The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

scraceus999
I basically got all my notes down to a page of A4 for each exam and then memorize the whole page and blurt it out....it workd surprisingly well for AS;s (when i first tried the technique) and didnt get anything lower then an A for the modules i did it for.

Thats what I sort of do, go through the books, write down what I don't know, then learn it before the exam everything I don't know, and I'm sorted :smile:.
I only really REALLY revised for science and maths. They were so hard for me and I'm still surprised that I managed to pass. I didn't do as much revision for my other exams, though. I started a couple of weeks before the actual exams. :p:
Reply 22
I revised quite a bit for english lit cos we had a **** teacher and it was our first exam, but the rest were pretty crammed together so it was the evening before. I wish I had revised more though
Reply 23
i didn't particular revise outside of school. I could never get motivated to do it and think i did about a couple of hours for each subject. Luckily i had good teachers and in school i did loads of revising. I did try to cram some revision in the mornings of my exams.
Reply 24
Nowhere near enough with a lot of morning pre-exam cramming. Ironically the most revision I did was for the subject I got a B in. (Latin) But then I had been sleeping in lessons for 2 years. I ended up with 7A*s 3As and a B.
Reply 25
4-5 hours a day from the start of study leave until the end of my exams (about 5 weeks total). I got very bored by the end
Most people will have revised less than they should, which is why TSR is flooded with threads from people who feel they did poorly at GCSE but are now determined to make up for it as AS/A2. People fall short of their ability all the time at the GCSEs if they fail to take them seriously, are still a bit immature, go to a bad school, are just plain lazy etc. Then again, anyone of decent intelligence should be able to get 5A*-C passes unless their school was literally falling apart.

Of course this doesn't apply to the great masses of people on here with A*s coming out of their ears. I for one only have two to rub together.
Reply 27
I did a few hours each day starting from Easter, mainly persevering with maths which I've never been amazing at but it paid off and I got decent grades in the end!
I didn’t do any revision at all for;
Re
Health and Social care
Ict
Preparation for working life certificate (who the **** did!) :p:

I did 1 hour on the night before the exams for
Science
Geography
Environmental Science
English Language
English Literature

I did 3 weeks revision for
History
Maths
Reply 29
all together, outside of school - I probably revised
4 hours out of school for my Business Studies exam, 5 hours for my Maths, 6 hours for my Double Award science and thats it.
got mostly B's and a few A's/C's
went to all the revision classe for science and geo and did about 2- 3 week of revision but not everyday
did questions in class for english,timed essays and revising poems. did not read the book for eng lit it was boring (the catcher in a rye)but had strong coursework so wasn't bothered
maths revised 20 minuets at a mates house then played singstar
r.e revised hard we were taught a level stuff at gcse
overall happy and shocked with the a*
Reply 31
I did a couple of past papers for each subject and scanned the official syllabus of each the morning of the exam. All other work was in lessons, and I didn't get study leave till about half way through my exams.

This worked out fine for me, but don't be afraid to actually revise if you need to.
Oh now come on, those of you saying you just glanced at the textbook outside the exam hall, or didn't do any at all, I find it extremely hard to believe. :rolleyes:
I started off gently with revision around April, and cranked it up a few weeks before the exams. And then the night before each exam I crammed.
Reply 33
Most of my revision I did the day before the exam, so it was fresh in my mind, however I had my revision notes prepared about a month before the exams...
Reply 34
BrightGirl
Oh now come on, those of you saying you just glanced at the textbook outside the exam hall, or didn't do any at all, I find it extremely hard to believe. :rolleyes:

You have to bear in mind paying attention all the while in lessons must account to hundreds of hours over the 2 GCSE years alone. Plus, anyone with an actual interest in a subject will have probably covered their course and beyond in their own time out of general reading and suchlike.

Of course, a fair few here are probably in denial over their revision times, but it is by no means impossible to get through GCSEs with minimal revision.
I started proper revision two weeks before my first exam...should of started a month before, but I still got good grades.
aKarma
You have to bear in mind paying attention all the while in lessons must account to hundreds of hours over the 2 GCSE years alone. Plus, anyone with an actual interest in a subject will have probably covered their course and beyond in their own time out of general reading and suchlike.

Of course, a fair few here are probably in denial over their revision times, but it is by no means impossible to get through GCSEs with minimal revision.

Yeah of course, minimal revision can get you fine grades, but those saying they did NONE at all? I very much doubt people who go on TSR would just leave all their revision, come home after school, go out, watch tv, and then turn up at the exam. A veeeery small fraction might, but I suspect a lot just wanna say they did no work and came out with A's.
a lot of revision.... and it payed off
pretty well full on from the start of the easter holidays (so at least 6 hours a day generally - but with days off too) and then when i went back to school a few hours each evening. My best advice is to start off early in the easter holidays and get a lot of the material covered during that time. Then when you come back to it nearer the time, you already know it relatively well and there is very little time for revision before study leave starts (so for those early exams) once you go back for the summer term.

GOOD LUCK!
Reply 38
0 hours - as a matter of fact - I did absolutely no work for GCSE's what-so-ever. I was incredibly pleased with my string of B's and C's.
Reply 39
I didn't.

Latest