The Student Room Group

PLS HELP: Should I turn down my uni place to focus on my career?

I’ve seen a few posts about this, but generally about models who were scouted or started working during alevels (and aren’t sure whether to give modelling a chance.)

I was signed with IMG models three years ago and have been working ever since, not as much as the top 50 models etc and probably not as well paid girls on the main board, but consistently good work, Valentino, Balenciaga, Burberry etc.

I deferred my place at the University of Manchester last year so I could work and travel. I’m still REALLY keen to take this degree (English lit BA with German studies) but work is taking off more than ever.

I recently did a vogue cover and have successfully applied for a three year US O1B visa, which I want to be able to use as much as possible. With IMG I’m signed in London, Paris, Milan, New York, LA and Sydney. I also have agencies in Berlin, Stockholm, Tokyo and Madrid. There’s also an agency in Seoul which wants me to go on stay for a few months. I’m sure this will bring in good money and would be an incredible life experience as well!!! This year I spent four months working in Tokyo and two in Berlin, other than that I’ve been based in London, with some jobs in Paris, Hamburg and Barcelona as well. I’m ready to keep travelling, making money and getting everything I can out of modelling while I still can!!!

I’m not an idiot, I know these opportunities won’t be around forever and my agent doesn’t think I can balance university with my career right now, even though my older sister, who he also represents, has balanced Oxford uni alongside a successful modelling career.

Fashion is unpredictable and I’m not one of those models making enough to put down a deposit on a flat (or anything close!!!) but honestly with the way things are going I could put aside a sizeable amount again this year. I can almost certainly make good money in Tokyo again and probably Seoul even if the European market doesn’t keep going well and I flop in New York and LA.

BUT it’s really late to pull out of university now. I still REALLY want to take this degree and my whole family will be disappointed and upset if I drop out. I would also be upset if I couldn’t take this specific degree later on. I’ve spent months researching courses and I know this is the degree I want to take.

Any advice from someone working as a model would be really appreciated!!! Also any opinions on whether I could get back into this specific course.
Original post by Dharmabums2000
I’ve seen a few posts about this, but generally about models who were scouted or started working during alevels (and aren’t sure whether to give modelling a chance.)

I was signed with IMG models three years ago and have been working ever since, not as much as the top 50 models etc and probably not as well paid girls on the main board, but consistently good work, Valentino, Balenciaga, Burberry etc.

I deferred my place at the University of Manchester last year so I could work and travel. I’m still REALLY keen to take this degree (English lit BA with German studies) but work is taking off more than ever.

I recently did a vogue cover and have successfully applied for a three year US O1B visa, which I want to be able to use as much as possible. With IMG I’m signed in London, Paris, Milan, New York, LA and Sydney. I also have agencies in Berlin, Stockholm, Tokyo and Madrid. There’s also an agency in Seoul which wants me to go on stay for a few months. I’m sure this will bring in good money and would be an incredible life experience as well!!! This year I spent four months working in Tokyo and two in Berlin, other than that I’ve been based in London, with some jobs in Paris, Hamburg and Barcelona as well. I’m ready to keep travelling, making money and getting everything I can out of modelling while I still can!!!

I’m not an idiot, I know these opportunities won’t be around forever and my agent doesn’t think I can balance university with my career right now, even though my older sister, who he also represents, has balanced Oxford uni alongside a successful modelling career.

Fashion is unpredictable and I’m not one of those models making enough to put down a deposit on a flat (or anything close!!!) but honestly with the way things are going I could put aside a sizeable amount again this year. I can almost certainly make good money in Tokyo again and probably Seoul even if the European market doesn’t keep going well and I flop in New York and LA.

BUT it’s really late to pull out of university now. I still REALLY want to take this degree and my whole family will be disappointed and upset if I drop out. I would also be upset if I couldn’t take this specific degree later on. I’ve spent months researching courses and I know this is the degree I want to take.

Any advice from someone working as a model would be really appreciated!!! Also any opinions on whether I could get back into this specific course.

Your course, English Lit BA with German Studies can be started in the future (maybe in 2 or 3 years). This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
so many people go to university later, at 25, 30, 40. you have your entire life to go to uni, but the modelling opportunities you’ve been presented with won’t wait around until you’ve finished uni. i would say focus on modelling for now, and reapply for uni later. if you’ve got the grades, i’m sure UoM will take you again. I’ve applied for Queen Mary University three times now (had to delay going a few times), and they’ve given me offers all 3 times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending