The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Which Lancaster College would serve best for me, accommodation wise?

I'm in Year 13, and will be (hopefully) going to Lancaster University this year. I was wondering if certain Colleges would better suit someone like me, a person who is deeply interested in History, Dungeons and Dragons, Politics, Records, and books, but no so interested in things as sports or parties. If anyone has any suggestions, or can give advice, I'd love to hear it, thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Isaac Ainge
I'm in Year 13, and will be (hopefully) going to Lancaster University this year. I was wondering if certain Colleges would better suit someone like me, a person who is deeply interested in History, Dungeons and Dragons, Politics, Records, and books, but no so interested in things as sports or parties. If anyone has any suggestions, or can give advice, I'd love to hear it, thanks.

Congratulations on going to lancaster. Going on what daughter says and other students on here, The college does not have much of a stereotype as it makes out to be (fylde sporty/grizedale party/Pendle quirky). It really does depend on the flat you are in. Since you dont like parties so much, I would suggest a smaller flat. maybe a 6 or an 8? Going to a townhouse of 12 it is like a party flat. Daughter was in a grizedale townhouse and only chose it due to covid restrictions so she wanted to meet as many as she can withouth breaking the rules lol.
Maybe Furness perimeter might be good. its close to Alexandra square and they do have smaller flat numbers. Pendle standard is a flat of 5-8. Grizedale standards is a flat of 8. Bowland main standard where she stayed last summer was a flat of 10. If you are looking for superior ensuite perhaps cartmel or lonsdale? cartmel and lonsdale are a bit further away from the hustle and bustle of alex square, but still walking distance.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Hiya,

Congrats on potentially attending Lancaster Uni! When it comes to choosing a college, the two things I would consider are location and room type. There are 9 colleges spread across the whole of campus. Lonsdale and Cartmel are on South West campus, meaning that they are about 10 minutes walk from Alex Square. Alex Square is the central courtyard where the library is and most food outlets. Bowland and Furness are the most central. Also, not all colleges offer catered options so you would need to decide on whether you would require that.

There are many room types but one college may not necessarily have them all. So you would need to prioritise whether location or room is the most important for you.

There are some studios if you really want to have lots of independence. However, it may be harder to meet people and make friends. Superior ensuites usually have smaller flat sizes and offer the benefit of not having to share a bathroom, while still getting to meet people. Shared bathroom facilities are also available in the forms of townhouses (12 people) and flats (6-8 I think)

The college stereotypes perpetuated are not really true. There is a variety of people in each college and you should be placed in a flat with a mixture of different people.

Hope this helps
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hiya,

Congrats on potentially attending Lancaster Uni! When it comes to choosing a college, the two things I would consider are location and room type. There are 9 colleges spread across the whole of campus. Lonsdale and Cartmel are on South West campus, meaning that they are about 10 minutes walk from Alex Square. Alex Square is the central courtyard where the library is and most food outlets. Bowland and Furness are the most central. Also, not all colleges offer catered options so you would need to decide on whether you would require that.

There are many room types but one college may not necessarily have them all. So you would need to prioritise whether location or room is the most important for you.

There are some studios if you really want to have lots of independence. However, it may be harder to meet people and make friends. Superior ensuites usually have smaller flat sizes and offer the benefit of not having to share a bathroom, while still getting to meet people. Shared bathroom facilities are also available in the forms of townhouses (12 people) and flats (6-8 I think)

The college stereotypes perpetuated are not really true. There is a variety of people in each college and you should be placed in a flat with a mixture of different people.

Hope this helps
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thank you, I will keep this all in mind when choosing. That's been really helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by Ghostlady
Congratulations on going to lancaster. Going on what daughter says and other students on here, The college does not have much of a stereotype as it makes out to be (fylde sporty/grizedale party/Pendle quirky). It really does depend on the flat you are in. Since you dont like parties so much, I would suggest a smaller flat. maybe a 6 or an 8? Going to a townhouse of 12 it is like a party flat. Daughter was in a grizedale townhouse and only chose it due to covid restrictions so she wanted to meet as many as she can withouth breaking the rules lol.
Maybe Furness perimeter might be good. its close to Alexandra square and they do have smaller flat numbers. Pendle standard is a flat of 5-8. Grizedale standards is a flat of 8. Bowland main standard where she stayed last summer was a flat of 10. If you are looking for superior ensuite perhaps cartmel or lonsdale? cartmel and lonsdale are a bit further away from the hustle and bustle of alex square, but still walking distance.

Thanks for the advice!

Hey, im currently a first year at lancaster university so i think i can give good advice. I am in Cartmel college and its known for being quite quiet and peaceful which it is, same with lonsdale. It is about a 10-15 min walk from central campus so if you dont wanna walk too much then its not great. I am in the D&D society which mainly takes place in bowland north seminar rooms. Ultimately if you like books and want to be near the library then bowland is a good shot at being near that and not being far. But avoiding parties and sports cartmel and lonsdale could do that. If you want more info about the d&d society you could message me :smile:

Hey Issac,
I can see people have weighed in and given some advice about choosing your college, and I agree. Your first priority should be room type and price, then the location on campus.
Some people make the mistake of choosing their college as the one which is closest to their department because they assume their lectures and workshops will be close by this way. Please be aware that lectures and workshops for all majors are spread throughout campus and won't necessarily be in the department building.

As for the society meets, their location can also change every year so if you are hoping to be closer to a certain soc meet building please remember this.

Colleges are just smaller accommodation groups so it should not stress you too much. I was not placed in my top 2 colleges but in county college by the system and then later I decided to request a switch to Lonsdale College in freshers week and based on availability, I was able to change my college in the same day. But I am still friends with the people I met in County and go there for bbqs and house parties. So the college doesn't limit you from meeting people from other colleges, or use their common facilities like bars, game rooms, laundry, study area, events etc.

I hope this helps :smile:
Vyomika
LU Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending