The Student Room Group

PAT preparation courses????

are there any good ones you would recommend? Preferably cheap/free.

I'm unsure of how to start revising and learn and practice course content by myself.
Thanks, everyone :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Not a course but I can strongly recommend as someone who did it last year:
Isaac physics - level 4 and 5 questions
Physics and maths tutor and the Oxfordpat Wordpress for solution to past papers.

Honestly I would avoid paying for any courses, the best prep is to go through all of the past papers, do some timed and some not timed, after you finish a paper, leave it then come back a few days later and have another go, before looking at solutions. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by tande33
Not a course but I can strongly recommend as someone who did it last year:
Isaac physics - level 4 and 5 questions
Physics and maths tutor and the Oxfordpat Wordpress for solution to past papers.

Honestly I would avoid paying for any courses, the best prep is to go through all of the past papers, do some timed and some not timed, after you finish a paper, leave it then come back a few days later and have another go, before looking at solutions. Best of luck!

thank you
I don't know where to start. I want to ensure I've learned the entire syllabus first before I start papers but idk where I can get notes for that. Do you know where I could? :frown:

btw did you get into Oxford?
Eldest passed the pat and got to interview stage. She did the 2020 entry so the 2019 paper was evil. Everyone said it was. Practice the other past papers on previous years apart from 2019 and 2012 (as they were harder ones) . Then once you have done those and got use to it, then try the 2019 one.
Reply 4
Original post by rxrx2004
thank you
I don't know where to start. I want to ensure I've learned the entire syllabus first before I start papers but idk where I can get notes for that. Do you know where I could? :frown:

btw did you get into Oxford?

Yeah I did (I got an offer that is), Um I believe that the PAT Wordpress has stuff like notes on key bits of the syllabus that you may not have seen much of school. But don't focus on the niche bits, experience with tackling problems is the key. Do ask any more Qs if you have any.
Reply 5
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Eldest passed the pat and got to interview stage. She did the 2020 entry so the 2019 paper was evil. Everyone said it was. Practice the other past papers on previous years apart from 2019 and 2012 (as they were harder ones) . Then once you have done those and got use to it, then try the 2019 one.

thank you for your advice

Original post by tande33
Yeah I did (I got an offer that is), Um I believe that the PAT Wordpress has stuff like notes on key bits of the syllabus that you may not have seen much of school. But don't focus on the niche bits, experience with tackling problems is the key. Do ask any more Qs if you have any.

thank you. Did you start with learning and understand the content or did you jump into past papers?
Reply 6
thank you for your advice

thank you. Did you start with learning and understand the content or did you jump into past papers?

Well, due to covid my school had already done most of the content. The only thing I went over was gravity and the equations that come with it. We had done electricity and circular motion. It depends what you have done at school
Reply 7
Original post by tande33
Well, due to covid my school had already done most of the content. The only thing I went over was gravity and the equations that come with it. We had done electricity and circular motion. It depends what you have done at school

the PAT only covers AS maths and Physics right?
Reply 8
the PAT only covers AS maths and Physics right?

I didn't do AS so have no idea sorry.
Reply 9
Original post by tande33

no problem
Reply 10
Original post by tande33

hey man, did you do Isaac Physics questions before starting with a paper? I'm just scared I'm going to waste the papers and I'm unsure how to start
Reply 11
Original post by tande33

Also I'm really sorry for bothering you over and over again but did you learn year 2 content in advance (For maths and Physics)?
Hi sorry, I was away on holiday the last week.

hey man, did you do Isaac Physics questions before starting with a paper? I'm just scared I'm going to waste the papers and I'm unsure how to start

I was doing at least one Isaac physics problem a day (more or less) for a good few months leading up to the exam. It was good prep for a level and interviews and I didi it until I felt I had finished most the problems on it (of appropriate difficulty). I would kinda randomly choose when to do papers as exam conditions were hard to get in my household (two younger noisy bros). Do NOT worry about 'wasting' the papers, as long as you don't look at the answer, the questions can be looked at many times and imo this helps you learn the best.

With regards to content, I took double maths and physics at a level so I was more or less finished with the single maths and had done 1st year of physics content plus maybe 1 topic. If you do the papers it will be clear what you haven't covered and I can always clarify topics with you :smile:. I remember thinking in my exam that the maths was topics I had covered early on, so I assume they would all have been AS.
Sorry for the wait and don't hesitate to ask more questions.
Reply 13
Original post by tande33
Hi sorry, I was away on holiday the last week.

I was doing at least one Isaac physics problem a day (more or less) for a good few months leading up to the exam. It was good prep for a level and interviews and I didi it until I felt I had finished most the problems on it (of appropriate difficulty). I would kinda randomly choose when to do papers as exam conditions were hard to get in my household (two younger noisy bros). Do NOT worry about 'wasting' the papers, as long as you don't look at the answer, the questions can be looked at many times and imo this helps you learn the best.

With regards to content, I took double maths and physics at a level so I was more or less finished with the single maths and had done 1st year of physics content plus maybe 1 topic. If you do the papers it will be clear what you haven't covered and I can always clarify topics with you :smile:. I remember thinking in my exam that the maths was topics I had covered early on, so I assume they would all have been AS.
Sorry for the wait and don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Thanks so much man, I'll let you know
Reply 14
Original post by tande33
I was doing at least one Isaac physics problem a day (more or less) for a good few months leading up to the exam. It was good prep for a level and interviews and I didi it until I felt I had finished most the problems on it (of appropriate difficulty).

Hi, for Isaac Physics problems, which level/category did you select?
4 and 5 from the question finder, do the mechanics and kinematics first then throw in some gravity and electricity.
Reply 16
Original post by tande33
4 and 5 from the question finder, do the mechanics and kinematics first then throw in some gravity and electricity.

thanks tande :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by tande33

Sorry man, last question, hate to keep annoying you but how much did you do per day? In terms of hours? Thanks man
Sorry man, last question, hate to keep annoying you but how much did you do per day? In terms of hours? Thanks man

Honestly I don't really remember a time frame as such but basically I was attempting maybe 2 or 3 full questions a day? I have just checked my account and my average activity was around 200? Idk what that means tho? Also some questions on there are way harder than what you get on the PAT.
Original post by tande33
Honestly I don't really remember a time frame as such but basically I was attempting maybe 2 or 3 full questions a day? I have just checked my account and my average activity was around 200? Idk what that means tho? Also some questions on there are way harder than what you get on the PAT.

hey do you have discord?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending