The Student Room Group

Tips for lesson interview

Got an interview for a teaching job this week. It's for the role of an English teacher, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the lesson, the structure and planning of the lesson, and ideas for differentiation/scaffolding.It's for a mixed ability Year 7 group, only 25 minutes long and I'll be looking at sentence structure and the effect of short sentences. I've already picked the text to look at, but I'm wondering how I will get enough knowledge in, in such a short space of time, while being able to scaffold (I've looked at the data and there is a number of SEN kids in there)Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
Original post by songforclay90
Got an interview for a teaching job this week. It's for the role of an English teacher, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips for the lesson, the structure and planning of the lesson, and ideas for differentiation/scaffolding.It's for a mixed ability Year 7 group, only 25 minutes long and I'll be looking at sentence structure and the effect of short sentences. I've already picked the text to look at, but I'm wondering how I will get enough knowledge in, in such a short space of time, while being able to scaffold (I've looked at the data and there is a number of SEN kids in there)Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

My advice would be:

-Start with a really good "hook" to get the kids engaged.
-Keep your first teacher input reasonably short, and try to get the kids doing something as soon as possible.
-Do some form of AfL at the end to help you show progress.

Keep the knowledge simple- think of one thing you want to convey to the kids in your 25 minutes, and how you will know they have learnt it.

Try to provide differentiate resources for SEN e.g. sentence starters, shorter text etc, and have a stretch task ready for the strongest if possible.

You can always say in the panel interview where you would take the lesson next, but in 25 minutes, try not to make things too complicated! (bear in mind it could end up being closer to 20 minutes, too).
Original post by SarcAndSpark
My advice would be:

-Start with a really good "hook" to get the kids engaged.
-Keep your first teacher input reasonably short, and try to get the kids doing something as soon as possible.
-Do some form of AfL at the end to help you show progress.

Keep the knowledge simple- think of one thing you want to convey to the kids in your 25 minutes, and how you will know they have learnt it.

Try to provide differentiate resources for SEN e.g. sentence starters, shorter text etc, and have a stretch task ready for the strongest if possible.

You can always say in the panel interview where you would take the lesson next, but in 25 minutes, try not to make things too complicated! (bear in mind it could end up being closer to 20 minutes, too).

Thanks for the advice.

What I was thinking of doing was getting them to read a text, and then do a writing task about the effect of the shorter sentences, with stretch and challenge success criteria (point, evidence, explain for everyone, but things such as comparison with longer sentences, the effect of language features being used, etc. for higher challenge). Also getting them to annotate a WAGOLL to identify examples of the success criteria being met. Perhaps written explanations of success criteria on the PowerPoint too, i.e. - "Point - The argument you are making; Evidence - a quote to support your argument, etc."

Basically, the structure in my head may look something like this:

- Starter where they look at two paragraphs with different sentence lengths and discuss in pairs which one is more effective
- Brief discussion of the effects of varied sentence structures
- Reading of the text/extract
- Brief discussion of the effect of the short sentences in the text/extract
- WAGOLL annotation
- Written task
- If time, a plenary where I ask them to imagine they're writing about particular situations, and whether they'd use long or short sentences (whiteboards could be used for this)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by songforclay90
Thanks for the advice.

What I was thinking of doing was getting them to read a text, and then do a writing task about the effect of the shorter sentences, with stretch and challenge success criteria (point, evidence, explain for everyone, but things such as comparison with longer sentences, the effect of language features being used, etc. for higher challenge). Also getting them to annotate a WAGOLL to identify examples of the success criteria being met. Perhaps written explanations of success criteria on the PowerPoint too, i.e. - "Point - The argument you are making; Evidence - a quote to support your argument, etc."

Basically, the structure in my head may look something like this:

- Starter where they look at two paragraphs with different sentence lengths and discuss in pairs which one is more effective
- Brief discussion of the effects of varied sentence structures
- Reading of the text/extract
- Brief discussion of the effect of the short sentences in the text/extract
- WAGOLL annotation
- Written task
- If time, a plenary where I ask them to imagine they're writing about particular situations, and whether they'd use long or short sentences (whiteboards could be used for this)

I'm not an English teacher, so perhaps not best placed to advise, but that seems like a lot for 25 minutes- I find it always takes longer to explain tasks to a new class as well.

In the individual interview, if they ask you how you know each student made progress, or something similar, how would you answer?

What will you do if a weaker member of the class can't achieve the point, evidence, explain criteria?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending