more than welcomed to apply for.

You also need to understand, a lot of the people in this thread are actually doing you a massive favour right now giving you this reality check. Something you may not have realised is that client centred work, whether its being a lawyer or not, has a huge aspect of managing expectations. How are you supposed to do this with clients if you cant even manage your own expectations?

This is all very true!
OP, there are lots of other law firms that you can strive towards. I'm sure if you are particularly eager, you can start somewhere smaller and gradually work your way up to bigger, 'better' firms?

I find it helps me out to work out different plans for the future, with getting a TC this year being plan A. It is extremely unlikely to happen, but I am still trying because that is what I want. But, because of the minimal chances, I have to have other plans. I've looked in to a range of legal work routes I can try instead.

People are just trying to prepare you for the reality of the law industry. You need to have a thick skin because I don't know anyone who has gotten in to a firm on their first try who wasn't from Oxbridge (this is from my personal experience, not a sweeping statement). You will get rejected. A LOT. It is part of applying for these jobs. These guys on TSR are just trying to prepare you.
Reply 43
After you have finished your pity party, you need to think of the answers to the following questions. Not to explain anything to strangers who make you feel like crap on an internet board, but for your own mental wellbeing.

Why am I so fixated on city law?

Why do I not want to be a lawyer if I can't be a city lawyer?

Why did I start a thread full well knowing this would be the general response? (you prefaced the op as not wanting any negative responses)

Why do I think I have bad academics when they are fine?
Original post by ASMUK
After you have finished your pity party, you need to think of the answers to the following questions. Not to explain anything to strangers who make you feel like crap on an internet board, but for your own mental wellbeing.

Why am I so fixated on city law?

Why do I not want to be a lawyer if I can't be a city lawyer?

Why did I start a thread full well knowing this would be the general response? (you prefaced the op as not wanting any negative responses)

Why do I think I have bad academics when they are fine?

you are my new favourite law forum user aha
You never know unless u try, so why not
weird selection of firms. why are you applying that combo specifically...
Reply 47
I wonder whether you would be more suited to a Government Legal Profession post.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/civil-service-government-legal-profession
okay... best of luck
Original post by Charlieleach11
I feel like law universities are gonna be lenient this year

I'm not entirely sure you are correct
I’ll be taking that advice too yep :adore:
A lot of them do contextual recruitment. I think DLA and DWF have no requirements as well https://www.thelawyer.com/a-level-grades-what-do-law-firms-ask-for/
I think that if you have non perfect academics, then its pretty hard to get a training contract at a commercial law firm, however, you can probably get a job as a paralegal/business support and then a training contract at a local solicitors firm. Just bear in mind you wont be earning the big bucks, at least to start with.

There is a way into these city firms, although it will require some persistence and proactivity on your part, and you will need to create a niche for yourself in another career, which you can sell to the law firm about how you can transfer these skills into a career in law, and how this knowledge and these skills will make you a competent trainee.

Lets use Baker & Mckenzie as an example - A decent law firm with decent clients, in the elite tier but not the best of the best. On the legal 500 webpage, the entry on the IT & Telecoms section states;

"Baker McKenzie provides ‘considered, pragmatic guidance’ on issues related to fintech, AI, cloud computing and data; the firm also has expertise in the cybersecurity and healthtech spaces."

Now, what this is saying is that they have a degree of expertise in the above areas. If you look at it in a different way, you can see that the firm therefore needs lawyers with knowledge/experience of these areas in there TMT practices. So lets say you had a career in one of these fields, perhaps as a cloud engineer or solutions architect/software developer etc, and therefore had a lot of knowledge and first hand experience with the technology dealt with, maybe even worked at one of the client firms.

If you then decide you want to get into law, then your application will stand out compared to other candidates, particularly if you articulate yourself well and have a clear idea of the type of practice you want to qualify into. There are various schemes and supportive organisations out there designed to help those who are changing career into law aswell, and by all accounts, firms like the experience gained in other careers. If you think about it, their clients will be from different backgrounds, so its good for them to recruit from different backgrounds too.

Thats just one area, i'm sure if you wanted to go into another practice area like Capital Markets and formerly worked in compliance or the front office of an investment bank then that would be a good sell aswell.

So you could probably end up at a law firm a few years after graduating and once in a different career, as by that time you will have a professional career behind you and not just your grades to rely on. Essentially, your grades will not be the most important thing on the application.

There is a big push in law to get more people in who previously wouldnt have worked in firms, like stay at home mothers, working class students etc...so where there is a will, there is a way i'm sure.

What you would have to ask yourself afterwards is, if you are in a great career and earning decent money, would you want to join a city law firm at the bottom and then do all the hours associated with that? Especially if you can earn six figure salary in tech, and have a more flexible working environment etc....

So to summarise, just think strategically and out of the box.
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm not familiar with those fields, however I am sure if you sell yourself well and demonstrate on your application why those jobs make you a good candidate (maybe talk about commerical awareness, presumably you read the business sections of broadsheets or keep up with current affairs if your interested in accounting etc?). The fact that you are not a 21 year old straight out of uni should stand you in better stead, especially if you make it to an assessment center.

you should be more comfortable in group settings and dealing with customers face to face, so any nerves on the day should be mitigated. I found when entering a different career that many of the fresh grads are very nervous, talk too fast, finish their presentations too early, stick to a rigid script, don't engage in small talk with the other candidates/recruitment staff....all of these little things count, and fundamentally you will be talking to people face to face, so you need to convince the interviewers/partners/recruitment that you can switch it up and go from focused work mode to being able to have a little laugh and joke. soft skills are underrated, and working in retail bank, you should definitely have an edge which can serve you well.
Reply 54
Just as a matter of interest, how old are you?
Good Luck! i'm not going to lie, its hard, I tried it myself a few years back and didnt make it, but tbh i didnt fully commit myself to studying and enjoyed uni to much lol. I'm happy to be starting a career in tech soon, so it worked out for me, and will for you to, whether you go down the law route or not! Just keep in mind that there are ways to get there, even if its not a straight line. All you can do is give it your best
Reply 56
With extensive experience in retail banking?
dude if you're 19 you don't have extensive experience in anything. you just have w.e. that's cool but it doesn't make you that special?
how many interships
do you have any vac schemes
Original post by neal95
I think that if you have non perfect academics, then its pretty hard to get a training contract at a commercial law firm, however, you can probably get a job as a paralegal/business support and then a training contract at a local solicitors firm. Just bear in mind you wont be earning the big bucks, at least to start with.

There is a way into these city firms, although it will require some persistence and proactivity on your part, and you will need to create a niche for yourself in another career, which you can sell to the law firm about how you can transfer these skills into a career in law, and how this knowledge and these skills will make you a competent trainee.

Lets use Baker & Mckenzie as an example - A decent law firm with decent clients, in the elite tier but not the best of the best. On the legal 500 webpage, the entry on the IT & Telecoms section states;

"Baker McKenzie provides ‘considered, pragmatic guidance’ on issues related to fintech, AI, cloud computing and data; the firm also has expertise in the cybersecurity and healthtech spaces."

Now, what this is saying is that they have a degree of expertise in the above areas. If you look at it in a different way, you can see that the firm therefore needs lawyers with knowledge/experience of these areas in there TMT practices. So lets say you had a career in one of these fields, perhaps as a cloud engineer or solutions architect/software developer etc, and therefore had a lot of knowledge and first hand experience with the technology dealt with, maybe even worked at one of the client firms.

If you then decide you want to get into law, then your application will stand out compared to other candidates, particularly if you articulate yourself well and have a clear idea of the type of practice you want to qualify into. There are various schemes and supportive organisations out there designed to help those who are changing career into law aswell, and by all accounts, firms like the experience gained in other careers. If you think about it, their clients will be from different backgrounds, so its good for them to recruit from different backgrounds too.

Thats just one area, i'm sure if you wanted to go into another practice area like Capital Markets and formerly worked in compliance or the front office of an investment bank then that would be a good sell aswell.

So you could probably end up at a law firm a few years after graduating and once in a different career, as by that time you will have a professional career behind you and not just your grades to rely on. Essentially, your grades will not be the most important thing on the application.

There is a big push in law to get more people in who previously wouldnt have worked in firms, like stay at home mothers, working class students etc...so where there is a will, there is a way i'm sure.

What you would have to ask yourself afterwards is, if you are in a great career and earning decent money, would you want to join a city law firm at the bottom and then do all the hours associated with that? Especially if you can earn six figure salary in tech, and have a more flexible working environment etc....

So to summarise, just think strategically and out of the box.

who even considers tech to be a viable alternative career to law lmao

Latest

Trending

Trending