The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have my NHS organ donor registration card sitting happily in my wallet. I am also on the Anthony Nolan Trust bone marrow donators list, though thankfully i haven't been called up ( I hear it's incredibly painful, but a life's a life.)
I want to donate blood but I have a bad reaction when I get a blood test, so I'm scared of what will happen if I lose an entire pint :colondollar:
Reply 21
Mr. Mortell
I definately think that Organ donation should be "opt out". A lot more people would be saved, and if you were that concerned you could easily opt out. A lot of people haven't opted in because they can't be bothered.

I agree
Reply 22
is it a bad reaction or just not being able to find a vein?
Mr. Mortell
I definately think that Organ donation should be "opt out". A lot more people would be saved, and if you were that concerned you could easily opt out. A lot of people haven't opted in because they can't be bothered.

Personally, I agree.
Kieran578
is it a bad reaction or just not being able to find a vein?

I take it this is directed at me? Quoting is your fwend :smile:

The vein is found fine, and I have no conscious repulsion towards the act- I can happily sit there and watch the needle enter and the blood be drawn without discomfort, I am not a squeamish person. But then without fail I go deathly pale, start feeling faint/ill and generally have to lie down for a while to stop myself passing out.
Kieran578
Would it be reasonable to decree that if you don't subscribe to the donor programme then you cannot benefit from it...........obviously not, but it's an interesting debate

Interesting.

Yeah I have a donor card, have had for years now.

I think it should be an opt-out sytem :yep:
Reply 26
Complete and absolute ********, this does not happen anywhere in the UK.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 27
I'm not a donor because I have been told that my organs are unsuitable. They may be suitable in 10 years or so, so I'll look into it again then. There's no way I'd ever donate corneas though, for personal reasons. I find the idea of my body being mauled after death a bit disturbing, but I'm sure I'd get over that!
Reply 28
Llamaaa
I find the idea of my body being mauled after death a bit disturbing, but I'm sure I'd get over that!
That's a bit deceptive!
Reply 29
Yes I am on both the organ donation and blood donor list. I wont be needing my organs when my time comes so whatever is needed by someone else can be taken.:biggrin:
Reply 30
Renal
That's a bit deceptive!

I've seen a post-organ donation body- they have a huge cross cut into the body, and then stapled up...it's really gruesome. Plus because the person is dead they make no effort to make the body presentable- it just looks so messy. That's why I used the word "mauled" and if that's how I want to describe it, then that's up to me, whether you disagree or not. Other people may think of it a different way.
Reply 31
I'm on the Organ and Blood list.

How do they take Bone Marrow? :s-smilie:
Reply 32
I've been registered since I was 16 or 17.
Reply 33
Lucy :)
I'm on the Organ and Blood list.

How do they take Bone Marrow? :s-smilie:

It's normally under general anaesthetic with a long needle into the hip.
Im going to look into registering.
Reply 35
Llamaaa
I've seen a post-organ donation body- they have a huge cross cut into the body, and then stapled up...it's really gruesome. Plus because the person is dead they make no effort to make the body presentable- it just looks so messy.
The body is treated respectfully and gently - both for medical and humane reasons, but that's just what a body is going to look like after multi-organ surgery.
I never want my organs to be donated, and I wouldnt want to take another persons. I am quite happy to donate blood, as RBC's do not contain my DNA and die within a month. I believe that my DNA is what makes me, it is me and I dont want a part of me living on after I die.

I am rather superstitious and religious when it comes to death btw.
Reply 37
I reckon i'll go on the list. It would be good to know you can help soemone after your gone. :wink:
Reply 38
Just a thought really, but can you still donate if you die suddenly ( not that I"m planning on going anywhere). Wouldnt the fact that a PM would have to take place and your organs taken out and possibly dissected, ruin the chances of any donation happening?.
Reply 39
Annie72
Just a thought really, but can you still donate if you die suddenly ( not that I"m planning on going anywhere). Wouldnt the fact that a PM would have to take place and your organs taken out and possibly dissected, ruin the chances of any donation happening?.

That's what I wanted to ask but didn't know how to phrase it right thanks! :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending