The Student Room Group

is it possible to take GCSE Sciences as a private candidate?

I want to take physics, biology and chemistry for my GCSEs but unfortunately, my school does not provide these subjects. should I take these subjects as a private candidate? which exam board should I apply to?
Does your school offer triple science, as that is the three sciences
Reply 2
What Sciences does your school offer? It's not possible to enter for Combined Sciences and separate Sciences in the same exam season.

There are issues round GCSE Sciences for private candidates and IGCSE is normally a better option but I'd need to know what you are already doing before I could offer much advice.
Taking GCSEs in Science subjects is very difficult as a private candidate due to the practicals involved.

Edexcel IGCSEs are perfectly possible though for Chemistry, Biology, and Physics as separate sciences. There are no practicals involved when taking IGCSEs, it's all just paper based exams.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
What Sciences does your school offer? It's not possible to enter for Combined Sciences and separate Sciences in the same exam season.

There are issues round GCSE Sciences for private candidates and IGCSE is normally a better option but I'd need to know what you are already doing before I could offer much advice.

my school only provide combined science, but the sixth forms I want to get in to requires their applicants to take the sciences separately
Reply 5
Original post by Nicolia
my school only provide combined science, but the sixth forms I want to get in to requires their applicants to take the sciences separately

I am very surprised a sixth form requires separate sciences, I've never seen one that did before. It's not possible to take Combined Science and GCSE separate Sciences, or IGCSE Sciences, in the same exam season as the exams are scheduled to take place at the same time.

You seem to have 2 options:

Talk to the sixth form you'd like to attend about your problem and see if they would accept good grades at Combined Science - you could even offer to self teach any of the missing content they feel is vital.

Talk toy our school about whether they'd be prepared to enter you for separate Sciences. That would also sort the problem of the practical declaration.

Reply 6
Original post by Compost
I am very surprised a sixth form requires separate sciences, I've never seen one that did before. It's not possible to take Combined Science and GCSE separate Sciences, or IGCSE Sciences, in the same exam season as the exams are scheduled to take place at the same time.

You seem to have 2 options:

Talk to the sixth form you'd like to attend about your problem and see if they would accept good grades at Combined Science - you could even offer to self teach any of the missing content they feel is vital.

Talk toy our school about whether they'd be prepared to enter you for separate Sciences. That would also sort the problem of the practical declaration.

they require applicants are expected to achieve a minimum of 7 GCSEs at Grade 6 or above, with at least a Grade 6 or preferably a Grade 7 or above in any subject they are considering studying at A Level🤯 i have no idea what I should do at the moment, I just moved to the UK a while ago
Reply 7
Original post by katie.weston
Does your school offer triple science, as that is the three sciences

no they don't.
Reply 8
Original post by Nicolia
they require applicants are expected to achieve a minimum of 7 GCSEs at Grade 6 or above, with at least a Grade 6 or preferably a Grade 7 or above in any subject they are considering studying at A Level🤯 i have no idea what I should do at the moment, I just moved to the UK a while ago

I'd check with them whether they'd consider Combined Science as satisfying the need for you to be studying the relevant Science - as I said, I don't know a school that doesn't accept Combined Science in these circumstances. You're very unlucky indeed if you're in one of the very few schools that doesn't offer separate sciences at GCSE and want to go to one of the very few schools that insists applicants for Science A levels have taken separate Sciences.

Quick Reply

Latest