The Student Room Group

Tokyo 2020 Olympics: Surfing

Attachment not found

Welcome to the Tokyo Olympics 2020! :biggrin:

~This thread is all about Surfing~

Making its debut as an Olympic sport, surfing features two medal events, one for men and one for women, with 20 athletes in each. Rather than a controlled wave pool, the sport will take place in the ocean, and includes a 16 day waiting period to ensure quality surf.

The schedule (placeholder dates, subject to change within the aforementioned 16 days) can be found here.

Use this thread to make your predictions about these sports, and discuss the events as they happen. :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
And I was sure that surfing had the debut in 2016, but as always I was wrong. @AngryJellyfish do maybe you how the performances are rated and what are the criteria?
Original post by Kallisto
And I was sure that surfing had the debut in 2016, but as always I was wrong. @AngryJellyfish do maybe you how the performances are rated and what are the criteria?

This short summary from the official Olympics site does a good job of explaining it:

Olympic surf scoring and judging explained

Surfers compete in heats. These last approx 30-minutes depending on conditions and each surfer can catch as many waves as possible.

Only a surfers top two highest-scoring waves are combined for their final overall total.

Each time a surfer rides a wave, a five person panel scores it using a scale from 0.1 to 10.0.

The wave score is calculated by discarding the highest and lowest judges scores. The surfer is given an average using the three middle scores.

In the end, the surfers two best scoring waves are added together to gain their heat total. This is out of a possible 20 points, ie, a 10 point ride is a perfect score.

The scoring system is based on five criteria that reflect the core elements of the sport.

1. Commitment and degree of difficulty

2. Innovative and progressive manoeuvres

3. Variety of manoeuvres

4. Combination of major manoeuvres

5. Speed, power, and flow
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest