The Student Room Group

Am I actually an Independent Student?

Hei!

I wanted to see if anyone could help me answer if I'm an Independent Student!

I have no contact with my bio parents, although my father sent me a text to saying 'Merry Christmas' in December 2023 so I no longer have proof of no contact for the required 12 months (he did this because my sister let slip I was going to uni and he knew the text would complicate things for me)! AND I don't know anyone with a paticularly good standing in the community - like a chancellor or teacher - who even knows about my situation so declaring 'estrangement' will not work for me.

Therefore, I am 21 and have not lived with my parents since 2020. I only got a job Aug-Sept 2021 so my P60 wouldn't quite cover 36 months. However, I actually had my last pay-check from a previous job in Jan 2021, alongside some savings, which lasted me until I got my new job (I have lived with a personal friend for over 3 years now). Bearing this in mind, would I qualify as an Independent student?

Sorry for the long q DX I would really appreciate some help!
Original post by M.Grace.B
Hei!

I have no contact with my bio parents, although my father sent me a text to saying 'Merry Christmas' in December 2023 so I no longer have proof of no contact for the required 12 months (he did this because my sister let slip I was going to uni and he knew the text would complicate things for me)! AND I don't know anyone with a paticularly good standing in the community - like a chancellor or teacher - who even knows about my situation so declaring 'estrangement' will not work for me.

Therefore, I am 21 and have not lived with my parents since 2020. I only got a job Aug-Sept 2021 so my P60 wouldn't quite cover 36 months. However, I actually had my last pay-check from a previous job in Jan 2021, alongside some savings, which lasted me until I got my new job (I have lived with a personal friend for over 3 years now). Bearing this in mind, would I qualify as an Independent student?

Hi there,

If a student has no contact with their parent(s) then they would be estranged (if under 25). The independent evidence you're referring to is for a student to apply as independent with '3 years of self support', however, you can also apply as 'estranged' if you have no contact with either of your parents. If this applies to you then please advise below and we can assist with next steps. If you can also confirm when your course begins. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hei!

Hi there,

If a student has no contact with their parent(s) then they would be estranged (if under 25). The independent evidence you're referring to is for a student to apply as independent with '3 years of self support', however, you can also apply as 'estranged' if you have no contact with either of your parents. If this applies to you then please advise below and we can assist with next steps. If you can also confirm when your course begins. Thanks, Jason

Thank you for the reply!

To be honest, both of these apply to me (Estranged Student and Independent Student); I haven't lived with either parent since 2021, as I stopped speaking to them around March 2023, and I have been self-supporting myself financially since 2021.

My question really was does it matter if I had no money coming in between January 2021-August 2021 as I had no job? I was living with friends in a 'couch surf' situation and then went on to pay cheap rent at one specific friend's place in October 2021.

My course is set to start Sept 24 - I wasn't sure when to apply for this.
Hi there,

Thank you for the reply!

To be honest, both of these apply to me (Estranged Student and Independent Student); I haven't lived with either parent since 2021, as I stopped speaking to them around March 2023, and I have been self-supporting myself financially since 2021.

My question really was does it matter if I had no money coming in between January 2021-August 2021 as I had no job? I was living with friends in a 'couch surf' situation and then went on to pay cheap rent at one specific friend's place in October 2021.

My course is set to start Sept 24 - I wasn't sure when to apply for this.
Thanks for your response. It would be the assessors who would determine if you have the 3 years to be classed as independent. The 3 years don't need to be consecutive as long as it covers 36 months prior to the very start of your course. If you are estranged and have no contact with your parents then you can alternatively apply as an estranged student and complete the estrangement form when this is released next month when you submit your application. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending