The Student Room Group

A-levels for an international student

I am an international student and am planning to give my A-levels in The UK this upcoming academic year. Would anyone please let me know if there are any extra requirements needed to do so? I also have a few other concerns and questions -
Which A-level subjects prove to be more useful or easier to study as compared the others? Is it hard being an international student? Will I be able to join the Sixth Form without giving my GCSEs, though I have given the equivalent of the GCSEs in my country?
Original post by 27sara
I am an international student and am planning to give my A-levels in The UK this upcoming academic year. Would anyone please let me know if there are any extra requirements needed to do so? I also have a few other concerns and questions -
Which A-level subjects prove to be more useful or easier to study as compared the others? Is it hard being an international student? Will I be able to join the Sixth Form without giving my GCSEs, though I have given the equivalent of the GCSEs in my country?

You'll need to give details to the school of ur results in the country u live in. You might be required to take an iGCSE, but thats just so u can prove u speak and comprehend English. That depends on the school.

With regards to the A Level Subjects, take it based off what you want to do. And all A Levels are hard and require dedication and time and effort, no matter what. Consider possible future careers, but don't let that be your main reason for taking a subject. Main reason should be you love the subject.
It really depends on your school which you picked out to apply to. I myself just finished my A levels and have moved to England for the beginning of Y12. It is important that the school you pick is flexible regarding the shift in educational system transfer, many schools will ask you to sit GCSEs to prove that you are on the same level as the others to provide a 'fair sit'. However, as much as I understand the logic behind this enquiry there is a very big lack of trust towards your original country's educational system. Additionally asking a foreigner to sit an exam which is purely based on UK students' curriculum and syllabus is pretty unfair. You need to be aware of the fact that the transcript your previous school has provided should be efficient and a valid proof of your potential and ability no matter what language you studied it before. Yes, the school may require you to show proof of english language proficiency but if the school is immediately denying the acceptance of your transcripts I would go looking for a new sixth form. I must emphasise though that the sixth forms are not obligated to accept the foreigners transcripts so it might cause some problems. However, this should be a heads up for you that even if you decide to sit the GCSEs, in the future the school will prove to be just as inflexible and unhelpful when applying to uni as an international student.

Coming from a different country and a different educational system will result in you starting 6th form from an unadvantaged position. It will be hard and difficult as you previously have studied a different syllabus and core colloquia. You will not have the same base of understanding as the others and on top of having to study in a new language (that said if you are incoming from a non-english speaking country) it will feel like learning a new language with the specific vocabulary you'll have to get your head around. HOWEVER, it is well worth the energy and time that you'll need to put into getting the good A level grades. I myself and other foreigners who have been in a similar position to you got into sixth form without GCSEs. The initial trust from the sixth form head when starting such a new 'life' and leap of faith is essential. Please make sure you are comfortable with the school you choose as they will be the ones guiding you through these 2 years, the last 2 before uni.

I would love to help and share my experiences on this topic as you can see just on this one aspect of choosing the right sixth form resulted in a huge paragraph... Please feel free to reach out and contact me if you feel I would be of any help or anyone else here who answers as I am sure we are all happy to help as we've been there and done it and every little bit of information helps and is appreciated.
Original post by Bree_Dav
You'll need to give details to the school of ur results in the country u live in. You might be required to take an iGCSE, but thats just so u can prove u speak and comprehend English. That depends on the school.

With regards to the A Level Subjects, take it based off what you want to do. And all A Levels are hard and require dedication and time and effort, no matter what. Consider possible future careers, but don't let that be your main reason for taking a subject. Main reason should be you love the subject.

On the subject topic... I totally agree with Bree_Dav, subject choices should purely be based on what you want to dive into in the future. Do you have any idea what you want to do at uni or later as a career? If yes, pick out the relevant and linking subjects to it. (if you are an inspiring doctor pick Biology, chemistry, maths or chemistry, physics, maths...)

You'll find some less content heavy subjects and more content heavy ones. You can even find rankings on what people in general think to be the hardest subjects at A levels but all of them are difficult and have a huge workload. Consider factors such as... do you like essay based subjects? Or more quantitative ones? Do you prefer doing course work or practicals?...
Reply 4
Original post by Navy_Blue
It really depends on your school which you picked out to apply to. I myself just finished my A levels and have moved to England for the beginning of Y12. It is important that the school you pick is flexible regarding the shift in educational system transfer, many schools will ask you to sit GCSEs to prove that you are on the same level as the others to provide a 'fair sit'. However, as much as I understand the logic behind this enquiry there is a very big lack of trust towards your original country's educational system. Additionally asking a foreigner to sit an exam which is purely based on UK students' curriculum and syllabus is pretty unfair. You need to be aware of the fact that the transcript your previous school has provided should be efficient and a valid proof of your potential and ability no matter what language you studied it before. Yes, the school may require you to show proof of english language proficiency but if the school is immediately denying the acceptance of your transcripts I would go looking for a new sixth form. I must emphasise though that the sixth forms are not obligated to accept the foreigners transcripts so it might cause some problems. However, this should be a heads up for you that even if you decide to sit the GCSEs, in the future the school will prove to be just as inflexible and unhelpful when applying to uni as an international student.

Coming from a different country and a different educational system will result in you starting 6th form from an unadvantaged position. It will be hard and difficult as you previously have studied a different syllabus and core colloquia. You will not have the same base of understanding as the others and on top of having to study in a new language (that said if you are incoming from a non-english speaking country) it will feel like learning a new language with the specific vocabulary you'll have to get your head around. HOWEVER, it is well worth the energy and time that you'll need to put into getting the good A level grades. I myself and other foreigners who have been in a similar position to you got into sixth form without GCSEs. The initial trust from the sixth form head when starting such a new 'life' and leap of faith is essential. Please make sure you are comfortable with the school you choose as they will be the ones guiding you through these 2 years, the last 2 before uni.

I would love to help and share my experiences on this topic as you can see just on this one aspect of choosing the right sixth form resulted in a huge paragraph... Please feel free to reach out and contact me if you feel I would be of any help or anyone else here who answers as I am sure we are all happy to help as we've been there and done it and every little bit of information helps and is appreciated.

heyyy!
I have a doubt about this. I'm an intl student in Singapore doing in year 1 and my dad has gotten a job in England, which means we're gonna shift there in the August first week. i did the igcse exams last year and got 8a* and an a. i plan to do a levels first year in sept 2021. however, I do not have an area where we are gonna live in and the application forms r probably closed for the sixth forms. so, in this case, r they still gonna consider my application, cuz i do seem to be meeting their requirements, but obviously not of the catchment area because i don't quite know where we r gonna stay.
Reply 5
Original post by Navy_Blue

Thank you for giving me and everyone else reading this such an in-depth and clear idea about the entire process. Your help and guidance is highly appreciated. I have completed my GCSE equivalent in my country, the medium of instruction being English. Do you have any information as to which A-level subjects are based on practical knowledge and thinking whereas which subjects are essay based? Asking as I need some help to shortlist my subjects. Once again, thank you for all your help.
Original post by kausarr
heyyy!
I have a doubt about this. I'm an intl student in Singapore doing in year 1 and my dad has gotten a job in England, which means we're gonna shift there in the August first week. i did the igcse exams last year and got 8a* and an a. i plan to do a levels first year in sept 2021. however, I do not have an area where we are gonna live in and the application forms r probably closed for the sixth forms. so, in this case, r they still gonna consider my application, cuz i do seem to be meeting their requirements, but obviously not of the catchment area because i don't quite know where we r gonna stay.

you won't be able to apply until you have an address where you will be living. It is not an ideal time to be moving as schools will be closed in August (apart from results day when they will be focused on things other than applications at the wrong time. Sixth form applications happened months ago so you will probably need to research the schools in the area you are going to move to and then write to them once you are moved in - following up with a phone call on the first day the school is open in September. There will always be some who don't take uyp their places so you need to find a school with space that will accept your existing qualifications. You will need to know what subjects you would like to take as they may have space but not on the courses you want.
Independent schools (that you pay for) will be more flexible
Reply 7
Original post by 27sara
Do you have any information as to which A-level subjects are based on practical knowledge and thinking whereas which subjects are essay based? Asking as I need some help to shortlist my subjects. Once again, thank you for all your help.

A levels are academic subjects and so mostly assessed by exam, although there's very little essay writing required in Maths or Sciences. Have you any idea what sort of subjects you might be interested in?

Maths -100% exam
Sciences -100% exam
Foreign languages - 100% exam
Psychology, Sociology, Law, Economics, Business Studies - 100% exam Essay based
English Language, English Literature, History, Geography - 80% exam, 20% coursework. Essay based
Design Technology, Media Studies - 60% exam/40% coursework (I think)
Art - effectively 100% coursework

If you want to do something based on practical knowledge then there are alternatives to A levels such as Level 3 BTEC Nationals or OCR's Cambridge Nationals.

Edit: geography moved to correct spot
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by 27sara

I'm friends with an international student who started doing their A-levels with me, I would say search what uni degree you want to do here in the UK and choose the A-levels for that. I think you do a few tests to make sure you don't find the content too hard when you start but it's nothing hard I've heard. The A-level subjects that are more useful depend on what degree you want to do, most science degrees require bio/chem or maths and others I'm not sure.
Reply 9
Original post by Compost
A levels are academic subjects and so mostly assessed by exam, although there's very little essay writing required in Maths or Sciences. Have you any idea what sort of subjects you might be interested in?

Maths -100% exam
Sciences -100% exam
Foreign languages - 100% exam
Psychology, Sociology, Geography, Law, Economics, Business Studies - 100% exam Essay based
English Language, English Literature, History - 80% exam, 20% coursework. Essay based
Design Technology, Media Studies - 60% exam/40% coursework (I think)
Art - effectively 100% coursework

If you want to do something based on practical knowledge then there are alternatives to A levels such as Level 3 BTEC Nationals or OCR's Cambridge Nationals.

geo has coursework I think?
Original post by t0897
geo has coursework I think?

Quite right, I'd forgotten they'd taken it out of GCSE and put it in A level in the last lot of reforms. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest