The Student Room Group

Resources for further math and math a level?

Anyone have any resources as, during this summer, I'm, already a month in, I'm going to start, very soon, doing math competitions" past papers to improve my problem solving. Any books and such, that you can reccomend?

I'm starting on the IMC and SMC.
(edited 2 years ago)
For maths and Fm all you really need is the textbook or, if your really struggling on a Topic, youtube. I recommend TLmaths- probably one of the best maths channels I've came across
Reply 2
Original post by tej3141
For maths and Fm all you really need is the textbook or, if your really struggling on a Topic, youtube. I recommend TLmaths- probably one of the best maths channels I've came across

Already have that, I just need to spend this rest of the summer doing problem solving as for critical thinking I'm well, but problem solving not so well.
Original post by mgcgian047
Already have that, I just need to spend this rest of the summer doing problem solving as for critical thinking I'm well, but problem solving not so well.

Yh I'd say that things like IMC and SMC (may be a slight exaggeration) and uni entrance exams are harder than a levels. Most a level problems are just basic problem solving - they don't really require you to use your own thoughts

I'd say don't start learning the content in advance, instead spend time improving your problem-solving skills.
Reply 5
Original post by Qxi.xli
I'd say don't start learning the content in advance, instead spend time improving your problem-solving skills.

That's what I am planning to do, initially I was going to learn the content but it would just be a burden. I'm going to do IMC, SMC, BMO past papers.

Have you done the BMO papers before or the SMC in any chance? Is the problem solving particularly hard?
Reply 6
Original post by tej3141
Yh I'd say that things like IMC and SMC (may be a slight exaggeration) and uni entrance exams are harder than a levels. Most a level problems are just basic problem solving - they don't really require you to use your own thoughts

Yeah, my sister prompted me that the questions were basic and straight forward, nevertheless improving my problem solving won't hurt. And also, I haven't really like actually studied math as GCSE math was easy, so I have to sharpen my solving skills
Yeah, my sister prompted me that the questions were basic and straight forward, nevertheless improving my problem solving won't hurt. And also, I haven't really like actually studied math as GCSE math was easy, so I have to sharpen my solving skills

Have you taken part in the IMC or SMC before?
Oh yh isaac physics and iwanttostudyengineering have some challenging questions and most of them are maths questions contrary to the website name
Reply 8
Original post by tej3141
Have you taken part in the IMC or SMC before?
Oh yh isaac physics and iwanttostudyengineering have some challenging questions and most of them are maths questions contrary to the website name

Nope, my school didn't apply to any events like that for the whole of secondary that's why I'm planning to do it, moving to another school

Quick Reply

Latest