The Student Room Group

Advice for someone in Year 10?

My teachers say I'm struggling in mostly chemistry, physics and biology. If don't work harder I'll be dropped to do the foundation paper on my mocks in June. They didn't actually give me any help just gave me more work on top of what I'm already struggling on. I find it extremely hard to keep up. It all feels like such a big jump from last year. My target grades are all 8's but I'll never get that at this rate. Any advice on revising?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
What do you personally feel would be best for you (do you think you'd rather do the foundation or higher)? I was just wondering if you know what you want to do after GCSE- do you want to do something with science?
Reply 2
Original post by Maya.20
What do you personally feel would be best for you (do you think you'd rather do the foundation or higher)? I was just wondering if you know what you want to do after GCSE- do you want to do something with science?

Personally, I think I'd be better off doing the higher paper. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do career wise but I know I definitely want something medicine related. I've always enjoyed science and wanted to pursue it in a-levels and as a career. But, recently I have been doubting my decisions as I clearly am not going to get the high grades for a-level.
If you do AQA Biology then these two resources will help. I use them with my students and also for my Year 10 daughter. AQA Chemistry and Physics can be downloaded for free from the website found at the top of the notes.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources/revision-notes-year-10-end-of-year-tests-biology-gcse-aqa
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources/revision-worksheets-year-10-end-of-year-tests-biology-gcse-aqa
Good Luck.
Seneca should work quite well if ur really struggling as it’s really slow and keeps it simple... it should get u up to a 6 (but not any higher bc it’s so basic)
(edited 2 years ago)
Is this combined or seperate?
Reply 6
Original post by M.Alkarkhi
Is this combined or seperate?

It's separate.
Reply 7
Original post by Z_K
Personally, I think I'd be better off doing the higher paper. I'm not exactly sure what I want to do career wise but I know I definitely want something medicine related. I've always enjoyed science and wanted to pursue it in a-levels and as a career. But, recently I have been doubting my decisions as I clearly am not going to get the high grades for a-level.

Then I think that trying to stay on the higher paper would probably be best, since unfortunately if you want to do a science at A-Level you usually need a grade 6 in that science in order to do it (however this depends on the sixth form/college you go to). Although you may not end up actually choosing a science for your A-Levels, I think it's always good to have that option open.

At my school we had a system where if you failed the higher paper on your mocks, only then were you moved down to foundation (although you could stay on higher if you really wanted to and explained that you need to be able to get higher grades for whatever reason). So I think maybe ask your teachers if you can still do the higher paper in June, just to see whether you can pass, and then maybe make a decision from there. Ultimately it should be your decision whether or not you do higher, so don't let your teachers discourage you.

Also, I was in a similar position doing my GCSE's- I didn't understand much of the science content at all (my teachers weren't very good, and honestly I didn't really bother to do much revision). However now I am doing a science at A-level, with much better teachers, and I'm doing quite well. So I think given that you enjoy science, I wouldn't give up on pursuing it entirely. I think science is definitely something you can improve at with practice and the right help. But of course see how you do, and if you really do think that you would do terribly at a science A-Level, then maybe reconsider- you don't want to be overly stressed trying to manage a subject you don't understand.

One other thing to consider if you decide science isn't for you, is that there are always other science related subjects at A-level that could be considered "easier". If you like biology for example, you could look into doing human biology, which I believe is a BTEC, and largely made up of coursework. There are also other subjects like psychology which are quite good- and can still lead into things like scientific research later on.

Quick Reply

Latest