The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I want to be on the register, but my mum and dad don't want me to be - which I think is slightly hypocritical since my Grandma needs a kidney, and my Aunty's will at some point too. They reckon that if you are on the register, that doctors will not work as hard to save you, if they think that you could benefit others - which I think is bull. But I have made them promise me that they will let my organs be given if/when i die, and as soon as i turn 18 I'm registering.
Reply 41
Lucy :)
That's what I wanted to ask but didn't know how to phrase it right thanks! :yep:
Donors usually don't die suddenly, they have a traumatic accident, their brain is starved of oxygen and dies. During the resuscitation efforts they are ventilated and the heart is restarted which means that the organs are perfused. So, the cause of death is known before they, technically, die.
Reply 42
I'd never donate my organs! The idea makes me too sad :frown: I'm already freaked out about death as it is!
Reply 43
Renal
Donors usually don't die suddenly, they have a traumatic accident, their brain is starved of oxygen and dies. During the resuscitation efforts they are ventilated and the heart is restarted which means that the organs are perfused. So, the cause of death is known before they, technically, die.

Thanks Renal :smile:
Reply 44
Annie72
Thanks Renal :smile:
You're welcome :smile:
Reply 45
Renal

As a med student what do you think of a market for kidneys?
Reply 46
I had thought about it for a while, but i do not want my eyes or heart taken.

And i know you can't pick and choose what you give, and even if you could; they probably wouldn't stick to it.

So... no.

I have problems with quite a few of my organs anyway, so i doubt they'd want them :s-smilie:
Intensity
I had thought about it for a while, but i do not want my eyes or heart taken.

And i know you can't pick and choose what you give, and even if you could; they probably wouldn't stick to it.

So... no.

I have problems with quite a few of my organs anyway, so i doubt they'd want them :s-smilie:

You can choose which parts you want to donate :smile:
Reply 48
goodtogallop
You can choose which parts you want to donate :smile:

Oh you can? I didn't know that :smile:

I'm still not sure i'd trust them though.... :s-smilie:
Reply 49
Fusion
As a med student what do you think of a market for kidneys?
You mean buying organs. I think it's potentially very bad, if you look at the US market for blood, those that donated most, they were the people who shouldn't have been donating - they were poor, malnourished and sick many cheated the system to give more than they should. I don't think that we should ever have to pay people to provide human tissue, with the possible exception of clinical trials.
Reply 50
Intensity
Oh you can? I didn't know that :smile:

I'm still not sure i'd trust them though.... :s-smilie:
It's all very strictly controlled and independently observed.

There's not even any motive for a retrieval team to take more than they should.
Kieran578
Would it be reasonable to decree that if you don't subscribe to the donor programme then you cannot benefit from it...........obviously not, but it's an interesting debate
As bad as it sounds, I think it's an interesting idea. It would only work with an opt-out system though, because there may be people unaware of the organ donation system and so didn't know they could. Its hard to believe, but there are probably people that don't know about it.

EDIT: Just had a think there, people would probably just join the register when they became ill, so probably wouldn't work save for the few people who have strong beliefs against such practices

You can join the register here, takes about 30 seconds. << Heres a link to join the register for anyone whose interested.

Also you can enrol on the Give Blood register here.

And heres some information about The Anthony Nolan Trust where you can donate bone marrow.
I want to be on the donor register but my mum doesn't want me to sign up to it as she wants to bury me whole if anything was to happen to me. However, I have told her how much it would mean to me if she gave permission for my organs to be used but it's up to her.

When, I'm a lot older I will sign up, probably after my mum has passed away as I really don't want to go against her wishes. I've told her where I stand on the matter and really hope that if, god forbid, anything was to happen to me that she will remember what my beliefs were.

Just as I will respect hers in regard to the fact that she doesn't want to be artifically kept alive, to recieve any blood or organs or to give any.
Reply 53
Arrr.
Reply 54
A is for Awesome
I am also on the Anthony Nolan Trust bone marrow donators list, though thankfully i haven't been called up ( I hear it's incredibly painful, but a life's a life.)

Lucy :)
How do they take Bone Marrow?

Llamaaa
It's normally under general anaesthetic with a long needle into the hip.

75% of bone marrow donation is done similarly to taking blood, except the blood goes from your arm, into a machine where the stem cells are separated, then the rest of the blood goes back into your other arm.

Sometimes a bone marrow harvest is performed, which requires general anaesthetic and multiple withdrawals from the hip, which takes a two night stay in hospital.

Baldy's Blog is by a 26 year old reporter for a local paper who discovered that he had leukeamia, and kept the blog from soon after diagnosis, through his bone marrow transplant until his death in August. His family and friends are still updating the blog, and his memorial service is today. His wish is for all 17-18 year olds be educated about donating blood, bone marrow and organs, and met with the Education secretary and Health secretary as well as Gordon Brown, to make this happen. Below is a link to an entry in his blog where he shows and explains what actually happens in bone marrow donation.

http://baldyblog.freshblogs.co.uk/2008/05/a-plea-for-more-bone-marrow-do.html
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 55
kamie
75% of bone marrow donation is done similarly to taking blood, except the blood goes from your arm, into a machine where the stem cells are separated, then the rest of the blood goes back into your other arm.

Sometimes a bone marrow harvest is performed, which requires general anaesthetic and multiple withdrawals from the hip, which takes a two night stay in hospital.

Baldy's Blog is by a 26 year old reporter for a local paper who discovered that he had leukeamia, and kept the blog from soon after diagnosis, through his bone marrow transplant until his death in August. His family and friends are still updating the blog, and his memorial service is today. His wish is for all 17-18 year olds be educated about donating blood, bone marrow and organs, and met with the Education secretary and Health secretary as well as Gordon Brown, to make this happen. Below is a link to an entry in his blog where he shows and explains what actually happens in bone marrow donation.

http://baldyblog.freshblogs.co.uk/2008/05/a-plea-for-more-bone-marrow-do.html

Oh well, when I got called in they did the big needle and general anaesthetic thing..sorry about the inaccurate information folks!
Reply 56
Renal
You mean buying organs. I think it's potentially very bad, if you look at the US market for blood, those that donated most, they were the people who shouldn't have been donating - they were poor, malnourished and sick many cheated the system to give more than they should. I don't think that we should ever have to pay people to provide human tissue, with the possible exception of clinical trials.

Iran permits the sale of kidneys and currently has no waiting list for kidney transplants (can be 3 years waiting in the UK). Surely if it is regulated well it's a win win situation for both parties.
Reply 57
In Peru there is no law against the sale of organs, and it has meant that scarily high numbers of people have been drugged and had their kidneys cut out (one or both- if the latter they die after a couple of hours). It's bloody terrifying- you have to be extra careful in bars with your drinks, but also on the streets. It happened to a friend of mine (Peruvian, female) in a bar...thankfully she survived, but only after 4 months in hospital for an infection brought on by the use of unclean instruments.

It would be scary if one could sell organs in the UK too, unless you could only sell them from inside the body (so the doctor has to cut them out) rather than just arriving at the hospital with a kidney in a cooler.
Reply 58
Fusion
Iran permits the sale of kidneys and currently has no waiting list for kidney transplants (can be 3 years waiting in the UK). Surely if it is regulated well it's a win win situation for both parties.
It would have to be regulated exceptionally well.

Latest

Trending

Trending